caseyclosed

Forum Expert
ELITE
caseyclosed
caseyclosed
ELITE
Ratings
518 24
When building a map, players typically view the map building guidelines as a way to fully understand the process. Overtime, these guidelines have been muddled by a continual mistake made by newer mappers. We are currently facing a period in time where map quality is plummeting dramatically and we quickly need to address this situation. From here forward, I will first discuss map quality, which includes build quality and parkour quality. As an example, I will first show you a map I deem to be of the highest quality.

Pictured above is the map UnicycleBear (Easy). I haven’t shown the build yet but I trust you will trust my judgement when it comes to map quality. In terms of parkour quality, this map is varied and fun. It fits the difficulty so no complaints. When examining this picture though, you notice the enchantment table, it doesn’t blend in. Aesthetic wise this is wrong, but functionality wise this is good. When helping EwoutV with this course, I told him that a head hitter jump might be a little too hard for a new player, so I told him to make it shorter than an actual block. This enchantment table has a purpose where if you run from the bottom of the dark oak stair and continue running until you are off the block, you will be able to bridge the gap and land on the enchantment table without requiring you to hit your head. Now, when examining the build, the map also shines.

You can instantly recognize that the build pictured above is a Bear on a Unicycle, hence the map title, UnicycleBear. It looks nice and there are no scaling issues within the build. The only problem I could identify within this photo is an unpleasing brewing stand at the top, but aesthetic is subjective. This is a fantastic example of a great easy map that would be accepted without hesitation. Now, if we view an easy map that's currently submitted, we’ll notice a problem and a stark difference in quality.

Pictured above is an accepted course titled “Mousetrap”. Build wise it’s simplistic but it’s nothing special. I don’t think too much effort went into this course as it’s just a rectangle with detailing on the top. I know a mousetrap isn’t that detailed either but you should choose a better theme if that is your problem. When examining the parkour it gets worse:

Let’s look at the parkour in terms of functionality. That cocoa bean pictured on the glass does nothing to change the jump to the white glass pane. That cactus block does nothing to change the jump to the cobble wall. That half-bed does nothing to change the jump to the daylight sensor. That filled cauldron does nothing to change the jump to the slime. Every single jump I listed above has a pointless block change that does nothing but harm the overall look of your map. When choosing blocks for certain jumps, you should consider functionality and aesthetic. The creator of this parkour didn’t consider either of those things. The only redeeming quality about this map is that the difficulty of the map somewhat fits.

Let’s take a look at difficulty now. When building parkour for your map, always have a difficulty in mind. It is also important that you have both skilled players and less skilled players test your map to gauge the difficulty of jumps. This will allow you to effectively nerf your parkour course. I will now present an example of parkour that does not fit the difficulty of the map.

This absolute gauntlet of a course is called BenchPress (Hard). There are some rather tricky jumps here. In the front you have a fence to block 3+1 which requires a 2 tick timing I believe. Further on, there is a weird vine jump where you have to jump around two different facing heads. It’s tricky for a hard map. After that is a weird butterfly slime neo and a jump where you need to jump on the side of heads with flower pots on top. These are jumps I would see on expert maps. I will not point out the unnecessary blocks above but please tell me if you see them in this forum thread.

Here is another example from the same map. There is a chest head hitter jump and then an ice 3 block ceiling 3+1. After that is a simple jump to a trapdoor and then to a vine. The last jump before the end of the map is a 3 block gap head hitter to grab the vine on the red wool. The thing that makes this tough is that it is x-facing which makes you hit the obsidian pillar’s corner sooner than you’d expect.

bernchpress 2.png

Now let’s take a look at an expert map accepted last month.

This is the start of the map Poseidon (Expert). It is far easier than the entirety of BenchPress which says something. Pictured above is an x-facing jump to a glass pane, a jump to a carpet and then to an iron trapdoor. From the iron trapdoor you go to the white pane, and then you do a pane up to the left light blue pane. This matches the difficulty of an expert unlike the latter map of BenchPress.

When examining Block Necessity / Functionality, I tend to notice that players seem to take the block variation rule at face value. They try to make every other block super unique, using brewing stands, cake, half beds, etc. These blocks typically add nothing to the course other than ruining the aesthetic which we noticed earlier with Mousetrap. Let’s take a look at two insane maps, one by a very skilled Mapmaker Kubikit, and another by one of the newer Mapmakers.

Examining Happy’s parkour, we notice a trend with this mapmaker.

