jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
Hi. I was curious what the dynamic is when making parkour maps with other people and how that compares to making maps alone. I’ve helped make 3 maps and all 3 have been done with at least 1 other person which sounds bad because it sounds like I got carried but I was usually asked to help and not the one asking.

How is the work divided? What do you guys do if there is a disagreement? Do you let one person do the build and the other do the parkour? I’d be curious to see your thoughts.

For me, I find building the parkour the most enjoyable so I like it best if I’m working with a builder to leave all the parkour to me and I’ll leave the build to them and we can give critiques to each other’s stuff once we are done. I think it’s important to have a consistent idea/set of concepts when building and it can often get jumbled up if more than 1 person is building the parkour/build.

That’s why I finally understand why making maps solo is so freeing. You can just do whatever the frick you want.

Destroyer

Dedicated Member
ELITE
TheDestroyer7234
TheDestroyer7234
ELITE
Ratings
144 6
Aww Jacob :/
I've been building a lot of maps with Ink lately, and we would do the build and parkour together, but I usually get pushy xD
Usually someone would do a build and then ask me to do parkour, or I would either do a build and I'm too lazy to make pk so I would ask someone else. But in cases when I work with someone throughout the whole map-making, we would both build how we might want something, and then we would decide if we like it or not.

Sometimes when I do a build or pk with someone, I get too forceful for what I might want, but I also like other people's ideas and how they might execute something. Building a map alone can be challenging sometimes, but I defiantly understand where you're coming from. Having good communication with either the map builder or the person making the parkour is always best.
Just do what you think might work out the best! :D

PyroTortilla

Forum Master
MVP+
PyroTortilla
PyroTortilla
MVP+
Ratings
387 10
I typically either do the build or do the parkour. I'm not great at doing either lol but practice makes perfect. As for how the work is split up, 2 of my maps are with Samantha so we kind of just did the whole map together while in calls. For the maps I did with Casey and Pres, I just did the build then had them do the parkour and for Pier I did the whole thing myself (which is probably why people like it the least it really seemed like it was easy when I submitted it I'm so sorry everyone)

BluePottwal

Dedicated Member
ELITE
BluePottwal
BluePottwal
ELITE
Ratings
164 12
Since i am not very creative at building maps i prefer just doing the parkour. If i do the parkour i try to help a bit with the build, cause otherwise i feel like i did nothing.

jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
I typically either do the build or do the parkour. I'm not great at doing either lol but practice makes perfect. As for how the work is split up, 2 of my maps are with Samantha so we kind of just did the whole map together while in calls. For the maps I did with Casey and Pres, I just did the build then had them do the parkour and for Pier I did the whole thing myself (which is probably why people like it the least it really seemed like it was easy when I submitted it I'm so sorry everyone)
Yea I’m kinda afraid to do a map alone because I’m afraid everyone will hate it. The first map I helped on was theskeld and everyone trashed on it but it mainly wasn’t my fault but partly my fault so I’m afraid if I make a bad map alone it will just be all my fault. But I have learned a ton since then and I do think I’ve gotten a lot better at making fun and enjoyable parkour.

jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
Aww Jacob :/
I've been building a lot of maps with Ink lately, and we would do the build and parkour together, but I usually get pushy xD
Usually someone would do a build and then ask me to do parkour, or I would either do a build and I'm too lazy to make pk so I would ask someone else. But in cases when I work with someone throughout the whole map-making, we would both build how we might want something, and then we would decide if we like it or not.

Sometimes when I do a build or pk with someone, I get too forceful for what I might want, but I also like other people's ideas and how they might execute something. Building a map alone can be challenging sometimes, but I defiantly understand where you're coming from. Having good communication with either the map builder or the person making the parkour is always best.
Just do what you think might work out the best! :D
We should make a map sometime lol

Elly_x

Forum God
ELITE
Elly_x
Elly_x
ELITE
Ratings
557 20
Personally I prefer making maps with other people, I love sharing ideas and learning new things. Building with others shouldn't take away any work and you shouldn't feel less like you earn it. Personally every time I work on a map with someone, I learn something new and expand my knowledge or I teach someone else! Lots of people just stick with parkour while others just stick with builds and the end result is beautiful still!

