Politics and Hypothesis

Where are you on this scale?

• 5 - Politics are important to me, I appreciate strong opinions.

• 4. I enjoy political discussion, and usually join in.

• 3. It's not the world to me, but I still have opinions.

• 2. I'm not much for politics, uninvolved.

• 1. Dislike politics, will try to stop chat from including them.

• 0. What is politics? (Had to include this I know you're out there)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ratings
Modest Thoughts

Politics are generalized as a touchy subject in America especially, but globally as well. The simple answer to this characterization is that people misrepresent their views, and make inflammatory remarks regarding different opinions that start conflict. This is a fact. Facts are what we base hypothesis on. Hypothesis, our grounds for action. Whatever is next - starts with our prediction of the outcome.

Here is a hypothesis - Politics have an argumentative trend, and thus preventing arguments should be dealt with at the root: politics.
This hypothesis is correct in it's assumption, and I will remind you that hypothesizing is merely the idea, almost never the final intent.

When an experiment is performed, trial and error paves way for the correct way to solve a problem. Your hypothesis, the first step - is then formed into an improved, long term note to look back on anytime the problem arises. I would venture to say that the decision to mute users for starting political discussion, whether heated or civil - was an experiment. I would also argue that the trials proved that nipping the problem at the bud, politics - was the end result and a reasonable one.

For those certain I was appealing for a user muted for this reason - I respectfully decline, decisions are decisions. And for those of you who aren't interested in reading a bit of speculation, here lies the transition where I begin writing a lot more words. For finality, skip to the last section, for context (if you would like to agree/disagree), right below.

Find Your Humanity, People.

In the spirit of election season, I've found myself happy-go-lucky when it comes to jumping into political debate/discussion. It's fairly obvious that a large - if not majority of this server does not care about politics. But for the quarter or more that do - I'd like to extend a modest request to find your humanity. If you're involved in politics at all - then you shouldn't need an explanation to know if you're one of the reasons why it's considered a heated topic.

Cooling off isn't an attempt to lessen the importance of government, economy, and global activity. These will always be hot topics, but the word heated doesn't have to mean fiery. Anyone watching the presidential debates of the US in 2016 knows all too well that there is definitely a wrong way to have a political discussion. To those who feel the need to not only boast there own opinions, but slander others - to these people I would advise real life endeavors rather than the bleak satisfaction of virtually flexing through pixelated eyes each and every day.

When I chose the title "Find Your Humanity" I wasn't speaking only to the instigators. I was speaking to those who let instigators dictate how others converse. This means those with the capacity to /ignore an intentionally rude player or use /report instead of being dragged down to their level. There are very few people I know who don't let themselves fall into immaturity for the sake of countering a "fuck u stupid noob".

Politics is a beautiful thing that is drastically ruined by society. There is a conscious decision made by all who defile civil discussion, a conscious decision to forget their humanity for a few seconds of pleasure. Don't let such a small slice of the pie distract you from the whole you could be enjoying. The full value of a political discussion isn't just in the sharing of ideas - it's in what you learn about the people you talk with. How they think, different perspectives to consider in your own opinions. This is the reason we debate, not for the sake of our own egos.

For change to ever take place this needs to be in the forefront of our minds. Politics is an exchange, not a one-sided transaction. You are listening to what people have to say to better understand the reasons behind given opinions. In today's generation, politicians work more for themselves than the community they represent, which is largely the reason why political discussion has gone in a similar direction.

Cheese!

You can make a difference! <- That was cheesy I know, but how else shall I word it? There is a world of ideas and angles to explore, it's up to individuals to look further and see the big picture. Let respect dictate conversation instead of mindless egoism.

In a closing fashion I will acknowledge that this is a block game and you can call me crazy for urging others to find their humanity in it. I'm 19 years old and play Olympus Prison from ManaCube, there's enough weight in that to downplay craziness in my head. So yes I think that there'd be a lot of wonderful conversation and discussion if people took a step in the right direction.

