Concerning PvP - Bringing back the dead

The Dead

After having played on MineVast for at least 3 to 4 months, I can safely say that the server I am most interested about is the survival one; having a vast world to explore, playing on 1.9 with the new end, pvp and items, interacting via building, managing resources or fighting with other players - all of these are what survival minecraft is trully about, and the Survival server on MineVast can offer them all.
However, truth be told, a part of survival in which MineVast really lacks at is PvP - the hand to hand combat between players. The MineVast Survival offers a safe and unique experience through the ability to toggle pvp on and off, something that ensures no one unfamiliar with pvp is able to gat dragged into it. However, where the mess actually starts is when players do decide to turn on their pvp and fight eachother.

But Why?

Playing PvP is a risk, isn't it? You put precious items in the fire lane, willing to consacre precious time spent crafting them - and for what price? Obviously to get another's inventory, or to at least get the satisfaction of having won a match - by killing your opponent. But how is any survival player who has turned on their pvp able to achieve any of that, if there are so many exploits able to be used on the part of the loser, to avoid their loss?
Let's get more pecise now. Admittedly, the first thing that comes into mind when pvp'ing and losing, is the thought of "I wish I could just instantly and flawlessly tp away". And that's exactly what happens. Any player has the ability to teleport almost instantly while in pvp, just with the push of seven keys: "/spawn <enter>". Allowing players to be able to teleport while in combat to spawn, their home, their party home, any other player on the server, any landmark warps or even any random place in the world (/rtp) ruins the PvP experience. The player losing easily uses this trick, and since it isn't punishable, pvp is completely pointless. Sure, anyone could say that a tp cooldown system has been implemented, but it is not working properly, as a player will get teleported to their chosen location regardless of wether they are in pvp or not. No movement or damage is detectable by the system. So, everytime I lose a battle, I can tp away legally, leaving my opponent wondering why they even went through the struggle of pvp'ing in the first place.
All tp's should be disabled when a player locks in combat, and get enabled again once they die, kill their opponent or not take damage for a pre-determined amount of time. This way, tping will become instant once again for no pvp'ers, and fighters can rest assured that their opponent can tp away instantly with half a heart.

And if that wasn't enough, players are also able to turn off their pvp while on pvp. I don't have to explain why this one is a party popper. If being able to tp away instantly is killing pvp, then being able to become invincible to player hits completely and anticlimactically destroys it. Turning on your PvP and starting a fight holds great responsibility. As I mentionned, you are risking lots of hours of hard work just to get someone's inventory. As understandable as this is, being able to toggle it on and off while in pvp is utter chaos. When turning pvp on, it's like signing a paper saying "I might lose my items, but I want to risk it". Thus, if PvP is a choice, backing up while in combat should not in any case be allowed. Toggling pvp off while in combat should not be allowed by any means, as it destroys the whole premise of pvp - a choice, a risk, a win or a loss. If you cannot risk your items, and have to toggle pvp off half way through the fight, dont start it. Pvp should become toggleable once again after death, kill or after a specific amount of time has passed away from combat.
And last but certainly not least on our blood-thirsty list is the fearful "PvP Log-out". Logging our while in PvP is a great way to get out of a sticky situation - just jump to the real world and hope your opponent will be gone when you get back. Besides, "they'll have to sleep at some point, right?" When a player logs out in PvP, it is the same as just tp'ing away, with the exception of them being completely invincible, simply because they are inexistant. However, I do understand that no one can really provoke a pvp logger, mostly because no one can tell them how to use minecraft and its setting. Regardless of that though, after the logger returns to the server, their opponent should be able to immediately claim their inventory, and use it as they wish. That way, accidental log-outs between friends will not be punishable, while a genuine try to affect the ending of a fight will be.