Destroyer

Dedicated Member
ELITE
TheDestroyer7234
TheDestroyer7234
ELITE
Ratings
144 6
Yea I’m kinda afraid to do a map alone because I’m afraid everyone will hate it. The first map I helped on was theskeld and everyone trashed on it but it mainly wasn’t my fault but partly my fault so I’m afraid if I make a bad map alone it will just be all my fault. But I have learned a ton since then and I do think I’ve gotten a lot better at making fun and enjoyable parkour.
Jacob, don't worry about what people say! You want to make people enjoy the map, but at the same time, just do what you want and feel like. If I were to make maps thinking "would I get backlash?" all of my parkour would be boring or something. Just do what you want. Ink made some of the worst maps on Manacube, and even though he sometimes gets backlash, he doesn't care which is what you should do too. Sorry ink <3
And I think it would be great to make a map with you!

jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
A few things I forgot to mention. Because of my first experience helping with a map, I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to making sure every little thing is perfect so I really don’t like to rush in submission. And I understand that’s really annoying for people that I work with.

I also really like to hear feedback from as many people as I can. I want the map to be playable for as many people as possible. So usually it takes a lot longer for me to submit after finishing the map in general

Elly_x

Forum God
ELITE
Elly_x
Elly_x
ELITE
Ratings
557 20
Also, your parkour has gotten so much better since that map!! Most mappers have a map that when they look back on they either hate it or the community hates it. You'll never get better without trying and I know you got this! Don't be afraid of what other people say, take the criticism and use it to get better. You took the criticism on theskeld and got so much better. When I was testing Nick's map, I loved with the parkour (I was under the impression Casey made it) than Nick said it was yours and I was super impressed. You should so make a solo map, I think it would be amazing!

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
I'm also someone who really only likes to do either the build or the parkour. I'm ALSO a perfectionist when it comes to building, I would never submit something that I wasn't 100% confident in. I'm also someone who is pretty seasoned at making builds (especially if they are of cute things) so I'm not inclined to collab with someone on a build most of the time. The only time I really like to collab and break down the parts beyond just the build and parkour is when the project is huge, and working on the build alone is a bit daunting.

That being said, collabs don't take away from the accomplishment of getting a map accepted. I think it's a great thing to be able to show you can work together effectively with others to achieve something. We haven't had a problem for awhile where there's a ridiculous number of collaborators on a build that...clearly didn't need that many (ex. 5 people to build an easy map is far too many). Everyone has been good about making sure everyone who worked on a map did a significant amount :)

jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
I'm also someone who really only likes to do either the build or the parkour. I'm ALSO a perfectionist when it comes to building, I would never submit something that I wasn't 100% confident in. I'm also someone who is pretty seasoned at making builds (especially if they are of cute things) so I'm not inclined to collab with someone on a build most of the time. The only time I really like to collab and break down the parts beyond just the build and parkour is when the project is huge, and working on the build alone is a bit daunting.

That being said, collabs don't take away from the accomplishment of getting a map accepted. I think it's a great thing to be able to show you can work together effectively with others to achieve something. We haven't had a problem for awhile where there's a ridiculous number of collaborators on a build that...clearly didn't need that many (ex. 5 people to build an easy map is far too many). Everyone has been good about making sure everyone who worked on a map did a significant amount :)
Yea I really want to make an expert/insane by myself but just the thought of making a giant build for such a map is so intimidating.

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
Yea I really want to make an expert/insane by myself but just the thought of making a giant build for such a map is so intimidating.
Totally understandable. I will say my two solo insanes took me about a month to make (mostly because I'm a busy person, and it's hard to sit down and focus as staff). Take it one step at a time, you don't have to make it SUPER QUICKLY, quality over quantity :D

BASSBOAT

MVP
BASSBOAT
BASSBOAT
MVP
Ratings
53 1
I can't build for the life of me so I usually ask to help someone making a map with parkour (similar to Blue). If the person building the map wants to change something in my pk, I usually let them even if I disagree because I feel like they made the map and I'm just here to help. It can be frustrating sometimes when something you like gets changed but I think it is important to be okay with losing out on something you like if the builder of the map wants to change it. I would love to make a map by myself so my pk can be exactly how I want it but that would mean I would have to build sooooo.

