Where were you before Covid?

Josh - MobDrops

ELITE
MobDrops
MobDrops
ELITE
Ratings
Happy good Sunday Manacubians!

I have something for all of you, to think or even reply about if you want...

This covid pandemic has led to drastic and somewhat dramatic change across the world. What first started as a potential risk to livelihood as we know it, ended up being an even worse-than-measured event which has affected everyone differently. From way of work/school to way of producing, serving, and consuming food. Not to mention the economy and of course our social changes.

It has been well more than a year now and lockdowns seem more long term than short term and many of us have accepted that things wont be the same as we knew it for a while.

With all that said, my question/s to everyone considering all the unforeseen livelihood changes is:
Where did you see yourself before covid/lockdowns/social distancing etc. ? What were you busy doing, and what were you working towards? Has that changed since then after almost a year and a half? What do you find yourself working towards now if different? What have you learned about yourself or about the world in this time?

This is my answer to the above :p
Okay so just before covid... I was heading to my second year of college at the end of 2019. Getting my bachelor's in motion picture by 2022. I was head-hot on making movies. I have been involved with the industry since a young age and quite literally at the time (around Dec 2019) could not see myself going into any other direction. Boy was I wrong
When covid and first lockdowns hit I decided to go back home to be with family and of course not get stuck where I was in the middle of a city I barely knew. So I went home and there in that tiny town I spent my year of 2020. At first, I was extremely bored so I decided to go back into gaming and see if I could get myself a job anywhere. This is when I decided to apply my knowledge and studies of sound engineering into a practical sense and started producing foley SFX independently for various indie game studios. And around two months into doing this, (now march 2020) I was offered to work for one of these game studios I did sound development for as a part time company-wide staff member... Bla Bla Bla, after keeping myself busy for a while I suddenly find myself to be involved with the family business and no longer study film but rather various business degrees.
Guess you never know where you will find yourself 5, 3 ... or even 1 year later. I used to hate business whilst in school and never imagined to like it one day.

Something I have learned is that doors open and close all around you. It's up to you to choose where and when to step through.

I did not want to write this to look at the negatives of covid. But rather the positives. No need to go as detailed or undetailed as I did. But if you want to share please do! I would be thrilled to listen to everyone's stories & adventures. <3

gapplegal

SrMod | Wiki Manager
Senior Mod
gapplegal
gapplegal
Senior Mod
Ratings
298 11
Aight so uh my POV of covid-19 [Nz edition] LOL SORRY

Tbh I'm already an introvert and I'm anti-social so going out isn't a huge issue for me. I prefer to stay at home rather than go to group events. I was the quiet kid in my school that had few friends but I was happy that they were there. When going to irl school, I'd look forward to interval/lunch where I'd play cards with my friends or I'd look forward to my 'study period' which isn't really a stupid period. It's just me and a friend goofing around while talking or me on my phone and not talking to them at all.

I was working towards my NCEA level 3 when covid struck.
NCEA level 3 basically means that when you're assessed on things like final exams, you have the potential to get credits. Each exam paper has a specific amount of credits that you can gain IF you pass the paper. If you gain over a specific amount of credits (e.g 60 credits), you're eligible to apply for a university.
During covid, I was in my final year of high school. The school that I go to has been very kind to those that are in their last year. My calc teacher (specifically) helped us pass calc without needing to take the final exams and so this helped us worry less when it came to calc. This allowed us to focus on our other (4) subjects.

When the lockdown first started, I was kind of excited because that meant I'd have time to stay home and do nothing something. We were bombarded with assignments and so I realized that the teachers weren't playing around. I believe that I had to do 5-7 assignments within the 3/4-week lockdown which contributed to level 3. Thankfully I did pass level 3 and so I was eligible to apply for university. I was accepted into a university. The university I was accepted into was strategically hours away from my family as I did want to be independent. Luckily, our first-year course at university is essentially free. Throughout this year and a half, nothing has really changed if I'm being honest. I went from a 'high school student that stays in her room playing mc' to a 'university student who stays in her rented room playing mc.'

I've learnt quite a lot from this year and a half. At the moment, we aren't in lockdown so we have the option to return to irl school. I personally will try to minimize social interaction when I can so I'll use online resources rather than going into irl school events. Covid has also helped me realise that I'm extremely lazy and I'll find easier alternatives when I can. I've learned to get better at cramming and doing things at the end OR just after something has been released. After moving to my current location, my mental health issues have grown and they're more prominent/exaggerated, I also have an unhealthy relationship with my bed and mc.

Sorry for writing this much and tbh idek if I fully answered the questions but uh at this point, I'm basically just venting pft sorry LOL
Edit: I didn't read anything that I wrote so I'm sorry if there's errors/anything else present <3

Buffy

Forum Master
QA Team
BuffySwag
BuffySwag
QA Team
Ratings
331 5
when covid started i cared about my grades. now i dont give a shit

Cloudiez.

MVP
Cloudiez
Cloudiez
MVP
Ratings
Where did you see yourself before covid/lockdowns/social distancing etc. ?
Before the pandemic, I had just finished sixth form and started work as a business apprentice. I saw myself having a future with my at-the-time boyfriend, potentially moving on to secretarial work and starting an Open University degree. I had no real idea what I wanted.

What were you busy doing, and what were you working towards?
I was busy with my at-the-time boyfriend, saving to see him and working towards paying off my nintendo switch. I was studying hard for my apprenticeship and trying to work on my anxiety.

