An investigation into mining methods

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeee

VIP
heeeeeeeeeeeeee
heeeeeeeeeeeeee
VIP
Ratings
So, here's another dumb math post, but it might save you a some time when ranking up. I will be investigating the efficiency of various mining methods:
Method One: Messy Mining
It might be hated but how effective is it. For this test I will be mostly running around and randomly mining as fast as I can.
Blocks after 10 mins of mining: 9,656

Method Two: One By Two
For this one, I will be mining as fast as I can in 1x2 block rows (the same dimensions as the player). You can keep your mouse still for this one.
Blocks after 10 mins of mining: 6,233

Method Three: Two By Two
For this one, I will be mining as fast as I can in rows of 2x2 block squares. I draw a small circle with my mouse when mining to achieve this.
Blocks after 10 mins of mining: 8,016

Method Four: Three By Two
For this one, I will be mining as fast as I can in rows of 3x2 block rectangles. I draw a slightly bigger circle to catch the extra row of blocks.
Blocks after 10 mins of mining: 8,933

Conclusion (TL;DR)
  • Messy mining is the best mining technique for speed. It's 8% more effective than the best neat mining.
  • The best neat mining technique is three by two; although it requires more hand movement.
  • This means that after an hour of mining, a messy miner will mine around 5,000 more blocks than the best neat miner, and 20,000 more than someone who mines 1x2.
(Obviously this is all irrelevant if you have a trench pick)

Last edited: