Buffy

Forum Master
QA Team
BuffySwag
BuffySwag
QA Team
Ratings
331 5
parkour is definitely P2W because the only things you can't pay for are score and hours if im not mistaken. and hours are useless and score is only relevant until you get to 50k.

Buffy

Forum Master
QA Team
BuffySwag
BuffySwag
QA Team
Ratings
331 5
pegasus boots, ender pearls, portable checkpoints, speed and jump potions and cooldown reset tokens to an extent.

Babalee

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Babalee
Babalee
ELITE
Ratings
90 4
pegasus boots, ender pearls, portable checkpoints, speed and jump potions and cooldown reset tokens to an extent.
None of those things are usuable in challenge mode, which is the only place where parkour is competitive. Using those to try and complete every map to get the checkmark next to your name is just cosmetic.
If these things WERE useable in challenge mode and WR'S were being obtained because of them, I would totally agree with you, but they aren't so personally I think parkour is not Pay to Win.

Last edited:

Buffy

Forum Master
QA Team
BuffySwag
BuffySwag
QA Team
Ratings
331 5
at the end of the day, it depends on how you define 'win'. is it the world records? or the most prestiges?

Babalee

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Babalee
Babalee
ELITE
Ratings
90 4
at the end of the day, it depends on how you define 'win'. is it the world records? or the most prestiges?
I mean it really does. I think in something like this it comes down to opinion, where in other games its blatantly obvious that buying things will give you a clear advantage over everyone else.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
I was reading through the EULA to find the quote about pay-to-win servers, but I couldn't find it. When was it updated? Also, does this mean that Mojang won't be going after pay-to-win stuff anymore?
Let me get you a video or direct quote.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
"provided they do not give a competitive gameplay advantage"
This is in reference to currency's and items being sold on servers. I cannot tell you exactly how and in which ways Manacube is compliant beyond guesses but Dacon has stated that we are fully EULA compliant at the moment.

here is a good reddit thread with a break down of the changes

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Isn't speed still a thing in races? That is competitive and you can easily win if you paid for speed 5
Genuinely unsure but might depend on what game modes are considered competitive as Factions is pretty much non p2w. Parkour may not be considered "competitive"

Presidenten

Forum Master
ELITE
Hampifant
Hampifant
ELITE
Ratings
521 13
Genuinely unsure but might depend on what game modes are considered competitive as Factions is pretty much non p2w. Parkour may not be considered "competitive"
Competitive is when you compete against someone else to win a price. So in factions it would be payouts, while in parkour it's mostly races. And if you have an advantage of winning after paying it's breaking the eula, which is for example speed in races.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Competitive is when you compete against someone else to win a price. So in factions it would be payouts, while in parkour it's mostly races. And if you have an advantage of winning after paying it's breaking the eula, which is for example speed in races.
That is how you define it. I am suggesting Mojang may not define it that way.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
That is how you define it. I am suggesting Mojang may not define it that way.
I think Pres is simply using the definition of the word competition, which isn't very subjective. I was under the impression that Dacon made Factions non-P2W because of the payout-heavy nature of the mode, combined with it being one of Manacube's most popular servers. Just because Parkour doesn't have payouts doesn't mean it isn't competitive. Anything with leaderboards and stats is competitive and donor ranks give a massive (2x!) advantage over non-paying players.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
Here's the second highest comment on the Reddit thread Rap posted, highlighting a portion of the EULA that OP doesn't specify:
[may not] sell entitlements that affect gameplay provided that they do not adversely or negatively another player’s experience and provided they do not give a competitive gameplay advantage. A competitive gameplay advantage is something that, given identical skill levels, time investment, and circumstances, can cause one player or group to perform better than another.
  • Be aware that certain games or game modes can be designed as non-competitive (such as a player-versus-environment (PvE) game) and become competitive by adding gameplay elements such as a leaderboard.
Given identical skill levels, time investment, and circumstances, a non-paying player would receive 75% of the mana awarded an MVP-ranked player, and 50% of the mana an MVP+ or Elite will receive. Not to mention those players getting to use /speed 5, which often allows for ways to skip tough jumps, the ability to breeze through sequences of jumps without needing to touch the spacebar, etc. etc.

If there were no prestige leaderboard (or maps completed, monthly mana, or any other besides score), there would be no problem.

Seth, it's kind of you to sell your cubits to players who want to buy ranks and grow Dacon's economy. I know it's also nice to see oneself at the top of any leaderboard, not to mention one with such elite names as Cherilyns, spnu, and Ozzyblack21. However, I'm sure you're also aware that your prestiges are much less legitimate than the other players that you have come to pass.

- Yes, I'm aware Cherilyns is privy to 200% mana gain, but so is everyone else on the board almost by default and she has gained her prestiges in the true spirit of Manacube; grinding her ass off.

Babalee

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Babalee
Babalee
ELITE
Ratings
90 4
All of this very true and thanks for uncovering all of that Tas. I still believe that the challenge mode aspect of competitive parkour is not p2w however, that being the races and the world records (unless you can use speed in races, I never thought you could).

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
All of this very true and thanks for uncovering all of that Tas. I still believe that the challenge mode aspect of competitive parkour is not p2w however, that being the races and the world records (unless you can use speed in races, I never thought you could).
You can use speed in races, hence why races are P2W (clearly competitive since mana is being wagered).
World records are valid.