Luck Vines/Ladders

BASSBOAT

MVP
BASSBOAT
BASSBOAT
MVP
Ratings
53 1
I want to get a sort of read on how people on this server view luck vines/ladders (I'll be referring mostly to vines but ladders are also included). I remember one time I was having someone test some of my pk and they remarked that I should get rid of some luck vines that I had and the others there agreed. Upon playing some more and having to deal with luck vines over and over, I began to realize how annoying they really are. Now I know some people have a strat that they use to deal with these that they will swear by and say that they aren't actually luck vines you just have to know how to do them. Well to that I point out that A) not many people know of that strat and B) I find that even knowing how to use the strat, I still fail luck vines fairly often (but this may very well be because I am, in fact, shit). For most people they are truly luck vines where sometimes they will make them and sometimes they won't. It is enormously frustrating to get past a few difficult jumps only to be met with and fail on luck vines and have to start over. From experiences in chat, I feel like most people agree that they are annoying and not even really parkour due to the fact that they take luck (for most people). However, even with all the negative opinions surrounding them, luck vines still seem to pop up in map after map, regardless of difficulty. Have I misread how people feel about them? Their continued popularity is something that confounds me. Personally, I would argue that these atrocities be discouraged/not allowed at least in easy/medium maps where very few people will even know that there even is a strat for them. An argument could be made that they fit the hard/expert/insane difficulties. That doesn't make them any less annoying. But this is about more than just annoyance. There are plenty of annoying parkour jumps that are perfectly fine. My issue is the "luck" factor. I feel that anything relying on luck (or an obscure and somewhat inconsistent strat) shouldn't really be allowed on this server. But I am interested to hear your guys' thoughts and opinions on this topic and I hope some people with opposing view points will clue me in to why luck vines/ladders shouldn't be discouraged/banned. I have included an example of luck vines for those who are unacquainted with the term.

Attachments

rew

Forum Master
ELITE
TigerTwist2
TigerTwist2
ELITE
Ratings
401 124
Not luck, if you take the time to learn the timing you will be able to do them consistently (13.0/167.0 go down a few ticks). No strat is perfect due to tick timings, but that's as close as it gets. So what if they're luck for most people? Either take the time to learn it or stop complaining.

Snackbone

Snackbone
Snackbone
Ratings
I think honestly it's less luck and more momentum, though I may be mixing this up with a different kind of jump. I say just work on momentum and timing and you'll probably be able to get the hang of them. I personally think parkour kind of has a element of luck embedded into it, so I don't think there's any real reason to fully remove them unless they are actually legitimately impossible.
Hope this helps!

BASSBOAT

MVP
BASSBOAT
BASSBOAT
MVP
Ratings
53 1
Not luck, if you take the time to learn the timing you will be able to do them consistently (13.0/167.0 go down a few ticks). No strat is perfect due to tick timings, but that's as close as it gets. So what if they're luck for most people? Either take the time to learn it or stop complaining.
I will practice them and get the timing down. That's something I've been working on for a bit now since I kept getting fed up with failing. But for players who aren't as experienced and have no idea how to successfully get these vines, I see them becoming extremely upset whenever they encounter them. Many of the players on these easy/medium maps wouldn't have any idea how to go about using the strategy you mentioned ("13.0/167.0 go down a few ticks"). Although, most players on hard/experts/insanes would be better equipped to use this strategy so that's certainly an argument for them sticking around in those difficulties. I do disagree with the sentiment of "So what if they're luck for most people". Those are the people that I am really trying to help out as I see them getting upset in chat all the time.. These vines being luck for them is why I wanted to bring this topic up. I was hoping to try and initiate an improvement their experience on this server ever so slightly. Also, I didn't mean to come off as complaining but I can see how it could have seemed that way so that's my bad. I was just trying to present my opinion and see how others felt. Thanks for the feedback!

BASSBOAT

MVP
BASSBOAT
BASSBOAT
MVP
Ratings
53 1
I think honestly it's less luck and more momentum, though I may be mixing this up with a different kind of jump. I say just work on momentum and timing and you'll probably be able to get the hang of them. I personally think parkour kind of has a element of luck embedded into it, so I don't think there's any real reason to fully remove them unless they are actually legitimately impossible.
Hope this helps!
I too find that momentum seems to help with them. As to your point that parkour has an element of luck embedded into it, I would agree! However, I know many people feel that that the need for luck is exemplified in these luck vines (which as rew pointed out aren't actually luck for some players). Wether that is necessarily a bad thing is up for debate and that's kind of the purpose of this thread. Again, I may have come off too strong against luck vines in my original post, The main objective of this was to gauge opinions rather than rag on luck vines. In was just trying to present my negative opinion on them and learn how others felt. You make a good point that they aren't impossible and therefore shouldn't be removed. Thanks for the response!

jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
I just want to make it super duper clear, the reason why they are called “luck” vines or ladders is cause no matter the strategy you use like bounce three times on ladder and go which is the strat I use, nothing is 100 percent.

You can get close to consistent but it will never become something like a pessi. I do suggest finding a semi-consistent strategy though because it doesn’t look like luck vines/ladders are going anywhere on manacube.

The problem is that they are often very poorly executed on maps. People that put a luck vine at the end of a difficult checkpoint are either truly cruel people or just lack understanding of the jump.

My personal opinion is I don’t like them and I won’t put them on any of my maps because they are just kinda stupid.

BASSBOAT

MVP
BASSBOAT
BASSBOAT
MVP
Ratings
53 1
I just want to make it super duper clear, the reason why they are called “luck” vines or ladders is cause no matter the strategy you use like bounce three times on ladder and go which is the strat I use, nothing is 100 percent.

You can get close to consistent but it will never become something like a pessi. I do suggest finding a semi-consistent strategy though because it doesn’t look like luck vines/ladders are going anywhere on manacube.

The problem is that they are often very poorly executed on maps. People that put a luck vine at the end of a difficult checkpoint are either truly cruel people or just lack understanding of the jump.

My personal opinion is I don’t like them and I won’t put them on any of my maps because they are just kinda stupid.
I'd agree with pretty much everything you said including the fact that they may not be going anywhere. That 3 bounce strat sounds interesting... I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

BenIsRandom

MVP
BenIsRandom
BenIsRandom
MVP
Ratings
Usually I just climb over from the other side of the vine while holding sprint, then pressing shift at the exact moment you hit the other vine. Again, it's not 100%, and there may be a lot of better strategies. Experiment a bit with them and see which strategy best suits you. I do think momentum can go a long way, though.