Accepted The Maze Runner - Insane (Re-Resubmission)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WICKEDMagma

Dedicated Member
Mapper
WICKEDMagma
WICKEDMagma
Ratings
162 8
Username: WICKEDMagma

Map name: The Maze Runner

Photos:

1598150881723.png

Plot: /plot visit WICKEDMagma 2

Difficulty: Insane

Number of jumps: 143 jumps & 14 checkpoints

My first submission of this map was rejected due to the inconsistent difficulty and confusing path. So, changed 75% of the jumps to match the Insane difficulty. However, my second submission was rejected due to the overly insane difficulty and confusing checkpoint sign placements. In order to reduce the difficulty of the map, I changed the path slightly in order to make the map shorter. I managed to remove around 40 jumps. I also changed the path so there wouldn't be as many head hitters caused by a roof. The new path is also a lot more interesting and enjoyable, unlike last time where I mostly stuck to the walls of the glade. I replaced many of the ladder jumps to reduce the difficulty for players in 1.8.9. I also found that the orange directional carpets I put down to highlight the path, as well as the large amount of signs, made the builds look kinda ugly, and they looked out of place. So, instead, I used stone heads with arrows engraved in them to point in the direction of the path. There are no more trail carpets, so it may make the path slightly more confusing, but it makes the build look cleaner. I still left directional signs where I think the player would need them. I think if this map were to be rejected again, it would be due to the lack of directional signs and the slightly confusing path. Other than that, I think this second resubmission has a VERY good chance to be accepted.

Theme 5/5: This theme is definitely original since there are no other maps based on The Maze Runner. There are a few maps with mazes in them, those mazes are a very minor attraction to those maps. I noticed there is one other person trying to submit their own Maze Runner map, so, if their map somehow manages to get accepted before mine, then... we're gonna have a problem.

Build 6/5: I put detail into every single bit of this map, including the areas you can only see, but can't access. The layout of the glade is accurate. The maze is ideal. Everything you see in The Maze Runner film is on this map, and everything you'd imagine The Maze Runner to look like is on this map. I tried to make the exterior look slightly more appealing, mainly since you're gonna be able to see it when doing a parkour map right next to mine, and I don't want those players to just see a bunch of stone and ugly exposed junk. I also changed the biome of the glade to give it a more gloomy and prison-like vibe.

Parkour 5/5: I tested the map myself and found it to fit the Insane difficulty much better than last time. I'd say it's just right. The only issue is the player might be confused in certain areas in terms of where to jump next. I added arrows and directional signs wherever necessary. The parkour is integrated into the build quite nicely. I made it easier to spot the checkpoints, and put them in areas where it would be most useful.

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
Hello WICKEDMagma,

I am happy to tell you that at last, this map is being accepted. As you know, the theme and build are original and very well executed. So, I will get right into the parkour--

Let me be clear that without taking the two hours to go through and edit the parkour of this map quite a bit (and it were left as you submitted it), it would NOT have been accepted. There were still jumps that were extremely precise and annoying to do that have now been adjusted, making the map more fun to play. The map is now decent. I would like you to take this into consideration for making maps in the future: sometimes you have to sacrifice the build a bit to make quality parkour. We didn't destroy anything on the build, but more could have been done to make the parkour really really fun if more of the parkour was in the free space on the floor of the maze, for example. The pacing of the map is still not great, it feels longer than it is even with changes to sections to make the jumps more cohesive. Please consider looking through the parkour as it is now (and do not change anything, please) and notice differences so that you can make even better parkour in the future.

Thank you for your patience through the process of bringing this map up to acceptance standards. If you have any questions, feel free to message me on Discord.

Status
Not open for further replies.