Chat filter #MakeMVGreatAgain

Dank McMemes (Neel)

Donator
Ratings
25 1
Ok, so why is a chat filter in place on creative?! There is no need for it, it was fine before. The EULA says nothing about chat, so why?!
(I could complain how America has a freedom of speech law as basic rights, but I'll save that for later)
Swearing is normal for creative. I think MV is turning into a 9-year-old's playhouse, and it sucks.

SENPAI DAKOTA PLS NO

#MakeMVGreatAgain

cheeseboy

Dedicated Member
Donator
Ratings
80 9
or a Minecraft option in 1.9.5 in the Chat Settings for "Swearing: Enabled/Disabled" and Minecraft has all the swear words on the list..

Dynsalir

Admin | Staff Manager
Admin
Ratings
509 22
Ok, so why is a chat filter in place on creative?! There is no need for it, it was fine before. The EULA says nothing about chat, so why?!
(I could complain how America has a freedom of speech law as basic rights, but I'll save that for later)
Swearing is normal for creative. I think MV is turning into a 9-year-old's playhouse, and it sucks.

SENPAI DAKOTA PLS NO

#MakeMVGreatAgain
Hey Hydra,

I wasn't going to reply but then I saw your shit about freedom of speech and I just wanted to clarify a few things.
  1. This server is not a United States server. It is hosted in Canada and run by a Canadian and an Irishman. Your freedoms don't apply.
  2. If you actually take the time to read about your freedom of speech you will learn that it is really only to allow you to openly talk about and criticise the government. It does not apply to privately run things such as MineVast. Look at how Facebook, Twitter and YouTube can take down accounts and posts without any warning - its the same thing.
Situations where you speech isn't actually free;
Speech is unprotected if it constitutes "fighting words". Fighting words, as defined by the Court, is speech that "tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace" by provoking a fight, so long as it is a "personally abusive [word] which, when addressed to the ordinary citizen, is, as a matter of common knowledge, inherently likely to provoke a violent reaction". Additionally, such speech must be "directed to the person of the hearer" and is "thus likely to be seen as a 'direct personal insult'".

Along with fighting words, speech might be unprotected if it either intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly inflicts severe emotional distress.

Threats of violence that are directed at a person or group of persons that has the intent of placing the target at risk of bodily harm or death are generally unprotected.
Lets just quickly talk about the above. When I join a server, lets say its Parkour, 9 out of 10 times I will walk into an argument where people are throwing insult after insult at each other. Previously we had given you the freedom to talk how you wanted but it has gotten to the point where everyone is using this freedom to verbally attack other players and that is something that we don't stand for.

If the player base were actually mature, and didn't act like 9 year olds, then you would still be allowed to express yourself using expletives... but unfortunately that is not the case. So to try and clean up the community a bit we've gone to drastic measures as it seems simply telling people to stop has no effect.

So if the community is able to pull itself together and stop acting like kids then we would consider removing the filter. That is what would #MakeMVGreatAgain.

BaconBoy2015

Donator
Ratings
69 1
Chat on Creative has always been aids, and has only gotten worse.

And yeah I hate people that use freedom of speech as a reason for them to say anything they want. Like Dylan said, freedom of speech protects you from the government. It doesn't give you the right to be a prick.

However, I do think that a chat filter with no toggle is a pretty bad move. A suggestion (cough cough nudge nudge Dylan/Dakota) would be to just have the filter on by default for all new players and give ALL players (so not just donators) the ability to turn it off/on as they like (still have racial/homophobic slurs blocked out though).

Dynsalir

Admin | Staff Manager
Admin
Ratings
509 22
A suggestion (cough cough nudge nudge Dylan/Dakota) would be to just have the filter on by default for all new players and give ALL players (so not just donators) the ability to turn it off/on as they like (still have racial/homophobic slurs blocked out though).
That is always a possibility. But only if the community can improve while the filter is in place - to point where allowing them to toggle the filter wont have them revert back to how they where. If it was toggle-able currently then it would defeat the whole purpose of having it put in place.

Itchin(Qhysics)

Forum Master
Donator
Ratings
281 37
That is always a possibility. But only if the community can improve while the filter is in place - to point where allowing them to toggle the filter wont have them revert back to how they where. If it was toggle-able currently then it would defeat the whole purpose of having it put in place.
I think there is a glitch with the filter where if you repeat something you said before your last message it blocks it. I still don't like that you cannot repeat that same thing more than once. People really don't repeat the same thing over and over again on kitpvp so can you at least remove it on KitPvP?

ILiekSand | Sand

Dedicated Member
Donator
Ratings
115 29
I think there is a glitch with the filter where if you repeat something you said before your last message it blocks it. I still don't like that you cannot repeat that same thing more than once. People really don't repeat the same thing over and over again on kitpvp so can you at least remove it on KitPvP?
I'm guessing the reason that they dont repeat the same thing over & over again is cuz they can't..

toshin0

VIP
sunflowers33d
sunflowers33d
VIP
Ratings
24 2
Hey Hydra,

I wasn't going to reply but then I saw your shit about freedom of speech and I just wanted to clarify a few things.
  1. This server is not a United States server. It is hosted in Canada and run by a Canadian and an Irishman. Your freedoms don't apply.
  2. If you actually take the time to read about your freedom of speech you will learn that it is really only to allow you to openly talk about and criticise the government. It does not apply to privately run things such as MineVast. Look at how Facebook, Twitter and YouTube can take down accounts and posts without any warning - its the same thing.

Lets just quickly talk about the above. When I join a server, lets say its Parkour, 9 out of 10 times I will walk into an argument where people are throwing insult after insult at each other. Previously we had given you the freedom to talk how you wanted but it has gotten to the point where everyone is using this freedom to verbally attack other players and that is something that we don't stand for.

If the player base were actually mature, and didn't act like 9 year olds, then you would still be allowed to express yourself using expletives... but unfortunately that is not the case. So to try and clean up the community a bit we've gone to drastic measures as it seems simply telling people to stop has no effect.

So if the community is able to pull itself together and stop acting like kids then we would consider removing the filter. That is what would #MakeMVGreatAgain.
Well, that ain't happening. Most the people on this server arent over 15 (At least the majority) Just face it that Creative's chat is gonna have filters forever

I52SI

Forum Expert
Donator
Ratings
159 26
I can agree with both sides of this argument. For one, Dynsalir was right about this server being immature and crazy. But for Neel and practically everyone else who doesn't use it to insult people, well they don't really deserve to have it taken away.