Mining 99 & Blast Techniques (updated)

Danny__

Ratings
I forgot to post this so it’s been sitting on my laptop for almost a week (my bad)

So, as it turns out, I got a few things wrong in the previous post about how long it takes to get to mining level 99. As explained to me by Sil and EmperorBonaparte, blast is a little more than it says it is. Blast 1 mines 3x3, but you actually get 10 XP from it. Blast 2 mines 3x3x2 and gives you 19 XP instead of 18. This made the whole topic of mining a lot more complicated. EmperorBonaparte helped me out with some maths on the new-found knowledge and calculated that, with blast 1, it would actually take 48hrs and 50 minutes, over 5 hours less than the original time calculated.
However, this assumes that blast mines a 3x3 hole every time, which it doesn’t always do. By clicking the middle of a 3x3 square you break the 8 surrounding blocks.
blast 3x3.png
But depending on how you mine, this won’t always be the case.
blast 2x3.png
Typically, when mining side by side (or vertically) your pickaxe doesn’t always hit the middle of a 3x3 square, but the side of one. This ends up mining 6 blocks, which in turn gives you 7 mining XP. By mining 6 blocks you actually get more XP per block (1.66) compared to mining 9 blocks (1.11).
Seeing as the God mine is a 56x56 layout, we can calculate the compare XP per 3 layers (mined by blast) with each method.

3x3:
(56/3) x 10 x 56
= 10453.33 (XP per the 3 layers typically mined with blast)

2x3:
(56/2) x 7 x 56
= 10976 (XP)

Using the 2x3 mining method gets you 432.66 more XP per 3 layers (I don’t think there’s a name for this so I’m just going to call it a layer group)
Most would say 432 extra isn’t much and, well, it isn’t, but what really matters is which technique is faster.

I believe a substantial amount of coffee could motivate me enough to test this (apparently 5 a day isn’t enough) but currently I do not have the time nor patience to record and replay the footage in 1/4 to watch every block break.

I would expect around 48 hours of straight mining (no breaks what-so-ever) with a blast pick to achieve mining level 99.

Last edited:

EmperorBonaparte

MVP
EmperorBonaparte
EmperorBonaparte
MVP
Ratings
Ok because you corrected this on your last post (thanks for that :D) im going to point out some more things (I hope you don't mind they are mainly petty)

48hrs and 50 minutes, almost 2 hours less than the original time calculated.
However your original post said:
So mining level 99 will take approximately 54 hours and 16 minutes.
Giving a time save of over 5 hours.

Also you seem to have over-complicated this a bit, or under-complicated I'm not really sure. Obviously it's very hard to know how much mana you'd get from god mine in speculation... so why not record it! I checked how much mining xp you get from 1 layer of god mine and it is 10668. So this could help calculations a bit, also check out my guide to see some mana/min rates which could also help (skip to end of vid).

Finally its best to keep in mind that this is without going down a layer, which would lose some time and also you can't start in god mine; so all of it is speculation anyway xD

Otherwise great guide! Thanks for making it

Danny__

Ratings
Ok because you corrected this on your last post (thanks for that :D) im going to point out some more things (I hope you don't mind they are mainly petty)

However your original post said:

Giving a time save of over 5 hours.

Also you seem to have over-complicated this a bit, or under-complicated I'm not really sure. Obviously it's very hard to know how much mana you'd get from god mine in speculation... so why not record it! I checked how much mining xp you get from 1 layer of god mine and it is 10668. So this could help calculations a bit, also check out my guide to see some mana/min rates which could also help (skip to end of vid).

Finally its best to keep in mind that this is without going down a layer, which would lose some time and also you can't start in god mine; so all of it is speculation anyway xD

Otherwise great guide! Thanks for making it
i completely agree. My Maths doesn't seem to do me well at 2am but thank you for the feedback.