zzykrkv
VIP+
Ratings
202 5
Username: zzykrkv
Map Name: Upwards Journey
/plot v zzykrkv
Difficulty: Insane
Jumps: ~168 (counting easy transition jumps)

Ok this is the resubmission. I have removed all the bwmm jumps and nerfed some others. The rest should be all good. The buid is also under maintenance to neaten it up. Hope this time it gets accepted.
2020-06-29_09.18.48.png

2020-06-29_09.11.48.png

oops one of the images still has the nix neo lmao ill remove that

zzykrkv

Dedicated Member
VIP+
zzykrkv
zzykrkv
VIP+
Ratings
202 5
oh and btw the last jump has been approved by 2 judges so please allow it ty

zzykrkv

Dedicated Member
VIP+
zzykrkv
zzykrkv
VIP+
Ratings
202 5
oh no people were right today I checked my level and I found 4 additional checkpoints added into to the level. I'm honestly pretty bummed out by this, but I understand [whoever the judge is]'s decision. Hopefully I'll be allowed to buff some of the parts, which, as a result of these additional checkpoints, have become way too easy.

The reason why i'm not too happy about this is that I felt that the individual jumps really weren't that hard. The difficulty came from being able to do them consistently. I might be able to do every jump in 1 or 2 tries, but doing them all in a row is much more challenging. That's, imo, where the challenge in this course lies. It requires the player to take extra precautions, and to be able to do jumps consistently. They'll have to figure out the best methods to approach each jump in order to minimize the randomness involved.

That's at least what I got when trying to verify the level. Now that the bonus checkpoints are added, i'm not sure how I feel about it. Now, all of a sudden, a huge portion of the level which was meant to be a "easier but more to lose" has become just "easy". For example, on the desert section, the 2 towers at the end were meant to be easy, but require good consistently. For the player to be able to maintain focus. Not 1 of those jumps were hard at all. So what happens when they become isolated, is that they become suddenly incredibly easy. Same goes with the end of the upper cave section. None of those jumps were at all hard. The big ladder jump was simply, once again, to make the player act carefully. A ladder is only 2 pixels wide, so one has to take care in lining themselves up. That specific new checkpoint was only 6 easy jumps, and 1 originally had a failsafe as I did acknowledge that it would be frustrating to fail the last jump to a bad tick. For the extra checkpoint in the snowy part, it seems a bit unnecessary, in my opinion. Both difficult jumps in that section were failsafe, and apart from those, there was another 2 linear jumps and 2 unique jumps The addition of that checkpoint has once again reduced the pressure the player experiences when at that stage, which is a big factor in difficulty. Will the player be able to perform basic jumps under pressure? Will they be able to curve smoothly? Will they force momentum or c4.5? Will they jam or jump jam?

The result of these changes is that the difficulty of my level has changed from Insane only to alternating between Insane and Expert. I personally would have nerfed the jumps, or just changed some, as adding checkpoints kinda changes the entire parkour, while nerfing jumps only changes a small bit. I could also buff the small checkpoints, which is what I plan on doing, but this will turn my parkour into a bit of a "Timolia" style course instead of a parkour map. However, I do respect the judges choice to do what they did, and I'm fine with it if they feel that's what's best for this map.

Sorry for sounding a bit rude and entitled here, I just kind of like venting minor frustrations via writing it out????????

IPattyI

Forum Legend
PATRON
IPattyI
IPattyI
Patron
Ratings
501 11
Hey zzykrkv,

Unfortunately, I will be REJECTING this map submission. I must apologize for any misconceptions you may have received regarding your map being accepted. I know it's not pleasant to wait so long and undergo so many changes to just be rejected. This decision was made by me, other judges, and our map manager. I hope you understand.
  • Theme: Although we have our fair share of mountain-related maps, I believe that this takes a very interesting spin on it with the whole theme of climbing up a diverse mountain and justifies its use of such a heavily used theme. In my eyes, it's definitely original. Good job!
  • Build: We did not find your build to be very attractive. There are two grave underlying issues with it: the shaping/blocks and the floating parkour. The former is the most prevalent problem. It is really just not a good looking mountain due to the amorphous shape of it and peculiar block choices for each layer. The orange bit at the beginning is pretty good but the rest is just not very pretty. From a sideways perspective, you can see how odd it looks in terms of shaping. The floating parkour also just works to hinder the builds attractiveness. All in all, even though we see how much effort you put into it, it's just not a very polished finished product. But, this isn't why your map was rejected.
  • Parkour: The parkour was the main reason for the rejection of this map. Although you were led to believe other things, this is not a map suitable for ManaCube Parkour in its current state. It is extremely difficult, although enjoyable (I know that many of our veteran players would love such a challenge). We can see you're a very experienced parkourer and parkour maker, so we'd really love to see you implement these awesome jumps in other maps in a fashion suitable for one of our difficulties. It'd be great to see.
I hope you take these criticisms into consideration when submitting maps in the future, good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.