In a more truthfully closing fashion I'll say that this was indeed in response to a mute for assumed political argument which hadn't escalated yet. Right now it's a just rule to disallow regular political discussion in chat. It's my hope that in weeks, months, maybe even years (whatever it takes imaginedragonspls) - this can be a server to enjoy playing Minecraft but also appreciate courteous political conversation for any who wish to join.

Thanks for reading I know this was long ,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Par

Note: The poll isn't intended to determine the effect of this thread, just out of curiosity.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
Well said! I couldn't agree more.

Owendog77

Ratings
9 3
Very well said and i love a good political debate.. One thing i would like to say is that in the beginning you kind of made it seem like you are a supporter of communism by saying that
I would also argue that the trials proved that nipping the problem at the bud, politics - was the end result and a reasonable one.
We all know that communism DOES NOT WORK. I don't actually think you believe that but it kinda sounded like it.

Ratings
The demographic on servers like these does not allow for the idealistic vision of political discussions you would like to see more of.

It is all too easy for the average user here to say something inflammatory which immediately creates a toxic situation, or offends someone. I don't disagree with most of the points you make, but politics and otherwise sensitive discussions do not belong on a minecraft server.

For this reason, I think that political or sensitive discussions should be moderated here. If there are two individuals with a legitimate interest in discussing one of these topics, they can contact one another on Discord or something.

Owendog77

Ratings
9 3
The demographic on servers like these does not allow for the idealistic vision of political discussions you would like to see more of.

It is all too easy for the average user here to say something inflammatory which immediately creates a toxic situation, or offends someone. I don't disagree with most of the points you make, but politics and otherwise sensitive discussions do not belong on a minecraft server.

For this reason, I think that political or sensitive discussions should be moderated here. If there are two individuals with a legitimate interest in discussing one of these topics, they can contact one another on Discord or something.
Then what would you do if somebody said a staff member should be demoted, are you going to mute for that? Theres a fine line between a political discussion and a "normal conversation". The question is where is it.

I played a server for a very long time wih the most toxic and diverse demographic i could imagine on a MC server, yet we were still able to complete short political discussions every now and then. The point isn't that we dont want politics in MC, but rather the audience on manacube seems to be on the younger side and politics might scare them away. Theres an easy fix to this, be respectful and simple when conversing your views and opinions, and try not to use big words :)

RainingNarwhals

Dedicated Member
ELITE
RainingNarwhals
RainingNarwhals
ELITE
Ratings
178 13

I am unsure if this situation is any worse than normal adults having the same conversation. If anything, I feel like with a younger audience comes a more open minded audience, which in turns leads to a more productive and insightful conversation.

Owendog77

Ratings
9 3
I am unsure if this situation is any worse than normal adults having the same conversation. If anything, I feel like with a younger audience comes a more open minded audience, which in turns leads to a more productive and insightful conversation.
But at the same time produces a more immature and sloppy conversation. younger minds also dont have the experiance it takes to agree on the best possible solution, both because they dont have the life experiance and education of a young adult or older.

Most also wouldn't have the vocabulary required to reflect exactly what they mean, i know i dont most of the time. This would be especially true if they grew up playing lots of videogames instead of reading like myself and the generations before generation X.

Oftentimes the best solutions are found in people who know the truth. if youve ever talked about war with someone who has fought in the same conflict, especially vietnam and WWII, you would know that they normally value human life more then we could ever imagine, why? Because they've seen shit, and they dont want the same for future generations.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
But at the same time produces a more immature and sloppy conversation. younger minds also dont have the experiance it takes to agree on the best possible solution, both because they dont have the life experiance and education of a young adult or older.

Most also wouldn't have the vocabulary required to reflect exactly what they mean, i know i dont most of the time. This would be especially true if they grew up playing lots of videogames instead of reading like myself and the generations before generation X.

Oftentimes the best solutions are found in people who know the truth. if youve ever talked about war with someone who has fought in the same conflict, especially vietnam and WWII, you would know that they normally value human life more then we could ever imagine, why? Because they've seen shit, and they dont want the same for future generations.
Blunt but true.