Has that changed since then after almost a year and a half?
Since then, I’ve found my life much better. I was in a bad mental place and I think working frontline during the pandemic really shaped who I am as a person. I have met someone who is far better for me, who I see as regularly as we can afford. I have finished my apprenticeship and been hired as a full time medical receptionist. I finished therapy and managed to turn my mental health around. I became a fighter!

What do you find yourself working towards now if different?
At the moment, I am learning to drive. I’m working towards obtaining my full license and then potentially moving to a different career in the NHS, like secretarial work. My number one short term goal is to pass my theory test. I’m also saving to go on holiday, entirely self funded!

What have you learned about yourself or about the world in this time?
I am far more resilient than I think. My worst ever fear used to be isolation and loneliness and now I feel that I have confronted that directly. The world can be incredibly stupid, but when it mattered, we all stood together against a common enemy and have been through a very difficult shared experience.

Jacon

Forum Master
Ratings
467 119
Managing a nice server named 'Manacube' sigh How times have changed.

Josh - MobDrops

ELITE
MobDrops
MobDrops
ELITE
Ratings
The university I was accepted into was strategically hours away from my family as I did want to be independent.
Honestly, this sentence 100%. haha
Sounds like a busy year for you gapplegal, and a fun one :p I wish you nothing but the best and utmost success to come.

when covid started i cared about my grades. now i dont give a shit
I presume you finished during this time. Good feeling to be done for sure :D

Since then, I’ve found my life much better. I was in a bad mental place and I think working frontline during the pandemic really shaped who I am as a person...
I take my hat off to you. Thank you for being there for others! working heads on against a pandemic. :mc_449-0: That truly is amazing and I am glad I got to read your story.
Goodluck with the license too! I am on the same boat. Soon before we know it, it'll be the parents/siblings & friends asking for a driver

gapplegal

SrMod | Wiki Manager
Senior Mod
gapplegal
gapplegal
Senior Mod
Ratings
298 11
Honestly, this sentence 100%. haha
Sounds like a busy year for you gapplegal, and a fun one :p I wish you nothing but the best and utmost success to come.
LMAO yeah strategic moves tbh xD

Haha def has been a busy year for me but it's been dope so far <3
Thank you nice human for the kind words yo

Buffy

Forum Master
QA Team
BuffySwag
BuffySwag
QA Team
Ratings
331 5
i wish i could live hundreds of miles away from my family. sadly i have to make do with ~120. and yes, i have ended the suffering that was school during lockdown

caleb!

Dedicated Member
ELITE
imageyser
imageyser
ELITE
Ratings
251 8
1/2. umm i wanted to become a pharmacist or pharmacologist but im pretty young so honestly wasn't too sure. i wanted to go to a prestigious university bc my family really values academics and i got kinda caught up with that. i was busy with school and playing a certain game, although i forget what it was tbh. maybe club penguin online? it got deleted rip. i was working towards getting good grades and that was pretty much it, although i also wanted to do well in my summer piano recital thing. didn't rlly practice enough though.
3/4. yeah. i still value school and strive to get good grades bc that's sort of just familiar ig? i still play video games, i still play the piano. however, i'm not sure if i want to go to college - if i did, it would probably be for environmental science or creative writing, but tbh i want to become a singer, songwriter, or actor when i grow up. i've always loved singing, but i like it even more now. it was something i could do alone that provided me happiness. i also started songwriting over the past year. i'm not very good but it helps me to express myself.
5. i've definitely formed more of my own opinions regarding issues important to me. i used to just agree with whatever my parents said, but i've really been thinking about what matters to me and what i think is right/smart, concerning issues that affect many people. i've also gotten a lot closer to my sister - we've always had a positive relationship, but i definitely feel like we've bonded over the pandemic. also haven't talked to anyone from school for like a year which kinda sucks but i also didn't rlly make any friends before covid so. i've also learned that i'm super introverted. my whole family has really wanted to go outside, see people, do things, (& we are all introverts) but i've kind of just been vibing.

very swag thread, thanks.

becc_

Dedicated Member
ELITE
becc_
becc_
ELITE
Ratings
135 4
Before Covid hit I spent a lot of time with friends and was spending a lot of time outdoors and never really had a plan I was just a figure it out as it happens type of person. Then when my town got put into lockdown spending time alone made me realise how much I love it aha and how it can be relaxing to stay inside. I also really got into working out etc and started to care more for my health, however my grades declined quite a bit and now I am really working hard to get back to where I was.

pestolicious

Forum Expert
ELITE
pestolicious
pestolicious
ELITE
Ratings
410 14
Before Covid, I had just left highschool and joined TAFE (like, college for trades and short courses in Australia). I was completing my certificate II in animal studies - captive (zoo/exotic animals) and I was working at a zoo in the city. My goal was to complete my certificate II, then my certificate IV, which would take roughly 2 years all up. After that, I would be a qualified zookeeper, and I would travel to Africa to study and volunteer in a lion sanctuary for a few weeks.

I flunked out of my course pretty early on in covid. I found it really difficult to focus on my studies when there were so many distractions at home. I redid the course in the second half of the year, but I flunked out of that, too. I quit my job at the zoo and I gave up my goal of working with animals. This year, I got a job doing administration work for a job counselor. I worked there for 3 months and was only recently let go due to financial issues relating to covid. I'm currently looking for another job. I have no real goal that I am working towards right now. I'm just living from day to day. Life is fun.