Forum Master
ELITE
TigerTwist2
TigerTwist2
ELITE
Ratings
401 124
What are dans?

Dans are a rank system/concept used in things such as karate (to measure ranks above black belt) and some rhythm games (Bemani, Taiko no Tatsujin). They work so to gain a rank, you must complete a trial of sorts. This trial contains all the things expected to have at that rank, such as ability on specific patterns. It's an old system that has been proven to work well rank wise.

Now, why is this relevant to a parkour server?
Well, to be completely honest, parkour rank doesn't mean shit right now. It is not close to an accurate representation of any skill, which is what I presume it was meant to do with names as Noob, Expert and Champion. Unfortunately, rank is currently only based on your will to grind select maps e.g. Ancient, the hard map listed as insane. This system has made many people demotivated to rank up as there is no real point to. Rank does not show anything except how much you complete select maps.

One way to fix this that has been brought up a million times is exactly what I'm talking about; Rankup trials. Instead of simply being a mana wall, this would require people to show some degree of skill to rank up. Of course, you'd still spend mana but it'd only be to gain access to the trial. This would allow people to not run out of content too fast if they were good enough to get far into the rankups right away, but still make rankups skill-based. In addition to this, there should be a slight lowering of rankup prices later on, I don't know if it's just me but 50k for champion is still a bit much. After prestiging, the trials would not have to be completed again. Speed and all other advantages are forced off during trials. This would also have a side effect of being able to bring the champion wall back, as the number of champions would likely get lowered enough to fit on a wall.

One of the main problems about this idea is: Should current ranks be reset for this? And there are a few solutions for this:

-Make dan's separate from the word ranks (e.g. I, II etc.)
-Just reset the ranks lol (unlikely)
-Wait until a new parkour season to add this feature

I'm open to suggestions and criticism on this idea, it's pretty basic for now.

Buffy

Forum Master
QA Team
BuffySwag
BuffySwag
QA Team
Ratings
331 5
sounds like a good idea. an expansion:
-After competing all the trials, there is one final trial to prestige, which is to get a wr, or something difficult like that.
-Also, I don't think that the trials should stop after prestiging once, to make more prestiges more valuable.
-The rankup/prestiging system should be similar to that on islands: you have to be good all round and complete multiple challenges. On islands, you need to grow crops, kill monsters, mine, catch fish and do loads of other things before you claim the cubit reward for prestiging. At the moment, someone could come along to parkour and find a medium map, like sands of time, and grind the hell out of it to get to prestige. this should not, in my opinion, be possible. You should have to beat a certain number of easy maps first, then mediums and so on, then build maps and get wrs etc. Only after completing lots of all-round challenges like that should you be able to prestige and claim a cubit reward.

(sorry if this post sounds like wafffle)

rew

Forum Master
ELITE
TigerTwist2
TigerTwist2
ELITE
Ratings
401 124
sounds like a good idea. an expansion:
-After competing all the trials, there is one final trial to prestige, which is to get a wr, or something difficult like that.
-Also, I don't think that the trials should stop after prestiging once, to make more prestiges more valuable.
-The rankup/prestiging system should be similar to that on islands: you have to be good all round and complete multiple challenges. On islands, you need to grow crops, kill monsters, mine, catch fish and do loads of other things before you claim the cubit reward for prestiging. At the moment, someone could come along to parkour and find a medium map, like sands of time, and grind the hell out of it to get to prestige. this should not, in my opinion, be possible. You should have to beat a certain number of easy maps first, then mediums and so on, then build maps and get wrs etc. Only after completing lots of all-round challenges like that should you be able to prestige and claim a cubit reward.

(sorry if this post sounds like wafffle)
This sounds solid, but the build map part is not really parkour skill per se.

Nathanpls

Forum Expert
PATRON+
Ratings
460 21
After competing all the trials, there is one final trial to prestige, which is to get a wr, or something difficult like that.
Why limit prestige to someting only very few players can achieve?

Buffy

Forum Master
QA Team
BuffySwag
BuffySwag
QA Team
Ratings
331 5
no disrespect seth, but if a person can buy 45 prestiges, then whats the point in them?

Ratings
9 1
While I hate rankups (because I suck at them) I think this is a great idea, as the current system seems to rely on quantity rather than quality, which indeed does not accurately depict skill. I support this : D