Hold on, is there more

Oh yes, there is. And here is the moment I was most anxious about, as we will now be talking about ranked players' advantages in PvP. Ranked players, meaning players who have purchased any rank wanting to get perks in MineVast's different servers, also get a few ones exclusive to survival. Most of them, like turning XP into XP bottles, more homes or the ability to rename your items in color, do not in any way affect pvp. But admittedly, there are some that do. It should be common knowledge that being able to completely heal your health, to replenish your items' durablity or your hunger, to fly (!) will infact give a huge advantage to players while in pvp. This way, players who have purchased ranks are litterally immortal (Just heal and repair your items constantly while your opponent slowly but surely dies, and loses their armor piece by piece).
Using perks like the ones mentionned above while in combat, as well as using vehicles, speed chengers etc should not be allowed, as it makes the fight completely pointless to the non-ranked players. This obviously does not mean that the perks provided by their respectibe ranks will become completely useless, but the pvp experience will become far more fair. Alas, we should never forget that pvp is a choice, so no one gets dragged into it without wanting to take any risks.
"But Mark, survival is not safe anymore" I hear you saying, and the answer is that there is no way, a server with toggleable pvp to turn unsafe for anyone. Anyone can disable pvp as they wish, and this change will only affect the people willing to pvp - no one outside of pvp should be deprived from the ability to tp, to log out, to turn it on and off as they wish, or to use the perks they have literally bought.
Those are some thoughts I had in mind for quite some time. If you made it through this wall-extravaganza in one piece, thank you for taking the time to read my ideas. Make sure to comment on them, and let me here your opinion on the matter.

~ Thinking for a better server, Mark (Super_GodFather)

ntc

Forum Expert
ELITE
ntc
ntc
ELITE
Ratings
249 13
I went onto the forums to try to get my rewards and I saw this, so I logged onto my forums account for the first time in 3 months to tell you that survival PvP is dead because overall 1.9 PvP is terrible and nobody really likes it. The people that actually like PvP in Minevast would go to KitPvP or Barebones and they are usually dead anyway because of 1.8 also not being very good for PvP.

This is a fairly solid argument, although rather narrow-minded. In my opinion, both styles of PvP fit to different categories of people. It all really depends on what you are looking for in a PvP match. And for people who play PvP in survival, 1.9 pvp is obviously what they want. Otherwise, they wouldn't really bother turning it on in the first place. So why not give those people a well designed and well thought-out PvP experience? In the end, if you don't like 1.9 pvp, you can just turn it right off. This is why a reform concerning PvP wouldn't really hurt anyone. However, I do agree that most people do prefer 1.8 pvp instead.

ronanashmancer

Dedicated Member
VIP
Ratings
102 2
Hello,

We have took all of the feedback and considerations on pvp logging, most people do not like these changes but they were made. All /tpa, /spawn etc have a three second wait. Understood that this fixes some portions of the problem. But, for the pvp thing, we can not just have a super long cool down, have one at all. Somethings are just somethings that can't be generally fixed. However, I hope that the fixes that were changed went to your standards.

See you in game!
-RonanAshMancer

Hello,

We have took all of the feedback and considerations on pvp logging, most people do not like these changes but they were made. All /tpa, /spawn etc have a three second wait. Understood that this fixes some portions of the problem. But, for the pvp thing, we can not just have a super long cool down, have one at all. Somethings are just somethings that can't be generally fixed. However, I hope that the fixes that were changed went to your standards.

See you in game!
-RonanAshMancer

Hello there,

First things first, I would like to thank you for taking some time to read this post. Seeing that pvp in survival has undergone a reform concerning tp's sounds like a great idea, and definitely a step towards the right direction. I also understand how difficult it is to apply any sort of change to a server where people have been playing for quite a bit of time. So, thank you for taking into consideration some of my suggestions. However, I have to say that the tp cooldown does not work as intented in survival, as you can still tp while moving or taking damage. I do not know if this will keep being an issue after the revamp though, so I just wanted to report it.

~ Thank you, and see you after the reset - Mark (Super_Godfather)