How many chunks are activated by an afked player?

Ratings
Hello. I am wondering how many chunks are active by an afked player. By active, I mean mobs can spawn in those chunks. Please and thank you

bca_

Dedicated Member
ELITE
bca_
bca_
ELITE
Ratings
108 6
I believe it is the nearest 9 chunks, so a 3x3 around the player (not 100% sure tho). Spawners only work when the player is within 16 blocks of them.

Geshultz

Forum Master
ELITE
Geshultz
Geshultz
ELITE
Ratings
339 5
Hi @hunter6320
The player actives an average of 3 chunks around the player sort of like a 3x3 circle around the player. So it includes everything in the player's current chunk plus 3 chunks away from the player. Note spawners only work 16 blocks away from a player.

Geshultz

Ratings
Hi @hunter6320
The player actives an average of 3 chunks around the player sort of like a 3x3 circle around the player. So it includes everything in the player's current chunk plus 3 chunks away from the player. Note spawners only work 16 blocks away from a player.

Geshultz
is it 16 blocks up and down as well??

bca_

Dedicated Member
ELITE
bca_
bca_
ELITE
Ratings
108 6
Yes the spawner losing is a 16 block radius around the player. I am led to believe its spherical, but sometimes Minecraft uses cubes. I would have to test it further. Best of luck with whatever spawner designs you are making. :D

bca_

Dedicated Member
ELITE
bca_
bca_
ELITE
Ratings
108 6
From my findings, spawners are most efficient when you're in the same chunk as it. Chunks are 16x16 however will still work within a certain radius of chunks just at a slower rate. This is the same for farms.
I have found the same, but if you stank perfectly on the corners of 4 chunks ( easy to use with a glass pane tube) you can still have a pretty big area to work with.

MCBYT

Forum Master
ELITE
MCBYT
MCBYT
ELITE
Ratings
491 19
is it 16 blocks up and down as well??
No, it's from Y=0 to Y=256 (minimum to maximum) unless ManaCube has modified it from vanilla. It's been 16x16x256 on all servers I've played, as well as in singleplayer. From the official wiki: "Chunks are 16 blocks wide, 16 blocks long, and 256 blocks high, which is 65,536 blocks total. " @Geshultz, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me, but ManaCube is using the vanilla Minecraft chunk loading, correct?