Forum Expert
ELITE
caseyclosed
caseyclosed
ELITE
Ratings
518 24
Block Variation
If you're here right now, chances are your map was reviewed by players or judges who said you lack block variation. Now here's the thing, block variation isn't the correct term to describe your issue. When people say block variation, they actually mean jump variation and they want you to construct unique jumps that utilize the mechanics of different block hitboxes in this game. This might sound complex at first but it's actually not that difficult to understand.

Jump Variation
Jump Variation is actually important. This aspect of parkour design allows for your course to have flow, feel exciting, and have replayability. If you played a map with twelve single neos in a row, you would get tired of it because it's repetitive. If you're a newer map creator, you should stick to using only blocks you understand. The basic blocks like any full block, slabs, glass panes, fences, cobblestone walls, ladders, stairs, and basic water jumps. Stay away from squeezes because they only jeopardize the flow of your map.

Example of bad variation:
badvariation.png

Boring repetitive jumps. String of neos and a squeeze which isn't very fun.

My interpretation of good variation:
good variation.png

Good variation with proper usage of slabs, walls, heads, and water. Nothing looks out of place, no pointless jumps in this section as every jump changing block has a purpose. Neos can still be used but should be used sparingly.

Here are visual examples of what blocks you should use, and some blocks that should never be used.

good strip of usable blocks 2.png

From left to right:
Slime - can add height and fun bounce sections. Good for transitional jumps.
Daylight sensors - lower than slabs and can be used in vertical squeezes. Cool feature with this block is that you can place it on a fence or wall and you will feel a height difference unlike a slab
Cactus - lower than a block and can be used to blend in green sections. You can jump from a head to a cactus unlike a normal block.
Water - fun for transitional sections, adds "flow" to a map. Don't overuse it though.
Ladder - a staple in the parkour world, this is very versatile and I'm sure you already know how to use it.
Slabs - half blocks, they can be used to set up jumps to tiers higher than a traditional block, to nerf jumps. also very versatile and you most likely understand them.
Cobblestone Wall - thicker than a fence and in a gray color scheme. utilize those two aspects.
Piston Base - thinner than a block which can help you create interesting jumps utilizing the gap it creates on blocks. It's an enchanting table but not ugly.
Anvil - Unique block in the sense that depending on how you place it, it will change a jump. If you place it facing vertical, it's shorter than a block on both sides but if you place it horizontal, it's shorter on the front and back.
Doors - You can use door glitches or use this to nerf jumps. Door glitch is when you open and close the door and land on the bottom half.
Trapdoors - Can add height like carpets to blocks. Similar to the daylight sensor, you can use the fence trick and these can be a moving block, forcing players to open and close them.
Fence / Fence Gate - Fence same as cobblestone wall but thinner. Fence gate can require a player to open it and is the same as a fence but interactive.
Chest - Shorter than a normal block and can be used in the same sense as a cactus.
Head - Great block with infinite customization due to the head database plugin. Can combine this with cobble walls and fences to add height (my personal favorite)
Piston Head - Brown color scheme and can combine it with other blocks to create weird squeeze. It's a very thin and has multiple heights like a brewing stand but isn't useless.
Ice - adds momentum to jumps if utilized properly.
Soul sand - slows jumps down and require player to get better momentum
Flower pot - Can be used in the same way as a daylight sensor and has decorative abilities with you being able to put any flower into it.
Cocoa Bean - Thinner than a head so can be used in various ways, also has multiple growth stages with varying sizes.

BAD BLOCKS.png

Never use these blocks unless you are Kubikit and can find ways to use a cauldron.
Cauldron - Has an inside that allows you to stand inside of, with a different height. Hard for most players to use.
Bed - 1 tier above a slab but practically useless unless you are making blip ups or have a red build that requires red blocks.
Enchanting table - Ugly and is the same as a piston base but worse looking.
Brewing stand - No actual use for this block has been found outside of Brewing Stand BWMM which will never make its way onto Manacube because of its sheer difficulty.

Hope this helped for players struggling with jump variation.

Also, thanks to Acid for providing a good example of bad variation after reading this post!
the worst variation i've seen yet.png

pointless snow layer, pointless cauldron, it's ugly and terrible. bonus points for throwing a brewing stand in there!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
Love this Casey. I feel like since I’ve started making maps I’ve had to learn this the hard way but never knew how to articulate it. Well integrated parkour kind of ties into this. This doesn’t just mean parkour stuck to the wall and no floating parkour but the blocks themselves actually blend into the build which is kind of misunderstood in the map requirements and can sometimes be overlooked when maps are being reviewed.

4thForce

Forum Expert
ELITE
4thForce
4thForce
ELITE
Ratings
334 6
This post is really good explaining block variation and what it means to vary parkour when building maps. And like jacob also mentioned it's important to not only vary parkour with different blocks but to also make it blend and be integrated into the build itself. I've noticed a lot of newer maps to fit the "include varied parkour" requirement, they grab a bunch of differently shaped blocks and throw them around the map. This does technically vary your parkour however visually it's not very appealing, so it's important that varied blocks that you add also fit well into the build.

Jash

Forum Expert
PATRON+
Jashhy
Jashhy
Patron+
Ratings
367 5
A very useful post!! I didn't even realize that I was using the wrong term to describe parkour, thanks for this! I shall also get to grips with using a wider jump palette in my map.

LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
WHOAA Casey,

This post isn't only beneficial to parkour staff/players in all honest. As a creative moderator I often give grades and have started leaving detailed feedback on each grade I give. This post have me more ideas on how I can talk about others block pallets and the reasoning behind commenting on them.

best, kayla

Anacoustic

Forum Expert
ELITE
Anacoustic
Anacoustic
ELITE
Ratings
163 2
Dang, this post really helped me see a different perspective on jump variation. Whenever I'm asked for feedback on parkour maps by friends I never really know how to comment on jumps but this is super duper helpful and easy to understand for everyone ! Thanks Casey ;D

khirina

Dedicated Member
VIP
khirina
khirina
VIP
Ratings
130 6
please @ parkour staff just give us floating parkour please and also loosen the block variation rule please literally every respectable parkour server doesnt have these requirements and it would make the parkour here infinitely better please please please

Elly_x

Forum God
ELITE
Elly_x
Elly_x
ELITE
Ratings
557 20
When my favorite jumps to use are in the don’t use section.... you can’t exclude a half bed and a brewing stand line that Casey come on!!

Acrellux

Forum God
ELITE
Acrellux
Acrellux
ELITE
Ratings
1,364 146
Very nice :)

Brewing stands though, what's wrong with them I mean you can jump to the base and then onto the higher part to get onto a slab for example

<Inktest>

Forum Expert
ELITE
Inktest
Inktest
ELITE
Ratings
228 6
Very nice :)

Brewing stands though, what's wrong with them I mean you can jump to the base and then onto the higher part to get onto a slab for example
You can also achieve this with, for example, piston heads

Acrellux

Forum God
ELITE
Acrellux
Acrellux
ELITE
Ratings
1,364 146
And now I come back and see my map has been added :')

SpiroTech

Dedicated Member
PATRON+
SpiroTech
SpiroTech
Patron+
Ratings
So, I will never fully agree with you on brewing stands Casey. I believe there IS a use for them, although it is limited. Brewing stands have a fairly unique property in that, while standing on a brewing stand, you are affected by the ice below you. You can effectively use this to create a jump that is like jumping off of a glass pane with ice physics. I made use of this on my map AntFarm. If you can come up with a different set of blocks that have the same effect, I will admit I am wrong. I doubt that it is possible however.