Border Greifing?

LittleCheeky123

ELITE
LittleCheeky123
LittleCheeky123
ELITE
Ratings
Good morning all,

I wanted to bring to the attention of all the border griefing bans. The definition that is being followed to cover border griefing is below, directly from your website.

Griefing
Intentional
destruction of another player's build. This also includes stealing, and killing contained passive mobs in other players territory. (This does not include grinders)

Please note the following words; intentional and players territory.

Intentional griefing would mean that there is a malicious nature behind the griefing. The intended purpose of griefing as laid out in the rules is to destroy that player's build within their town territory.

Player's territory obviously refers to the claimed area of the town in our case. If its a claimed town, you cannot grief it unless you have previously been trusted in said town. Border griefing appears to allow the town more area than it actually has claimed. I understand it may impact the surrounding area of the town. But realistically, if the town complains about their surrounding area of their town being griefed, then isn't that on them to claim more area......

I want to see a revision of the rules, either to map it out explicitly, so poor admin team are not getting abused for banning players when the bannable offense isn't explicitly in the rules. In addition, a revision of the punishment for the crime - does the timeframe banned match the severity of the banned offense.

I would love to hear feedback and see a change. The people of this server is what keeps it fun and enjoyable.

~LittleCheeky123

SkyDieGame

Earth Mod+ | Skyblock Mod | Islands Mod
Moderator+
SkyDieGame
SkyDieGame
Mod+
Ratings
125 5
Heya!
Thanks for the feedback on this. I will give the post a few days before i get back to it.

I just want to point this out tho: You may not destroy the map terrain by draining, flooding with lava or water, making cobble monsters, placing a lot of random blocks, deforestation (burning a lot of trees), or digging large holes unless the area is claimed.

- SkyDieGame

SlyHaze

ELITE
SlyHaze
SlyHaze
ELITE
Ratings
I do agree that the rules need more clarity. But I do wanna point our that it COULD fall under the Physical trolling rule:
Physical Trolling
Purposely trying to interfere with a players gameplay by getting in their way, hurting or trolling them will result in a temporary ban. For example preventing a player from building or using a fishing rod or grappling hook to knock them into a PvP arena.
I know that is kind of a stretch, but it is also noted in the rules to not try and get around the rules:
If you see something that would typically be illegal on other networks, but is not specifically listed here, please do not attempt it. Staff have extensive training and all punishments are given at staff discretion.
That being said, staff ultimately have the ability to see if a player is disrupting gameplay and they are able to act accordingly.

LittleCheeky123

ELITE
LittleCheeky123
LittleCheeky123
ELITE
Ratings
I completely agree. But again it’s a lot of assumptions, you don’t know the intent.
Honestly if you aren’t allowed to place random blocks when searching, every single player would be banned.

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,320 82
Staff are expected to use discretion when it comes to griefing and (border) griefing offences.

Border griefing, in particular, tends to also include claiming land right next to an existing party/town to prevent them from expanding the land (such is the case on Survival). Staff are very capable of telling the difference between one or two blocks placed next to an existing claim, and a large construction/destruction right next to the area which would make it difficult for the claim to be expanded upon.

It would be impossible to cover every single form of "griefing" in one document, especially as players will find new ways to grief others, and if one way is missed out - we'll have players complaining again if they are banned for "griefing" in a way that wasn't listed. Really, players are expected to use common sense as much as staff are expected to use discretion when handling reports.

I can see your point in why you would like to see maybe a better explanation of the rules, however, I disagree with your reasoning. Admins and staff should not be "abused" in any way over a punishment. Staff are more than willing to ask questions and discuss punishments after they're given - what staff aren't prepared to do is tolerate abusive, hateful and derogatory language being thrown at them. What a player believes to be a wrongful ban does not excuse rude behaviour. It's ultimately up to the player to be respectful if they want to discuss and resolve the issue properly. No staff member will turn a player away if they're approached calmly to discuss punishments.

Players are of course entitled to their own opinions, and can 100% ask for more information if they do not understand a punishment that was given, this is just my two cents on updating the entire rules page based on minor misunderstandings that from experience don't happen too frequently! :)