This is the creator of Mousetrap, and we notice he put another useless cauldron there which only harms the aesthetic of his map.

This half bed has the same functionality of a slab so it does nothing but make a map look more ugly.

How does someone manage to make a jump look so ugly and pointless? The enchantment table changes the jump a little bit due to the different height but the half bed serves no purpose other than being an eyesore. It could simply be replaced by a slab or snow layers.

Now if we examine a map by Kubikit, you’ll notice something different

symbiosis example.png

Pictured above is Symbiosis (Insane). When looking at this image, the path is clear and every block has a function. The slab to the piston head is blocked by a glass pane which serves to make the jump more difficult. The fence gate above the piston head restricts your movement and forces you to jump to the right of the piston head. The fence with a pressure plate is an anti-cheese mechanism made to make sure that if you open the fence gate and then jump, you activate the pressure plate which then closes the fence gate for the next player. After jumping from the piston head to the ladder, there is a door which you need to glitch into in order to jump to the chest. The heads above the chest force you to jump to the farther end of the chest. The ladder is nothing special but it helps you reach the trapdoor. The trapdoor allows you to jump to a cocoa bean that isn’t in frame. You can understand that I could name every purpose of each jump in that sequence in an insane map. They didn’t randomly place half-beds, cauldrons, or enchantment tables. Just to show you an actual cauldron jump, her is a picture of the map CheepCheepBeach (Insane)

real cauldron jump.png

This jump can only be done by jumping from inside the cauldron. You have to jump from inside the cauldron, over the edge of the cauldron and into the water. If you were to jump from the upper rim or top of the block, you’d fall through the water. The same person who made the previous sequence made this as well seen by the sign that says Copyrighted by Kubikit.

This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to issues of new mappers. I hope people will read this and understand more about jump variation and difficulty issues. Always remember to have someone test your map, both skilled and unskilled.

Last edited:

GamersDecision

Forum Expert
ELITE
GamersDecision
GamersDecision
ELITE
Ratings
255 2
Great post and oml this was necessary. I've tried to talk about the quality of maps before, but a forum post definitely only helps. Every Mapper that makes a lot of maps should read this, well done casey! I'll be sure to try and keep this stuff in mind when making new levels!

IPattyI

Forum Legend
PATRON
IPattyI
IPattyI
Patron
Ratings
501 11
As I already mentioned, you put it wonderfully, Casey. As of late, or more so as of many months now, newer mappers have opted for parkour composed of as many visually disparate blocks, or as most people like to call it, "jump vomit." To tell you the truth, I legitimately have no idea where such a notion came from. I can't find anything that points to parkour oriented in such a manner in any of our several threads and articles revolving around map submissions. I suppose some people began to make parkour in that style and then every new mapper thought it was the norm. In that case, you can't really blame them. But I think it's about time for map parkour to go back to it's much more enjoyable, technical, and also visually pleasing state. This not only falls upon the players but the judges as well. After all, we are the ones responsible for accepting these maps. I implore all of you to help the newer mappers when they're making parkour, show them that they can focus on making enjoyable parkour without having to worry about using every single block in their arsenal. As for us, we'll try to do the same and exceed a somewhat marginally higher standard of parkour composition, if possible. It goes without saying that this type of parkour does not make up for the majority of the maps we accept and that people who did/do make parkour in such a way should not feel bad for doing so. No map is going to get un-accepted. The way I see it, this is just an advisory to newer mappers.

Kubikit

MVP
Kubikit
Kubikit
MVP
Ratings
I could not agree more with what's written above.

There is nothing more depressing than coming across a map and the first thing you see is an enchanting table slapped on a green wall, bonus point if the table could be replaced by a regular block that would serve the same purpose.

I don't want to praise my building way more than casey just did but come on, do everyone a favor and start actually caring about your shitty maps whith lazy ass themes and messy parkour that doesn't contain a single ounce of fun.
Building a map takes TIME, you absolutely NEED to think about EVERY single jump you intend on putting anywhere.

Parkour is all about flow ; jumping from a brewing stand to a cauldron with a cobweb in between breaks this entirely.

Note to map judges : How about you actually start rejecting maps other than the utter trash that's flooding the forums ? (you know the obvious stuff)(no offense btw)
A map should not be accepted solely on the fact that "it's ok, looks decent, parkour could be better"

I despise the mentality of "newer mappers" that get away with being lazy creating rushed maps only to get that sweet rank and recognition.
I also believe that the same people that are making said lazy maps are completely aware of the situation, but again, they're just lazy to do anything about it (prove me wrong).

ps : who cares about a server that claims to have 1000+ parkour maps, when 30% of them are objectively bad ?

