How to Moderate/Stop Necroposting

SSM_GOD

Forum Legend
Ratings
1,890 47
I know this isn't really common, or a major issue, or really a problem at all, but more of just an idea.
If you don't know, necro posting is when you comment or push an old/dead thread back into the active ones. This can be anoying to many as it's been seen before and moved on from... blah blah blah you get the gist.
But a simple solution I thought of and am presenting here is to have threads automatically become locked to new comments, but still visible, after say, 3 months of inactivity.

An example of this problem can be seen in speediar's potion guide from 2016
https://manacube.com/threads/guide-to-potions.9942/
This probably happened when the new member google searched something like "how to make lingering potions on manacube" and clicked on this link.
These kinds of questions are pretty easy to answer like I did, but I guess the main question from this is if the annoyance or transgression of the necropost outweighs the work put in to deal with it.

What do you think of adding a time limit to threads being open to comments? To me there is a very interesting philosophical aspect to this aswell.

Tenshi

Forum Legend
VIP+
Ratings
949 86
I know this isn't really common, or a major issue, or really a problem at all, but more of just an idea.
If you don't know, necro posting is when you comment or push an old/dead thread back into the active ones. This can be anoying to many as it's been seen before and moved on from... blah blah blah you get the gist.
But a simple solution I thought of and am presenting here is to have threads automatically become locked to new comments, but still visible, after say, 3 months of inactivity.

An example of this problem can be seen in speediar's potion guide from 2016
https://manacube.com/threads/guide-to-potions.9942/
This probably happened when the new member google searched something like "how to make lingering potions on manacube" and clicked on this link.
These kinds of questions are pretty easy to answer like I did, but I guess the main question from this is if the annoyance or transgression of the necropost outweighs the work put in to deal with it.

What do you think of adding a time limit to threads being open to comments? To me there is a very interesting philosophical aspect to this aswell.
Necroposting should 100% be a rule. Its technically like, spam? Would help the forums a lot.

Or even auto locking threads that haven't been replied to in over 1 month or something

anxi

Forum Legend
ELITE
sunflowerv6
sunflowerv6
ELITE
Ratings
994 38
We want people to be able to contribute to discussions. Not being allowed to post on older threads within a specific timeframe (in my opinion at least) would be discouraging.
Necro posting doesn’t seem to be a big issue at the moment, but if it ever did become one, I wouldn’t think one month would be enough, I was thinking years tbh.
But this is just all my opinion doe.

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
I think necroposting only becomes a problem on this forums platform when people try to spam posts for staff applications. That seems to be the only time I really see people do it, solely to post boost. At that point, there's probably other rules that person is breaking (such as spam, like you said) or making really short posts (which is also not allowed because it's post boosting).
Being a long time fan of forum sites in general, necroposting could be a LOT worse than it is here. I wondered about necroposting not being in the rules when I first joined, only to find it wasn't really a problem! My concern about it not being a rule kinda dissipated.