Napkinz

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Napkinz
Napkinz
ELITE
Ratings
114 1
If you play Survival, you know that MomGetTheLantern is a literal god at Manapond lmao. While I think it's cool for them to be able to have this reputation of being really good at it, I've tried to look deeper into why they get stuff at the Manapond so easily. I've noticed that they don't spam their fishing rod like most others do. I have tried doing this as well, but I still couldn't catch much. Thinking about it, I believe it comes down to ping.

I wouldn't normally make a thread like this because I don't want anyone to feel bad about being good at the game. However, it does result in slower progression for other players. For /rankup level 4, you need to have 5 Manapond catches. As someone who works and misses some pond events, I found it extremely hard with my ping that is normally 140+ to get even 5 catches. To add to that, in party quests you need 50 Manapond catches. I currently have a 2 man party and we're finding it difficult to acheive it. I understand that Survival you are supposed to work for you things and we have no issues doing that. However, it does bring a bit of a bummer that we are demotivated to use the Manapond because it feels like a waste of time. I'm unsure of a solution that would be well approved by most (removing/blocking MomGetTheLantern is NOT a viable solution imo) so I thought I'd bring it up in a thread.

My party's suggestions:
- Remove the schedule and have it randomly throughout the day.
- Add a randomized chance of success when hooking an item.
Preferably, there is no way of improving this successs chance. It would stay truly randomized making luck more of a thing at the pond.
- Add a "cooldown" that would only last a very little amount of time.
A few moments after catching an item, it gives time for others a chance to hook something themselves.
- Nerf the 50 Manapond catches to something a little easier for smaller sized parties.

DISCLAIMER:
Any comments being disrespectful or rude towards MomGetTheLantern will be reported by me. That is not what this thread is about. I just want new players and my friends to be able to enjoy the Manapond.

anxi

Forum Legend
ELITE
sunflowerv6
sunflowerv6
ELITE
Ratings
994 38
Hey Nap!
This is a very good point you bring up. I definitely agree with you, and I'm sure the entirety of survival will too haha
I suggest adding this to Feature Upvote so that players can comment and upvote your idea. https://manacube.featureupvote.com/
I think nerfing the 50 ManaPond catches is definitely the way to go, and maybe spreading out the times so there isn't a big 12 hour gap would work too. Also the idea of a cooldown sounds promising too! Maybe like a message above the hotbar though so it doesn't flood chat.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Fishing and Manapond are both ping based. What took me over an hour to get took someone less then 20 minutes to fish. Would be nice if fishing/Manapond in general weren’t tied to ping so much.

cult

Dedicated Member
ELITE
gaycult
gaycult
ELITE
Ratings
54 1
I totally agree with this, it is much harder to play manapond well with high ping and all of these suggestions look extremely useful and I would be very open to seeing them and possibly more in the game. The only suggestion I would have is to not have it off a schedule, this would make it much harder for smaller parties to complete the 50 catch quest if people cannot be on at that time.

Kevvv_Plays

MVP+
Kevvv_Plays
Kevvv_Plays
MVP+
Ratings
11 1
I gotta be honest, I have intentionally missed several Mana Ponds while im on throughout the day simply because I dont wanna bother wasting my time XD. It seems nearly impossible for me to catch anything and the few times I have, its been junk or bugged and never actually got my items. I think it would be cool to see a mix of a couple set times and then a few random times it starts up. I would also like to see it feel more balanced or as if everyone actually had a chance. I know its based on luck and probably skill but, i'm sure im not the only one that cant be bothered with it.

Napkinz

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Napkinz
Napkinz
ELITE
Ratings
114 1
So which of my parties suggestions do you think would be best fitting to help the situation? Or do you guys have any ideas yourselves? I definitely think making the Manapond catches from 50 to like 25 would be helpful. I also think keeping the schedule and then maybe 3 random times would be nice.

MomGetTheLantern

ELITE
MomGetTheLantern
MomGetTheLantern
ELITE
Ratings
71 1
Okay, u made some interesting suggestions for sure. So here's my view/opinion on things. Yes, ping helps however it is in no way a guarantee for a lot of catches. My ping usually stays between 100 - 120 and there are a lot of people who experience similar or lower ping and catch less. I also used to do mana pond on aether in February and March so u could say I had a lot of time to practice before we got it on survival. One thing I am also noticing is other people catching more and more the longer the season goes on. It takes time to get good at new "mechanics" and it would be unreasonable to think u can just catch 15+ items in the first pond u do. Practice makes perfect. To then be punishing players who are more experienced with manapond seems kinda unreasonable in my opinion. So I don't agree with putting a cooldown after catching something. Removing the schedule would make it harder for people who are only able to play a short amount per day to plan around a manapond. So in the end, if I had to choose one of these it would be to lower the requirement for the party quest. However, 50 is in no way an unreasonable amount of catches, personally I feel like it's a good amount for a party. (Then again I do not know how manapond looks for people with 200+ ping so I can't talk for them)

ItzMarni

Dedicated Member
ELITE
ItzMarni
ItzMarni
ELITE
Ratings
100 17
Agreed.

awesomeboy__

Forum Expert
PATRON
awesomeboy__
awesomeboy__
Patron
Ratings
241 9
Ping definitely plays a factor in this but strategy also plays a huge factor. As someone with 100+ catches I kinda know the strategy and I'm gonna share it with yall here.

