Rejected "Dimensions" a parkour map by William_Plays_MC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a map! :D This map I called "Dimensions" will send you into a RAMPAGE! You journey through all the dimensions of Minecraft! The dimensions theme is representing that it's very hard to get to each of them. Which is why I included tons of the jumps 4 blocks! (yaay) it may be easy for those who have spent a lot of time in parkour, but you are bound to fall at least once with this finger-jamming parkour! Please give it a try if you are up to the challenge! This took me roughly 2 hours to make.
Requirements:

• The map must have places for us to put checkpoints There's 3 checkpoints, all VERY hard to get to.
  • It must not be extremely wide ( It might interfere with other courses ) I used 1 unmerged plot in creative.
  • Preferably made in a void environment Yep.
  • Preferably a themed parkour (Not just random blocks) I kept the blocks to the theme of the dimension.
  • No redstone I don't see a need.
  • Difficulty: I would say hard.
  • Info on who created the map: Well of course I created the course (see what I did there?)
  • Username of plot: William_Plays_MC
  • Some screenshots: View the album here: http://imgur.com/a/1c30x#5

Last edited:

Nixi

Dedicated Member
Mapper
Ratings
62 3
Map is quite good... For normal players. But players with speed, they can jump from those fences to the endstone bit and finish.If I was donator, I would thankfully take this for my farming course! :p

This map is also quite similar to pokezelda's map on Medium.

I still think you did great job for your first map, just add some barriers so players can't cheat. Remember, donators with speed can do even more than 5 block jumps!

Mahalouker

Donator
Ratings
Sorry, but for me this just reminds of skittles parkour (http://forums.minevast.com/threads/skittles-parkour-hard.3655/), because the type of problems that your map faces are similar to it. I reccomend that you look at what feedback I gave about it. The feedback that I am about to give you will only be because I want to help maximise your chance of getting this map accepted. In the past I have faced 5 course rejects, and now that I have assembled a winning formula; I want to pass on some advice.

Here is how I think you could improve this map:

Just follow these long, boring, but helpful steps:
  • The theme that you chose is very common - to make a map in this theme get accepted it has to be extremely unique. If you still want to stick with the same theme though follow the next steps.
  • At the moment your course lacks detail to it. For example, your wooden house is just a plain, blank, plank box, with a hole in it. The grass, which the house sits on, has no real natural shape to it. An idea would be to make a better house, and build it on a small island. For an idea of an island go to the skyblock server and choose the new island format. This point can also apply for the nether portal as well.
  • There are lots of random blocks. Yes, they may link to your current theme, but they are floating and not really attached to anything. There are two ways that you can combat that. Way 1 is to, massively increase the amount of structures that there are on your map. Maybe build them on the outside of your map - they do not have to be reachable. If you do that, try and make the 'floating blocks' look less in a straight line form, as that will make the map psychologically look less simple - stray away from confusing though. Way 2 is to, make your current 'floating blocks' in to objects (like I suggested to the skittles parkour). Maybe turn each jump to a mini island. Make it more unique, than other maps.
Overall you do display a few, nice ideas, although I cannot see this map getting accepted, as your design is quite poor at the moment. Please take this message as constructive feedback, as I want to help people get their maps accepted.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks, Pawnstorm and Nixi, yes I did add barriers so donors can't cheat. Mahalouker, I'll add some detail now, I can see where I can even add detail to make it harder. I'm gonna fix up the house and add 1 more structure for the Nether and End. I'll upload new screenshots as soon as I'm done! :D
EDIT: I finished the design and I posted new pictures!

Last edited:

Mahalouker

Donator
Ratings
Thanks, Pawnstorm and Nixi, yes I did add barriers so donors can't cheat. Mahalouker, I'll add some detail now, I can see where I can even add detail to make it harder. I'm gonna fix up the house and add 1 more structure for the Nether and End. I'll upload new screenshots as soon as I'm done! :D
EDIT: I finished the design and I posted new pictures!
Good job so far! I think now you should just add a few decorations and it will look really cool.

Good luck!

Billybo10000

Forum Master
Donator
Ratings
169 8
Sadly your map has not made it to the "Reviewing Stage."

Reasons for this include:

• The theme is so commonly used that it takes a lot skill to truly work with said theme. For example, medium Skyblock on the server uses the idea of dimensions in a unique way through layers, levels and designs that make the changes of the world evident. Your map does a lot of basic mistakes.
  • You do not use levels to your advantage. Height in parkour works. It's all about jumping and climbing to a goal and generally that involves moving upwards, downwards and all around. As such, having a parkour in exactly the same level the entire time is rather weak.
  • Instead of using the theme and environment as parkour, you had stuff in the background, like the nether wart farm, which felt like wasted space since you didn't use the set...
~ Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.