jacobsfunparty

Forum Expert
ELITE
jacobsfunparty
jacobsfunparty
ELITE
Ratings
337 6
I can't build for the life of me so I usually ask to help someone making a map with parkour (similar to Blue). If the person building the map wants to change something in my pk, I usually let them even if I disagree because I feel like they made the map and I'm just here to help. It can be frustrating sometimes when something you like gets changed but I think it is important to be okay with losing out on something you like if the builder of the map wants to change it. I would love to make a map by myself so my pk can be exactly how I want it but that would mean I would have to build sooooo.
I am not like this at all. If someone I’m working with wants to change a jump they better have a solid reason. I’m ok with criticism but I’m not gonna let someone change something just cause they built the map lol

<Inktest>

Forum Expert
ELITE
Inktest
Inktest
ELITE
Ratings
228 6
I am not like this at all. If someone I’m working with wants to change a jump they better have a solid reason. I’m ok with criticism but I’m not gonna let someone change something just cause they built the map lol
It's normal to feel like this, when I started doing pk all jumps were fixed while I wasn't looking, I find that worse, overtime you'll learn, I recommend finding someone who gives you suggestions and advises on how to fix the pk :D

ampsterdam

Dedicated Member
ELITE
ampsterdam
ampsterdam
ELITE
Ratings
Yes. I usually either do the build or pk as well. sometimes I will do basically the entire thing and just ask some ppl to make some small changes.

Presidenten

Forum Master
ELITE
Hampifant
Hampifant
ELITE
Ratings
521 13
It is very controversial if a person should get credits by only building the parkour. I have made many collab maps where one of us does the build and the other does the parkour.

If you made the build, you should take the credits. It's basically your map. If you only made the parkour, it kind of depends, for easy-hard maps. No, you don't deserve the credits. For insane and some experts I think you do, for example. If I'm asked to build parkour on someone elses insane map, I spend hours on it, sometimes it takes several days to get the perfect jumps at perfect positions. If you spend so much time on building parkour you deserve the credit.

If you helped making the map. I think it's a good idea to divide it into %. How many % of the build did you make? There are some stupid people that placed a few blocks and take credit for it. I would say if you did less than 20% of the build, you shouldn't get credit.

It's just my opinion. I'm a mapper with over 50 maps so I don't really care if I get credit or not on collabs.

Destroyer

Dedicated Member
ELITE
TheDestroyer7234
TheDestroyer7234
ELITE
Ratings
144 6
It is very controversial if a person should get credits by only building the parkour. I have made many collab maps where one of us does the build and the other does the parkour.

If you made the build, you should take the credits. It's basically your map. If you only made the parkour, it kind of depends, for easy-hard maps. No, you don't deserve the credits. For insane and some experts I think you do, for example. If I'm asked to build parkour on someone elses insane map, I spend hours on it, sometimes it takes several days to get the perfect jumps at perfect positions. If you spend so much time on building parkour you deserve the credit.

If you helped making the map. I think it's a good idea to divide it into %. How many % of the build did you make? There are some stupid people that placed a few blocks and take credit for it. I would say if you did less than 20% of the build, you shouldn't get credit.

It's just my opinion. I'm a mapper with over 50 maps so I don't really care if I get credit or not on collabs.
I understand what you're saying, but I think that if you make the parkour for any difficulty, you should get credit. I get what your saying about how some people would just do little to no work on the map and still get credit, like most of chicken's maps.

But still, I think the parkour is a big aspect of making a map because there are many bad builds, but good parkour. Sometimes I even feel bad if I don't add someone's head if they tested my map, but I should do what you said where if someone does help me with just a little of the build, I would still be grateful that they helped me, but I wouldn't give them credit for making the build. But again, I would be mad if someone didn't credit me if I did the parkour, and I think other people would get mad too if I don't credit them.

ampsterdam

Dedicated Member
ELITE
ampsterdam
ampsterdam
ELITE
Ratings

When I do the build on one of my maps I usually ask somebody else to either help me with the pk or do it entirely. I think if somebody did the pk for me I would give them like 'Parkour builder' whereas like you said if they just did a few blocks or jumps of the pk I would probably just give them helper. However if somebody takes a decent amount of time out of their day to help me with something I feel like they deserve something in return :)