zzykrkv

Dedicated Member
VIP+
zzykrkv
zzykrkv
VIP+
Ratings
202 5
From playing maps and testing upcoming ones, I have too often seen a recurring exploit. Although this server is for 1.8, it still somewhat caters to 1.9+ players. There are many changes in different versions, but from 1.8 to 1.9, there is a change in the game's physics. In short, the way the game calculated when to set your speed to 0 (minimum speed threshold) changes, and with this, so does your movement. For example, a air shift tap covers different lengths in the different versions because of this change.

More notably, however, is the change in jump height. See, this threshold applies to all speed, including vertical speed. As a result of this, the highest you jump changes from ~1.249. to a bit over 1.25. This is a big deal as it passes a 1/16 mark, meaning there is a fresh set of different block combos that can be cleared in 1.9 but not 1.8, since 1 pixel is 1/16 of a block.

Here I have listed some blocks one must beware of
Enchantment table (0.75 high)
all 3 Cocoa Beans (0.75 high)
Head attached to a wall (0.75 high)
Piston base (0.75 high)
7 snow layers (0.75 high)
Flat part of piston head (0.25 high)
3 snow layers (0.25 high)

These are some common ones, however, there are more heights which use a mix of different blocks, for example, bed to end portal frame or daylight sensor to 6 layers of snow. This is more common than you might think, so it's important to make unclearable heights ABOVE 1.25 so that a jump isn't cheesable or you cant jump to a spot in the level you aren't meant to go. Through playing and testing various maps, this is one of the most common exploits I find. (yes I have found big exploits like this in levels).

This is just 1 example
2020-08-04_18.04.53.png

(look at coords)

Heres something i found while testing a level, this skips a jump
1596531796096.png

BUT WAIT THERES MORE
While i'm talking about version related exploits, I may also state this one, which is also a 1.9 thing.

In 1.9, something else that changes is sneak height. While in 1.8 you can fit into a 1.8125bc (block ceiling), in 1.9 you can fit in a 1.6875bc using sneak. Why does this matter? because this means it's easier to fit into low ceilings. I'll explain.

It is widely known this jump is "impossible"
1596532275648.png

However, what many don't is that this is actually possible on 1.9 due to the lower sneak height. This is applicable in many cases, not just the +0.5 2bc, so it is important to beware of this. ALthough it may be hard to make a jump where you can't use this exploits, it is posible to patch any ways of going off the parkour to an unintended area, potentially being a skip, or creating an unintentional easy alternative or an unintentional failsafe (yes this has happened, look at the map "DisneyCastle"). And yes, I have encountered the exploits mentioned before.

To sum up, in 1.9 there are some big changes in the game's physics, and this leads to many previously impossible jumps becoming possible. These being the 1.25 high jump and jumps into low ceilings. This is especially important for easy, medium and hard maps, which tend to be played by less experienced parkourers who may not know that 1.8 is the best version. It would be nice if people were more aware of this.

Thanks for listening