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
One thing I'd like to note, especially in the comparison between Happy and Symbiosis:

Yes, as Casey said, every block used for the parkour should have a purpose (an aesthetic purpose counts!). However, this doesn't mean that every jump still needs to be different from the last, as seen in Symbiosis and Happy. Imagine that section of Kub's map using only spruce fences, brown wool, maybe a brown pane, and a flowerpot. It meets all the important criteria Casey mentions, and it's probably just as enjoyable (if you pull it off), albeit less technical. Notice that Symbiosis is now up there as one of the toughest Insanes. Jump vomit contributes greatly to inflated difficulty, but so does really slick, technical, aesthetically-pleasing art.

jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
I asked about this exact thing on a previous forum post and this is the answer I was looking for. Thank you

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
I agree with everything in this post and it was summed up very well. I always say that block variation with *purpose* is good. I am hoping to start making more maps again myself to assist in creating more maps with this in mind once again. I think if we as a community are more mindful about the parkour we are making aesthetically and technically, we will be a lot better off (as well as putting judges in a better position to accept more maps with these characteristics).

curtis

Dedicated Member
curtis18264
curtis18264
Ratings
121 2
This thread has good points but I want to point out that we shouldn't be too critical on new mappers for creating bland parkour. New mappers that have minimal prior experience with parkour just aren't going to immediately be able to make good parkour even if they try hard to make it unique because it takes time to figure WHAT makes a jump fun or special. I knew barely anything about parkour when I started making my first map and I really did spend a lot of time working on the parkour. I distinctly remember spending most of my time thinking of ways to make a jump different from just full block jumps, but it still ended up really bad.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
This thread has good points but I want to point out that we shouldn't be too critical on new mappers for creating bland parkour. New mappers that have minimal prior experience with parkour just aren't going to immediately be able to make good parkour even if they try hard to make it unique because it takes time to figure WHAT makes a jump fun or special. I knew barely anything about parkour when I started making my first map and I really did spend a lot of time working on the parkour. I distinctly remember spending most of my time thinking of ways to make a jump different from just full block jumps, but it still ended up really bad.
I think a major point casey tries to make here is that new mappers who start building in this way are less likely to improve or change because the judges and the criteria blindly accepts the maps if they have variation etc. i agree w you though

caseyclosed

Forum Expert
ELITE
caseyclosed
caseyclosed
ELITE
Ratings
518 24
yes it does take time to fully understand parkour flow but you'll never learn if you don't take the first step forward. experimenting with different tricks on the mapper world may be helpful to new players who want to learn how to build parkour

zzykrkv

Dedicated Member
VIP+
zzykrkv
zzykrkv
VIP+
Ratings
202 5
YES YES YES, It makes me want to oof when I see a good build butchered by a spam of brewing stands and other nonsense. These blocks may be more useless than you think, due to tiers. (cant be bothered explaining). I wrote a rant on this a while back but i think this does a much better job explaining why misc blocks =/= uniqueness and fun.

caseyclosed

Forum Expert
ELITE
caseyclosed
caseyclosed
ELITE
Ratings
518 24
lmfao nerd
why isnt there an essay regarding BEER quality and FOOTBALL necessity? Oh wait, you're a nerd!
this is way too funny for me dude

caseyclosed

Forum Expert
ELITE
caseyclosed
caseyclosed
ELITE
Ratings
518 24
Imagine that section of Kub's map using only spruce fences, brown wool, maybe a brown pane, and a flowerpot. It meets all the important criteria Casey mentions, and it's probably just as enjoyable (if you pull it off), albeit less technical. Notice that Symbiosis is now up there as one of the toughest Insanes.
A very valid point that I have talked about in other forums post. Technical doesn't exactly mean streamlined, but Kub tends to excel at technicality. At the time of the post, I felt it was a good example of harder purposeful technical parkour, and I still believe this. The problem of jump purpose has diminished since then and map quality was at an all time high not too long ago. I like to use a strategy I called limited variation when building parkour now. It's a method where you limit yourself to only using a few different block types in order to squeeze out the most creativity. I'd say its similar to what you described. If you wanna read up on it, it's right here https://manacube.com/threads/basics-parkour-variance-and-self-constraint.78459/