Rejected Parkour Map: The Wither Fanatics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this map mainly for fun because I'm really that great at making parkour maps however it can't hurt to try and get it added. The Wither fanatics is a map (set in the nether before the update) that tells the story of somebody (you) trying to stop a maniacal group of villains from summoning the wither. Its filled with signs that have some slightly funny jokes.

Username: Bookman17
Map Name: The Wither Fanatic
Plot #: 102;103
Difficulty: On the harder side of easy or on the easier side of medium.
Photos:
2020-07-15_15.38.51.png
2020-07-15_16.04.08.png
Again I'm not really expecting this to become a map, but if it did that would be amazing.

caleb!

Dedicated Member
ELITE
imageyser
imageyser
ELITE
Ratings
251 8
Great job submitting your first map! Right now, I feel like this map shows you have a lot of potential as a mapper and I'd love to see more maps from you soon.

How I will score this is you will start with 0 and then each pro & con will give some amount of points, landing in a final score.

The Pros:
- The map has a clear theme. (+1)
- The map tells a story. (A pro for me, maybe not for everyone. I personally love story parkours!) (+1)
- The building is appealing, not appalling. (+2)
- The jumps are mostly the same difficulty. This is really important to ensure that a parkour course can fit into a single category. (+2)

The Cons:

- There is not a ton of variation in jumps. Most jumps are just block to block, with a headhitter, a fence jump, and a few ladder jumps. (-2)
- The clear theme that has been showcased here is similar to many other maps, as is the story. The whole nether/hell realm storyline has been explored in a few maps I remember, most notably Biomes by pokezelda (Medium) and AfterDeath by Wafflethecat (Easy). You are a great storyteller, but this was not the most unique one for Manacube currently. (-1)
- There is a jump that is 4 blocks forward, 2 blocks across that can only be done with a lot of momentum and doesn't suit the difficulty of this map. I would recommend simplifying it into maybe 2 different jumps. It is near the beginning, right after a four block jump. (-1)
- Finally, this map has a lack of direction. The nether blocks are kind of overwhelming and it's quite easy to get lost. I would recommend using a noticeable color of carpet to guide the player through the parkour. Carpets with a lot of contrast here might be blues, greens, or yellows. (-2)

In the end, I would give this map a score of 0! You have a lot of potential, but there are a few things to improve upon before I think your maps will be top notch. Note that I am NOT a moderator and this is NOT your final chance. This is just my take on the map, what I think could be improved and what I really enjoyed.

I really enjoyed playing through the map and I hope to see more of you!

IPattyI

Forum Legend
PATRON
IPattyI
IPattyI
Patron
Ratings
501 11
Hey Bookman17,

Unfortunately, I will be REJECTING this map submission.
  • Theme: As we have an overabundance of nether-related maps currently on our server, this is a very unoriginally themed map submission. I recommend that you look at our list of previously used maps/themes as to prevent such things: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lZKQZMgGev6fXyhZ8nCPkTzNIj0yOjXjUTDvfzKNzl4/edit .
  • Build: In my opinion, the build is not very good. It's just a very messy representation of the nether. It's not something I find to be original (due to the bunch of nether maps we have) or attractive (due to your execution of it). We expect some more ingenuity on the players' part.
  • Parkour: The parkour had a lot of issues, but, sure, it did fit the medium difficulty length/difficulty-wise. But, it was awfully confusing and repetitive. The parkour didn't make sense sometimes, but that's easily fixable with more signs/carpets. The repetitive aspect, though, is a little trickier. You used a lot of the same blocks/jumps throughout the map, it just didn't feel enjoyable to do. It was very linear. You can theme your blocks with the nether, but try to use some different jumps (and even blocks at times to keep it fresh). If you need an example, think of the interior tower segment.
I hope you take these criticisms into consideration when submitting maps in the future, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.