God Mine and G.O.T.G.

SSM_GOD

Forum Legend
Ratings
1,890 47
So as you know, God mine is the most used mine. This is for its large size and beautiful landscaping.
However, after mining in any mine for some period of time, you recognize the negatives. In God mine, for me, it's the clouds up in the sky. I play Minecraft with all the settings boosted to the moon. This makes my game look super high quality but sometimes can have some issues. I know many people play with shaders, so this will apply to them too. The clouds in the sky are very heavily taxing on connected textures, emissive textures, custom textures, smooth lighting, anisotropic filtering, antialiasing, and minmap levels. Basically what these settings mean is that the distant blocks look smoother, have better color, and are properly lighted. With the clouds being made from thousands of stained glass panes, loading and updating them significantly lowers fps. For me, I have my fps limited to 60, which I hit and stay steady at while at all other mines, but as God mine, I get around 15.
I know I could just change my settings, but I like the high-quality display. Many players play on low-quality computers and having large builds with intricate details will make them suffer more. And with the surroundings of the mines meant to be looked at, they should be enjoyed at high quality. I recommend that the clouds be changed to at least full stained glass blocks. This will make less of the loading strain and increase fps. A better solution would be to replace the glass with solid blocks. Blocks like quartz or snow will still look the same from far away, but without being opaque, will even be better for performance. The best solution would be to remove the clouds altogether. I think the idea of 'god' is clear enough with the giant statue of Zeus and the Greek temples.

For the top miners, this problem with g.o.t.g. will be more apparent, but will still apply to lesser mining players. When you get into the zone of mining, it's easy to lose track of when you're approaching a g.o.t.g. When your inventory is full and you receive a gift, it drops onto the ground and you lose it. I have this happen about once every 80 gifts. I know this is a very small number, but it's still a loss that could be prevented. An easy solution to end the dropped g.o.t.g. would be to have your inventory sell every time you get a gift. Since the game already runs a command to give you the gift, adding a /sell command to the list would be an easy fix. Having your inventory sell once automatically every 10,000 blocks would not be too much in relation to sellall. While using trench and fortune 25, your inv fills about every 80-100 blocks. This means that you'd need to waste a potential 100 inv full minimum, to get one auto sell.

Changing small things like this takes very little effort but can have great rewards. I think that using the 5 minutes to do both of these changes is totally worth it.

I honestly should start writing books instead of making forum posts. I write too much