Rejected The Maze Runner - Insane (Resubmission)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WICKEDMagma

Dedicated Member
Mapper
WICKEDMagma
WICKEDMagma
Ratings
162 8
Username: WICKEDMagma

Map name: The Maze Runner

Photos:
1596106623334.png

Plot: /plot visit WICKEDMagma 2

Difficulty: Insane

Number of jumps: 180 jumps & 16 checkpoints

My first submission of this map was rejected due to the inconsistent difficulty and confusing path. I've changed 75% of the jumps to match the Insane difficulty. The main spots I changed were the elevator shaft, glade vines, and deadhead forest. I added trapdoors and fences to turn Hard neos to Insane. I also added a bit more variety to the parkour with several creative jump concepts. To make the parkour less confusing, I added a large number of directional signs. I also changed the path of the parkour a bit in order to avoid having to use extremely exotic barrier placements. I also placed barrier block signs in places where the player might be tempted to jump to; I left areas that are very clear to be out of bounds unmarked. The last thing I did was add a few checkpoints and move them around a bit. I did my best to place them near the jumps where the player is likely going to take many attempts to make, and in places where the player can reach it from different parts of the parkour. I think if this map were to be rejected again, it would be due to the slightly excessive use of ladders, neos, and ladder neos. Other than that, I think this resubmission has a pretty good chance to be accepted.

Theme 5/5: This theme is definitely original since there are no other maps based on The Maze Runner. There are a few maps with mazes in them, those mazes are a very minor attraction to those maps.

Build 6/5: I put detail into every single bit of this map, including the areas you can only see, but can't access. The layout of the glade is accurate. The maze is ideal. Everything you see in The Maze Runner film is on this map, and everything you'd imagine The Maze Runner to look like is on this map.

Parkour 4/5: There is a lot more variation in the types of jumps than last time, and the difficulty is much more consistent. I gave myself only a 4/5 because there are a few areas in the map where the jumps are slightly repetitive, although I tried to shorten those areas. There are quite a few ladders, neos, and ladder to ladder neos, but I think the creativity of some of the other jumps make up for it.

Last edited:

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
Hello WICKEDMagma,

I regret to say I will be rejecting this map. As you know already, the build and theme are very original. There are maps with mazes in them, but none about mazes itself. The build is very impressive, and feels almost exactly like a Minecraft replica of the movie itself. Very well done! This is not news to you though, let me get onto my critique of the parkour once again...

Realizing that my own opinion may not be enough as I am not the most pro parkour player on the server, I enlisted the help of a fellow mapper and expert parkourist as well as other map judges for an opinion of this map's parkour. The build is amazing...I'd love to be able to accept this map today, but I can't. The parkour difficulty is definitely consistent now, but now overly insane in difficulty. Because of the length and the extreme difficulty, I am having to reject the map today.
I will be including some links to some screenshots in a spoiler below for some specific comments about things that will need to be fixed in the map, or some things that will be good for you to know. Most of them are pertaining to the added difficulty by the map being seemingly created in 1.12, when the server needs everything to be possible in 1.8.9. Please check these screenshots, I think you will find them helpful in adjusting the map. I didn't cover every single jump in the map doing this, it will still be up to you and what you decide with my next comments.
I think the root of the problems with this map come from the path. You tend to hug the walls of the map a lot when you have created an amazing amount of space to work with and path through. It may be a lot of work, but I think redoing all of the parkour to be on the ground and more sparingly on the walls in some places could really help bring this map down in difficulty. A lot of this map's difficulty comes from either a) having a ceiling over the head which makes the jump annoying, or b) a ladder hitbox being much thinner in 1.8.9 than it is in 1.9+.
In addition, I also think that I missed initially where a lot of the checkpoints were or still haven't found some of them, as they are placed in very weird spots. I would recommend even having a barrier with the checkpoint floating midair, or signs back to back with one having the Checkpoint or other directions. The way your signs are placed in some spots are unreadable or very confusing.
There are many insanes that exist currently that can showcase what I mean by "having the parkour on the ground". It's not obtrusive to the build, isn't on the floor the WHOLE time, but you are able to set up jumps how you'd like. A few of these insanes are CoconutMall, CheepCheepBeach, WigglersNest, and NumberOne. There are many maps that are NOT insanes that are structured very similarly.
Please remember WICKED, that I'm trying to help you! The build you have created is amazing, and these comments don't come from a place of malice. As I stated already, I would love to accept this map in the future if you are willing to learn from these criticisms and put in the work. If you have questions, feel free to message me here on the forums, in-game or on Discord. I hope to see revisions from you soon!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.