I actually once took my time to watch manapond and not catch at it. I noticed that a lot of people were successfully putting their hook on the item which is not that hard, keep in mind that the item is an ARMOR STAND and not just the item, which means the hitbox is significantly bigger. People get their hooks on their item, but they don't hook it back. You have to hook it back to get the item. You also have to be the FIRST to do that.

- Remove the schedule and have it randomly throughout the day.

I don't think this is the best idea for a few reasons. For one, an inconsistent schedule could be bad for a player who only has time to play like an hour a day. If they want to catch stuff at manapond, with a schedule it means they know when they need to be on for it. But without one its really luck based whether or not you get to do a manapond

- Add a randomized chance of success when hooking an item.
Preferably, there is no way of improving this successs chance. It would stay truly randomized making luck more of a thing at the pond.

Like I said above, its not really luck based and a tiny bit of ping play apart of this. You also have to hook the item back. This is a good idea but I think its almost impossible to code, but maybe Dacon can pull it off.

- Add a "cooldown" that would only last a very little amount of time.
A few moments after catching an item, it gives time for others a chance to hook something themselves.

I really like this idea, but once again probably very hard to code.

- Nerf the 50 Manapond catches to something a little easier for smaller sized parties.

I like this idea, but large parties can abuse it by kicking some member, finishing the quest, then inviting them back.

Here are some of my suggestions (not really suggestions but things people can do to get better at manapond):
- I don't know when Aether manapond is, but if it isn't at the same time as survival. I recommend you practice doing manapond there.
- Do as many manaponds as possible. Remember what time they are and if you can make it just go and do it.
- Hook back the item. Like I said before you have to hook back the item.
- Finally, Lantern is almost never at the last manapond of the day. So you should go there if you want a higher chance of catching items.

Also on the topic of manapond I hate it when people rod you in the face and keep it there (because they don't notice it) and that stupid hook takes up the whole middle of your screen making it impossible to do manapond. Don't do that please ty :). Oh and if you accidentally hook a player instead of the item and can't get your hook off. Switch off the rod in your hotbar then go back to it.

-Peter-

MVP+
PETEERRR
PETEERRR
MVP+
Ratings
Okay, u made some interesting suggestions for sure. So here's my view/opinion on things. Yes, ping helps however it is in no way a guarantee for a lot of catches. My ping usually stays between 100 - 120 and there are a lot of people who experience similar or lower ping and catch less. I also used to do mana pond on aether in February and March so u could say I had a lot of time to practice before we got it on survival. One thing I am also noticing is other people catching more and more the longer the season goes on. It takes time to get good at new "mechanics" and it would be unreasonable to think u can just catch 15+ items in the first pond u do. Practice makes perfect. To then be punishing players who are more experienced with manapond seems kinda unreasonable in my opinion. So I don't agree with putting a cooldown after catching something. Removing the schedule would make it harder for people who are only able to play a short amount per day to plan around a manapond. So in the end, if I had to choose one of these it would be to lower the requirement for the party quest. However, 50 is in no way an unreasonable amount of catches, personally I feel like it's a good amount for a party. (Then again I do not know how manapond looks for people with 200+ ping so I can't talk for them)
i agree... but maybe give others a chance sometimes lmfao

Napkinz

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Napkinz
Napkinz
ELITE
Ratings
114 1
Thanks for replying, I do appreciate it. I do disagree with some of your points but after bringing up some points to my party mate, he suggested something else. (It'll be at the bottom of this reply). I'd like to know your thoughts on it!

I like this idea, but large parties can abuse it by kicking some member, finishing the quest, then inviting them back.
I mean every single party would have to get it no matter what size. The suggestion was just specifically aimed at being beneficial for smaller parties. I get your point tho! <3

As someone with 100+ catches I kinda know the strategy and I'm gonna share it with yall here.
Wow, I really appreciate your whole reply and you sharing the strategy with the rest of us struggling haha. Thank you so much!

New Suggestion:
So for everyone, what do you think about having a practice manapond? It'll be an entirely different area that'll throw out items that aren't good at all (like normal fish or rotten flesh) that'll help players catch onto the mechanics with less frustration.

New Suggestion:
So for everyone, what do you think about having a practice manapond? It'll be an entirely different area that'll throw out items that aren't good at all (like normal fish or rotten flesh) that'll help players catch onto the mechanics with less frustration.[/QUOTE]
This would be cool as long as it's only active at certain times of the day. If it was on all the time it might cause server lag

Napkinz

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Napkinz
Napkinz
ELITE
Ratings
114 1
New Suggestion:
So for everyone, what do you think about having a practice manapond? It'll be an entirely different area that'll throw out items that aren't good at all (like normal fish or rotten flesh) that'll help players catch onto the mechanics with less frustration.
This would be cool as long as it's only active at certain times of the day. If it was on all the time it might cause server lag[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was worried about lag was well. :( I think it should only be added if it doesn't cause lag. Right now, the TPS on Survival doesn't seem to be holding up too well anyways. So this is def something to be added later.

Katiekanji

PATRON
Katiekana
Katiekana
Patron
Ratings
21 1
I think ping has a lot to do with it, but I also think practice comes into play quite a bit. I have over 60 catches with around 1k ping so it is possible c: