PyroTortilla

Forum Master
MVP+
PyroTortilla
PyroTortilla
MVP+
Ratings
387 10
Hello everybody, it's about time I made a new thread.

Today I would like to talk about the recent influx of new players since the shoutout given to the server through Dream's YouTube video on the 5 block jump. With this massive increase in popularity, there has been a rise of two different things; one good and one bad. Because of me being the negative, Debby Downer that I am, I'm going to start with the negative: toxicity. While the "Age of Dream" is slowing down and will most likely be ending soon, toxicity is still a prominent part of the Parkour server. While I'm not saying that there was no toxicity before Dream's video (oh believe me it was bad), you cannot deny that it has gotten worse in the past few weeks. Internet toxicity has been and always will exist on any and all platforms, but there are ways of decreasing toxicity that I would like to shed some light on, such as:
  1. Don't pick fights. If you are having a disagreement with someone, don't make it worse than it needs to be. Remember that the /ignore feature exists for a reason!
  2. If talking about controversial topics (i.e. politics, religion, etc.) recognize that not everyone shares the same opinion as you do, and that does not make them necessarily wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions/beliefs and those beliefs should be respected by all people.
  3. Recognize when someone is baiting you! People try all the time to engage in toxic conversations with people by asking loaded questions and saying stuff that is morally incorrect. The best way to avoid these people is to just not respond to them and give them the attention that they want so badly.
And of course, new players on the server also means good things as well. For one, the amount of map submissions has SKYROCKETED recently, with cool designs and new ideas being incorporated into some pretty nice builds. However, the number of Rejected maps has also been high due to one simple reason: people are not reading the suggestions and rules for submissions before spending time making a map. Here are some tips for newer creators regarding map-making:
  1. Our Map Manager and Senior Mod Shinx has taken the time to create a Google Doc with a list of all the current maps and their themes to avoid getting repetitive submissions. This list can be found right at the top of the Parkour section of the forums labeled as "Parkour List (With theme) or at this link - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lZKQZMgGev6fXyhZ8nCPkTzNIj0yOjXjUTDvfzKNzl4/edit?usp=sharing
  2. Ask questions! Any Parkour staff will be glad to help you on your map (more with specific questions than assisting in the build), and lots of the player base (myself included) would be delighted to visit your plot and help you design your build and create parkour.
  3. Read chat more often! While I am ok with answering the same question multiple times (I don't tend to get irked by things like that), it is still unnecessary. People have the same questions as you and will tend to ask them, so pay attention to see if someone is struggling in the same way you are.

That's it for now from me. If you have any questions at all for me, my IGN is PyroTortilla (I'm currently nicknamed as CLOWN) and you can always shoot me a DM on Discord (PyroTortilla#8340). Thank you for reading my post as always, and good luck everyone!

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
Hello everybody, it's about time I made a new thread.

Today I would like to talk about the recent influx of new players since the shoutout given to the server through Dream's YouTube video on the 5 block jump. With this massive increase in popularity, there has been a rise of two different things; one good and one bad. Because of me being the negative, Debby Downer that I am, I'm going to start with the negative: toxicity. While the "Age of Dream" is slowing down and will most likely be ending soon, toxicity is still a prominent part of the Parkour server. While I'm not saying that there was no toxicity before Dream's video (oh believe me it was bad), you cannot deny that it has gotten worse in the past few weeks. Internet toxicity has been and always will exist on any and all platforms, but there are ways of decreasing toxicity that I would like to shed some light on, such as:
  1. Don't pick fights. If you are having a disagreement with someone, don't make it worse than it needs to be. Remember that the /ignore feature exists for a reason!
  2. If talking about controversial topics (i.e. politics, religion, etc.) recognize that not everyone shares the same opinion as you do, and that does not make them necessarily wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions/beliefs and those beliefs should be respected by all people.
  3. Recognize when someone is baiting you! People try all the time to engage in toxic conversations with people by asking loaded questions and saying stuff that is morally incorrect. The best way to avoid these people is to just not respond to them and give them the attention that they want so badly.
And of course, new players on the server also means good things as well. For one, the amount of map submissions has SKYROCKETED recently, with cool designs and new ideas being incorporated into some pretty nice builds. However, the number of Rejected maps has also been high due to one simple reason: people are not reading the suggestions and rules for submissions before spending time making a map. Here are some tips for newer creators regarding map-making:
  1. Our Map Manager and Senior Mod Shinx has taken the time to create a Google Doc with a list of all the current maps and their themes to avoid getting repetitive submissions. This list can be found right at the top of the Parkour section of the forums labeled as "Parkour List (With theme) or at this link - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lZKQZMgGev6fXyhZ8nCPkTzNIj0yOjXjUTDvfzKNzl4/edit?usp=sharing
  2. Ask questions! Any Parkour staff will be glad to help you on your map (more with specific questions than assisting in the build), and lots of the player base (myself included) would be delighted to visit your plot and help you design your build and create parkour.
  3. Read chat more often! While I am ok with answering the same question multiple times (I don't tend to get irked by things like that), it is still unnecessary. People have the same questions as you and will tend to ask them, so pay attention to see if someone is struggling in the same way you are.

That's it for now from me. If you have any questions at all for me, my IGN is PyroTortilla (I'm currently nicknamed as CLOWN) and you can always shoot me a DM on Discord (PyroTortilla#8340). Thank you for reading my post as always, and good luck everyone!
I'd like to add on to what you said about staff; don't be afraid to ask us questions! We're here to help, and no problem is not worth our time. All of us on the staff team would be glad to help if you had any questions.

IPattyI

Forum Legend
PATRON
IPattyI
IPattyI
Patron
Ratings
501 11
Very well said, Pyro! I'm very happy that parkour has been getting more players and attention, but, I have also noticed a somewhat spike in toxicity in the chat in contrast to previous months. We've been trying our best to control that. Also, map submissions have greatly increased but there has been an overall decrease in quality, as you noticed. I absolutely love players actively going out of their way to build maps to add the server and am disappointed when I see their great potential wasted because of a lack of effort and knowledge. Again, thank you for this thread, hearing players' feedback is incredibly important to us. :)

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
Very well said, Pyro, and it's true that parkour has been bustling lately. However, I really haven't noticed the rise in toxicity - yes, parkour can be toxic, but its not hell the way it's sometimes made out to be - since Dreams video. I don't think it's anymore toxic than it would normally be, just there are more players to react to it.

And I haven't seen a drop in submission quality either. I follow map submissions very closely, and there always have been and always will be maps submitted that don't meet the requirements for whatever reason, and those maps will be rejected, same as always. The players who originate from Dreams video aren't any worse builders or worse at following directions than those who were here before... there are just more people now, so the numbers are higher in every category. At the same time as loads of maps are being submitted and rejected, we had 35 maps added this month, which may be the highest I've ever seen. And yes, a lot of experienced map makers made a number of maps this month, but so did new players!

I strongly believe that there's nothing different, more toxic, worse at following directions, or otherwise about the players here from the Dream video. There are just a lot of them, so we're going to see more of everything going on. Dream wasn't a "curse to this server." It's not "the age of Dream." We just have a larger playerbase right now than we did a few months ago.