• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes, with some changes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could go either way

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No, it would be too difficult to implement (Owners/Admins only, please)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sparkypi

MVP+
sparkypi
sparkypi
MVP+
Ratings
Similar to Scrambler, I think there should be a reward for saying "Welcome!" to new players. By doing this we would encourage friendliness on the server towards new players. There is a group of us who always try to say welcome to a new player when we can, but when I'm afk while eating or busy building, I notice that only the highest-ranking long-term players seem to do it regularly. That was the case on past servers I've been on as well, only the other mods/admins and I would say welcome to new players most of the time.

Sure there's the automated message saying it, but that's usually eaten up by the "Watch ads!", "Type /help or /is!", or other messages you get when logging into a server, so you hardly see it. Plus that's an automated message everyone gets, which isn't bad, but it's not the greatest. There's a much more personal touch when it's the players welcoming you.

Like Scrambler, there should be a time limit. Unlike Scrambler, though, I wouldn't suggest making time limit expiration public. Instead, if the time expires, I would suggest having Gary give a nice greeting to the new player to signal to the rest of us when the time's up. Gary has personalized messages, as we've seen with "why does this server rock?" prompt, so that could be added in as well. Also unlike Scrambler, this doesn't really need a single winner or point system, anyone who says the word "welcome" before Gary could get a small reward. This way everyone can benefit from this practice.

For easy digestion, here's a list of reasons we should do this (in no particular order):
1. It's fun.
2. It's friendly.
3. It adds yet another way to get in-game rewards.
4. It gives the new player a personal touch with the server.
5. More Gary!

And for the sake of debate, some things that could go wrong (just so we realize this isn't a one-sided issue):
1. Welcome spam.
2. Players complaining when they don't speak fast enough or get rewards.
3. People complaining about Gary spam.
4. We accidentally drive off a more shy player (though the inverse is equally possible).
5. Two people get on simultaneously, we only get rewarded once, and Gary only welcomes the most recent entry.

So what do you guys think... (poll above)

Last edited:

Txilsy

Forum Expert
VIP
Ratings
273 2
I don't really know if it's a good idea or not. Scramblers etc. already cause a lot of spam, which can sometimes be annoying (for example, in the middle of a conversation).

There are already enough ways to get rewards in my opinion, but guess that it's personal. c:

JustJaymee

Donator
Ratings
49 1
I agree with PolarisStar. If someone is just saying 'Welcome' to get a reward then it's not really them trying to be friendly, they are trying to get something out of it. Yeah there are the people who welcome the new players regularly, but that would soon be outweighed by the people only caring about the reward.
Not only this, but it would cause quite a bit of spam as a lot of people would take advantage of this to get a reward. I see where you are coming from, with trying to get the new ones welcomed, this is just my opinion. :)

sparkypi

MVP+
sparkypi
sparkypi
MVP+
Ratings
It doesn't matter in my opinion whether it's sincere or not, so long as it happens. New players need to be welcomed. If I go to a server and there is no welcome, I usually leave after an hour or two. I usually have to ask for the welcome, too, by asking about the rules of the server. Even that takes about 4-5 questions before someone notices and talks to me. But when people say "Welcome!" right off the bat, you know it's a good server. This is just a simple way to incentivize friendliness. We don't even have to advertise it as a change, either, so those who do it regularly get rewarded for their good effort and those who don't do it sincerely don't get the incentive.

Anyways, whatever the case, I'm just saying; the worst thing a server can do to a new or old player is give them the cold shoulder. In fact, the only reason I stuck around on this server long enough to see how nice it is, is because it was one of the few reliable, functional Skyblock servers out there that I could find that didn't reset or crash during the test period. Otherwise my start to this server was nothing but cold shoulder, just like any other server, until I already had half a decent island. I also didn't make any of my main friends that I keep in touch with now until after I got VIP+, because people seem to gloss over members in chat when not in direct conversation with one. I don't want that for those newer than me, it sucks. And now many of my /friends are members, because now I have something they don't, so they come to me for help, then when I help they /friend me so they know who to contact when they can't use W.E. (Creative) or flying (Skyblock). I want to be friends with members because they felt welcomed to the server, not because I spent money.

Edit note: I'm sorry, but when I wrote this I was in an irritated mood, and it seems to come out in the language I used. The intent of this proposal is for anyone but myself, and I apologize if the message came across as selfish. But please, for the sake of the server, even if we don't implement this incentive plan, keep this in mind:

Welcome is the entry point into a server, and if that point is closed, people will leave.

Last edited:

Shron

Forum Master
Donator
Ratings
326 10
Hey sparkypi,
But people should stay, because of a good community and good content, which is more worth to stay. A server can have a rly good community without saying "welcome" always, but it should only be a thing of good behaving and not rewardable. And you also stayed, because of the content. Also if you or any player need help, staff are doing their best to always help you! Use /helpop when we are online and you got a question or problem, so we can help you. We cannot help, if you are not talking. We are only humans ;)
You can also pm me here or on discord for anything. Have a nice day and much fun on Manacube!

Shron

sparkypi

MVP+
sparkypi
sparkypi
MVP+
Ratings
As I said, though, Shron, I did not initially stay because of the content, I stayed because of the reliability of the server (because it didn't crash or reset while I was testing). If I weren't outgoing myself, I would still be silently developing my island with no in-server friends or help from moderators, because there was absolutely no welcome. Also, I did not express that I need help, but thank you for re-reminding me what /helpop does.

Anyways, yes, people should stay because of a good community and good content, but as I said before, welcome is the entry point to a server, and if that point is closed, people will leave. A community that does not welcome new players is not a good community to that new player. It is a good community only if you've been on the server a long time, which people will not do if they are not welcomed. They will leave immediately, as I almost did, again, if not for the reliability of the server.

Also, forget the rewards, just look at the polls. People are very much against rewarding good behavior
this reward system, so that's not even part of the discussion anymore by popular vote:

(as of 1/25/2017 at 12:00 PM)
5 votes Could go either way
3 votes No
1 vote No, it would be too difficult to implement

Absolutely nobody voted yes.

Last edited:

Ellieza

PATRON
Ellieza
Ellieza
Patron
Ratings
82 3
I really like this idea! This could definitely help make the server seem a little bit friendlier. Maybe it's just me but I've noticed in the last little bit of Will and Graser being co-owners of the server, ManaCube players have been slightly more toxic (namely towards the players they bring in). This could hopefully help with that, and maybe just in general. When I first came to the server, I wasn't welcomed to the greatest conversation but I know that if I had been welcomed I would probably be more apt to play on the server more and have more fun doing it.