Dedicated Member
MVP+
Calari
Calari
MVP+
Ratings
150 7
Hello.
Lately, I have been commenting on staff applications quite a lot.
It is sad to see, how short roughly half of them are
(way below the word requirement, stated in the rules for applications).
Other requirements are generally lacking, too (e.g. forum post count, detail, structure, ... )
I also suspect, some might start to read the rules, as intended, but quickly give up,
due to the (newer version of the) rules, not being particularly nice to read/easy to navigate.

I therefore suggest:
Make it more obvious, that ...
... the rules exist at all.
... the rules really help you to write a better application, especially on the first try.

Possible ideas to make applicants more enclined to read:

- Rewrite (same content) the current application rules. [I would actually volunteer.]
(Unless they are meant to be a challenge to the reader, to test for persistence
of future staff members, then they are great.^^)
- Rename the rules to something like "READ ME!!! Rules to apply!"
- Write the question "Did you read the rules?" above the "Apply now" button
- or make a box you have to check (asking: "Did you read the rules?"), before being able to push the "Apply now" button
- don't add a box or warning line at the end of the form to apply,
A lot of the applications seem to be written from the heart,
so the pre-reading of all the questions, does not seem to be common practice.

Let me know what you think of this proposition,
have a wonderful time,
Calari

FadingGeneral

MVP+
FadingGeneral
FadingGeneral
MVP+
Ratings
I think both forum posts explaining the staff application process are nice to read and easy to navigate. They are divided into sections, some important things to note are bolded, and there are links to other useful pages. The only thing I'd say could be improved upon is removing the spoilers boxes, as that seems unnecessary to me.

The 2 forum posts that applicants should read are fine as they are, when it comes how to find them. They are pinned to the top of the sub-forum, have an "Important" tag on them, and are coloured differently from any other posts. If people who want to apply for staff can't find those then how can we be sure they will do their job well on the forums if they become staff?

k_rissy

Forum God
PATRON+
k_rissy
k_rissy
Patron+
Ratings
1,319 25
You can make suggestions here: https://suggestions.manacube.com/

I agree that way too many people apply without reading the rules and understanding the requirements, but honestly that just proves that they aren't truly ready for the position. Someone that truly wishes to become staff would have read the rules/requirements and therefore made a proper application.

Your suggestion is thoughtful, and it would help the helper management team because they would have less immature applications to read, but in the end, it is the applicant's decision on whether they seriously want to become staff or not. It is their responsibility alone to be aware of the requirements. <3

Calari

Dedicated Member
MVP+
Calari
Calari
MVP+
Ratings
150 7
I fully agree with most of what has been said.
It was simply an idea, to improve upon the given situation.
If any of my suggestions come of as "too much",
that's just my humor.
(And I am fully aware about the suggestion page, but since I wanted some opinions on the matter, I chose to post it here.)
May future applicants write great applications. (no sarcasm)

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,320 82
Personally, I like the way staff applications are run at the moment.

If someone is considering applying for staff, but they aren’t fully willing to check all the requirements, ensure they meet them or better yet, surpass them, then that gives a clear indication how willing they are to be apart of the team. Staff members aren’t supposed to link players to the application area because to show you’re ready for staff, you should be able to find it yourself, read the requirements, and take the time to read through them all.

While I do like your ideas and see where you’re coming from, I think forcing people to look at the requirements doesn’t mean they’ll read them and take them in, even if it did, we’d just be holding their hand through the process and that just kinda takes away from the applicants who do take the time to do this and show both patience and maturity.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
If a pinned post with REQUIRED READING in the title doesn't attract enough attention, then nothing will and the people who don't notice that are not fit for staff.
It's the same idea as staff members not telling players where to apply. You need to know your way around the forums, so I don't think the requirements should be any more "apparent" than they are.

Tywone

Dedicated Member
Donator+
Tywone
Tywone
MVP
Ratings
346 11
I personally do not agree with your suggestion. You're suggesting that the application process is made easier; wouldn't that in turn decrease the grit or passion of future staff members because they had an easy time writing their application?

When you apply for anything, whether it's a job or a staff position, it's not supposed to be easy. You're supposed to go out of your way and exceed the job's expectations and make yourself stand out compared to other applicants. If a person genuinely wants a job or a position, then they're going to work for it. There will always be people who have better or worse applications than others, nothing is ever going to change that. Some are more passionate and hardworking than others.

I therefore suggest:
Make it more obvious, that ...
... the rules exist at all.
... the rules really help you to write a better application, especially on the first try.
It's very obvious that there are rules; the network would be in anarchy if there wasn't any. In the Application Requirements, it literally says that, "You must have an excellent understanding of the rules and punishment guidelines found here".

Additionally, you mention multiple times how people aren't "enclined" to read all of the requirements; why would anyone want to hire someone who doesn't have the passion or motivation to write a decent application?

All in all, staffing simply just isn't for everyone. If you can't write a good application, that's isn't at fault of the server or the staff, that's on you.

Calari

Dedicated Member
MVP+
Calari
Calari
MVP+
Ratings
150 7
Well... seems I have to give my suggestion yet another official damper: ^^
To heighten the awareness of applicants for the rules,
who at that point should already be aware of them, as a criteria for applying,
is illogical for sure. xD
And since I had already changed my mind,
I'd happily close this conversation. ^^
Thank you all very much for your thoughtful replies. <3

LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
Hey Calari!

Thank you so much for using your time to explain how you feel about the application process. Everyone does read and comprehend differently so I completely understand where you are coming from. I also agree that a lot of our fellow community members have given great insight to how they feel about the current process. I know you stated that you'd happily close this conversation but I just wanted to add that this is what the forums are for, as well as the suggestion page ( https://suggestions.manacube.com/ ). Please keep remaining active on the forums as I'd for one will defiantly be looking forwards to your future posts. Thank yo for your time and opinions, they are greatly appreciated!!