Suggestion: slightly change forums reactions

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
I have two suggestions for how they could be changed.

a) Don't display "dislike" and "disagree" reactions in the avatar beside every forums post. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a post, but it shouldn't be on your record forever, especially since every now and then people will react to every post with "dislike" because they don't like the poster (for example).

b) Remove the "dislike" reaction (keep "disagree") and replace it with "neutral" or "confused." Often there will be something that I'm not sure I understand properly, and I'll want to react to it in some way, but a negative reaction seems harsh. A "confused" reaction would be a great addition.

I don't know if the forums host supports this, but if it does this would be great to see!

https://suggestions.manacube.com/suggestions/93062/slightly-alter-forums-reactions

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
I agree with this and it makes total sense, but in turn I think they would have to do the same for the Like/Agree buttons as well since they correlate. But all in all there should definitely be a neutral / in between reaction :D
I'm not sure I understand your point. The like/agree buttons are perfect. The problem is encouraging negativity by having dislike and disagree remain on your account, publicly, forever.

kxe

Forum Legend
ELITE
kxrose
kxrose
ELITE
Ratings
877 6
This is a great idea :D

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
All my negatives come from @anxikuma telling me B99 is better then the office. In saying that I think a "confused" react would be appropriated, however I never get bothered if people negatively react my posts its all about the importance you place on them. I've been negatively reacted by a bunch of trolls but the differential displays this to anyone who actually feels strongly how it really is. Interesting small QoL change It'd be cool to see.

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
I would love to see this. I was thinking about this the other day as I got double disliked for...a questionable reason, and it shows on my reaction count. Not displaying them would certainly be nice unless you go to the person's profile, considering the trolls :)
I definitely agree that more neutral reactions should be added too. There's many times I've wanted to react in a way that was "confused" or "unclear" as you said Tas :D
Personally I want a POGGERS or EXCITED reaction but that's just me being selfish LOL I feel like there's not really an emote that captures excitement or hype for events, updates, etc. on the forums :)

✘ Zoqzey ✘

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Zoqzey
Zoqzey
ELITE
Ratings
132 14
All my negatives come from @anxikuma telling me B99 is better then the office. In saying that I think a "confused" react would be appropriated, however I never get bothered if people negatively react my posts its all about the importance you place on them. I've been negatively reacted by a bunch of trolls but the differential displays this to anyone who actually feels strongly how it really is. Interesting small QoL change It'd be cool to see.

anxi wrong, but b99 is second best tho

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
I would love to see this. I was thinking about this the other day as I got double disliked for...a questionable reason, and it shows on my reaction count. Not displaying them would certainly be nice unless you go to the person's profile, considering the trolls :)
I definitely agree that more neutral reactions should be added too. There's many times I've wanted to react in a way that was "confused" or "unclear" as you said Tas :D
Personally I want a POGGERS or EXCITED reaction but that's just me being selfish LOL I feel like there's not really an emote that captures excitement or hype for events, updates, etc. on the forums :)
I mean you have 3 negative reacts ahahahaha <3. I know Ashely got like 50 from just one troll.

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
I mean you have 3 negative reacts ahahahaha <3. I know Ashely got like 50 from just one troll.
I used to have quite a few more until a certain fellow with a chef linguini profile picture went poof...

anxi

Forum Legend
ELITE
sunflowerv6
sunflowerv6
ELITE
Ratings
994 38
anxi wrong, but b99 is second best tho
The amount of disrespect.
But seriously this is a great idea! Just about the disagree/dislike thing though, I don't see anything wrong with displaying dislikes/disagrees on someones profile - To me, having that revoked is saying you don't want people to be able to see that other people have disagreed with you, even if it was for an unfair reason. If positive reactions are going to be shown, negatives should be too.
Just my opinion on it though.

Last edited:

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
The amount of disrespect.
I don't see anything wrong with displaying dislikes/disagrees on someones profile - To me, having that revoked is saying you don't want people to be able to see that other people have disagreed with you, even if it was for an unfair reason. If positive reactions are going to be shown, negatives should be too.
Just my opinion on it though.
Well, here's where I disagree xD
I don't think it's necessary to show negative reactions. It enforces negativity and encourages biased spam, knowing that it is publicly visible and permanent. The crucial difference between positive and negative reactions is that, well, some are positive and some are negative.

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
This kinda reminds me of how Reddit has been trying to redefine what it means to downvote a post.
In general, downvoted posts should be posts that are mundane. By this they mean posts that don't contribute anything new to the conversation or thread, or are generally irrelevant to what is being talked about. Reddit has been trying to get people to respect others opinions, as many as there may be, across the platform.
I think the connotation of a disagree is different than the connotation of a dislike. The disagree is very much about the post and not the person. It pertains only to the conversation..so I don't think these should be displayed on someone's profile. Disagreeing is very important to context. Showing disagrees on a profile makes it more about the person themselves than the discussion, which brings me to my next point:
Disliking to me has more of a connotation that is more personal. You dislike the person's opinion, or maybe the person themselves. I think these are more negative than disagree, because it goes beyond whatever conversation is being had. I think the ManaCube forums could go without dislike reactions overall. I think dislikes are used just to spite others more than they are used interchangeably with disagrees.
It's the same argument Facebook uses for not having a Dislike button. It spreads negativity and allows people to attack each other, which is NOT what I would want for the forums.
The forums already isn't used by a majority of the player base, it's mostly the donators that actively participate here; most just come on when they need to make a ticket and leave until the next one. I think removing aspects of the forums that are negative could help people from getting discouraged about using the forums more.

tl;dr: I agree with Tas that we shouldn't show negative reactions, because they are either contextual or used to attack/upset others. Negative reactions could possibly discourage people who want to get into using the forums more, but are scared their opinion won't sit well with the vocal majority.

LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
I don’t see an issue with having “negative reactions” I mean- I’m 99% sure all of mine are from trolls but I don’t really let it bother me. I think asking for them to be removed kinda defeats the purpose of having reactions at all.