suggestion

Ratings
so I have an idea (i don't know if it has been suggested before). a lot of people spam in caps so I thought what if you get automatically warned when using too much caps in one sentence/when your spamming.

like I said I don't know if someone suggested this before but me and other people get really annoyed by the capslock spammers.

SSM_GOD

Forum Legend
Ratings
1,890 47
I'm pretty sure this has been suggested. It's certainly been a topic for discussion for a while now- that is, the current chat filter being horrendous.
I don't really see too much a problem with caps themselves, they cause no harm and are really just an eyesore for some. But because of all the over-exaggerated issues, I think adding some kind of modifier to the filter which reduces caps would be helpful.
I don't really see why it's so hard for a modifiable filter can be made so on the spot additions could be added; something like /filter add [word]. Hopefully, something like this will be added soon with additional ways to prevent a large sort of chat offenses.

terryZ_

SrMod | Coordinator
Senior Mod
terryZ_
terryZ_
Senior Mod
Ratings
185 11
i feel like the caps rule is rarely enforced since its only warned/reminded if a staff is on; so i'd feel a warning for full caps would be a bit excessive. maybe a filter that turns full caps sentences into a message with no caps could work?

but it generally depends on whether using 1 sentence in caps is okay versus spamming stuff in caps and how the manacube staff perceives on punishments given for offences like these in the end

warlord9120

Forum Expert
ELITE
Warlord9120
Warlord9120
ELITE
Ratings
485 23
Hi!! Thank you for making a suggestion about this!! I'd like to say a thing or two about it :D.

Too much caps is punishable, but de always verbally warn before doing so (certain situations excluded). Usually, players will stop after we just ask them to, so there usually isn't really an issue. The most situations of "excessive caps" I've seen is just when someone gets excited about something. I feel like it would be bad if people who are just excited instantly get warned.

For something that auto warns, I feel like that could bring more issues than not for things like this. "when is too much caps actually too much?", "what's the situation the caps are used in?", "is it really something worth warning or punishing for?",... Are things a staff member thinks about when seeing caps. An auto warn system won't be able to do that (as efficiently as staff) unless it's an AI. I feel like the same thing can be said about a filter. What would be the threshold of having too much caps to change it? I feel like it changing would just annoy people who want to express their excitement once.

In short, I believe caps are usually fine unless it goes way too far, so some staff discretion is needed. I do thank you for trying to think of ways to improve our server!! I'm hoping you can come up with other good suggestions :D