Should the "f-word" be unfiltered?

• Total voters

TechyUniverse

MVP
TechyUniverse
TechyUniverse
MVP
Ratings
"One word adding onto the MULTIPLE words they already moderate on a daily basis wouldn't cause much of a change. Each profanity word in chat can and is used in offensive means".

Brother i think you miss the whole point of chat moderation. I can say something offensive without using any profanity and I'll still get muted. It's the content of what you say that matters.

Side note: manacube is hosted in Canada
--

Concerning what you said, all that I said before applies to the context of every situation. Regardless of the scenario, every word can be used offensively somehow. That doesn't mean that every word is necessarily "bad" though. At least that is what I understood from what you were saying. And I only said that Manacube is hosted in the USA because of a quick Google search. From a brief research run, I accumulated this conclusion... In Canada and the USA, PG-13-rated films allow the f-word to be used. Context is applied to how this word is used in both countries' rating systems, and I drastically base what I have said on context.
Thank for the reply, though!

TechyUniverse

MVP
TechyUniverse
TechyUniverse
MVP
Ratings
It was nice reading your perspective on this. In my opinion whatever the context, I don't think the "f-word" should be unfiltered and then moderated. As mentioned above by ibes1508, the ManaCube player-base has a pretty diverse age range. That being said, I don't think it would be healthy to see the younger proportion of players on ManaCube be given the affirmation that it is ok for them to incorporate the "f-word" in their vocabulary, just because adults are using it in chat in a mature manner. The chat needs to be moderated/filtered to a balanced degree so that all ages can safely play on mana; the "f-word" being unfiltered would break that balance. Although I doubt the filter will ever be perfect, I do strongly agree with iAmBungee that the filter needs to be looked at and tweaked as it does seem to be odd at times.
--
There are other profanities allowed in chat. The f-word is in the same category of curse words that "*shit" and "*ass" fall under. There isn't any harm done to the "balance" of chat when it comes to the usage of words by younger people.

TechyUniverse

MVP
TechyUniverse
TechyUniverse
MVP
Ratings
i mean, that wouldnt make sense to add that, the filter is there so people dont get aggresive or so it can appeal to all ages so you dont have a 10 year old seeing swear words. I've seen several younge players on the server and they aren't as good at figuring out commands and picking up on common sense which is pretty expected, i doubt they'd be asking how to turn off cuss words, i doubt their parents would try to figure it out too.
--
I disagree that kids that are capable enough of looking up on Google "Manacube IP", and then setting it up as a server on their Minecraft home screen are incapable of using commands in chat.

sophiaaah <3

Forum Master
ELITE
sophiaaah
sophiaaah
ELITE
Ratings
727 81
--
I disagree that kids that are capable enough of looking up on Google "Manacube IP", and then setting it up as a server on their Minecraft home screen are incapable of using commands in chat.
if you believe that then you havent been on manacube like at all. there are constantly kids asking about commands and i can for sure say that as a kid, if there was the option to hide cuss words, i wouldnt have done it at all and doubt any other kid would want to hide it. theres no point. you can use almost any other word other than the f word, just let it go. its a block game

sophiaaah <3

Forum Master
ELITE
sophiaaah
sophiaaah
ELITE
Ratings
727 81
in my honest option, you're making too much of a fuss over something that doesn't matter. if you're unhappy then switch servers. if it was that big of a deal they'd unfilter it, but its filtered so just let it go and move on

TechyUniverse

MVP
TechyUniverse
TechyUniverse
MVP
Ratings
if you believe that then you havent been on manacube like at all. there are constantly kids asking about commands and i can for sure say that as a kid, if there was the option to hide cuss words, i wouldnt have done it at all and doubt any other kid would want to hide it. theres no point. you can use almost any other word other than the f word, just let it go. its a block game
--
Two things I'd like to say about that. One, Manacube shouldn't be the only server that most of those kids play on. And in other servers, filter bypasses are very common and most aren't dealt with very frequently or at least as frequently as Manacube. Those kids see swear words literally all the time, especially in the generation that they are growing up in. Two, saying "just let it go. its a block game" is highly hypocritical of you considering you wouldn't let something I did go even after I asked you to stop politely and apologized multiple times. I'm not here to argue about that though, just saying what's on my mind. Have a good night :)

sophiaaah <3

Forum Master
ELITE
sophiaaah
sophiaaah
ELITE
Ratings
727 81
--
Two things I'd like to say about that. One, Manacube shouldn't be the only server that most of those kids play on. And in other servers, filter bypasses are very common and most aren't dealt with very frequently or at least as frequently as Manacube. Those kids see swear words literally all the time, especially in the generation that they are growing up in. Two, saying "just let it go. its a block game" is highly hypocritical of you considering you wouldn't let something I did go even after I asked you to stop politely and apologized multiple times. I'm not here to argue about that though, just saying what's on my mind. Have a good night :)
your personality switch is very interesting :) if you didnt get muted for bypassing you wouldnt be here saying anything, you're simply just mad because you got caught. you never apologized for ANYTHING, quite frankly you didnt realize anything you did so i dont think you're in the spot to be saying stuff like that. honestly just move on

D

Deleted member 147690

The f-word is in the same category of curse words that "*shit" and "*ass" fall under.
Like I said before, the filter should be looked at and tweaked where needed. Theres no excuse to un-filter the "f-word" when theres kids on ManaCube.

There isn't any harm done to the "balance" of chat when it comes to the usage of words by younger people.
I think we can both agree on the fact that children should not be using or seeing derogatory words on a game such as Minecraft.

TechyUniverse

MVP
TechyUniverse
TechyUniverse
MVP
Ratings
your personality switch is very interesting :) if you didnt get muted for bypassing you wouldnt be here saying anything, you're simply just mad because you got caught. you never apologized for ANYTHING, quite frankly you didnt realize anything you did so i dont think you're in the spot to be saying stuff like that. honestly just move on
I really wouldn't be here if I didn't get muted for bypassing saying "F--- cancer" in response to someone's death. And I have listed multiple other reasons for why this word should be unfiltered in my original message.
Also, I am not mad about anything. I came here to have a civil conversation with anyone on this server about this topic and to form new ideas/perspectives on the matter.
The reason why I get mildly upset when conversing with you is that you constantly bring up the same things, never generally believe my words, and consistently speak to me in an argumentative and aggressive fashion. Do mind that other people in chat have told you I apologized for that situation by the way..
Again, I am not here to argue. I really just want to converse with other members. This thread is specifically for debating the topic. I did not come here being aggressive or to hold the same opinion I started with. Other people have been civil, I ask you to be the same way. Thank you! <3

TechyUniverse

MVP
TechyUniverse
TechyUniverse
MVP
Ratings
Like I said before, the filter should be looked at and tweaked where needed. Theres no excuse to un-filter the "f-word" when theres kids on ManaCube.

I think we can both agree on the fact that children should not be using or seeing derogatory words on a game such as Minecraft.
Honestly, I will agree with you but not to the fullest extent. What you're arguing is very subjective in my eyes as based on what I have heard growing up over the years most children are surrounded by swear words everywhere they go. I see profanities most commonly being used by the people those children are around. Like family members, friends who are allowed to swear, strangers around them in public... Though I won't disagree that there is a proportion of children on Minecraft that would prefer not to see swear words entirely. In my eyes, I see the larger majority of youth simply being used to seeing swear words overall.
If this does bring a big concern to the staff team, they could also have a workaround where using the f-word too much would result in a verbal warning, then an actual warning. Just like how they would treat a filter bypass. They could do this to prevent the word from being used rapidly and aimlessly.