BinLicker

Forum Master
ELITE
BinLicker
BinLicker
ELITE
Ratings
482 8
Warnings given by mods should appear across your screen exactly like the "discord" pop up does. This ensures you do no miss warnings for any of the following examples: You aren't reading chat, you are building, you are concentrating on gameplay, a scrambler pushes the warning off screen, chat is typing too fast. Warning across the screen means people don't get muted for missing warnings when they would've happily complied with mods if they saw the warning.

Udun

Forum God
ELITE
Udun_
Udun_
ELITE
Ratings
887 35
if admins don't see this I cry

Udun

Forum God
ELITE
Udun_
Udun_
ELITE
Ratings
887 35
literally 3 of my 4 mutes are because I didn't see my warnings LOL

caseyclosed

Forum Expert
ELITE
caseyclosed
caseyclosed
ELITE
Ratings
518 24
yeah this happens to me cause I'll make a dumb ass joke, tab out and then come back without knowing I was warned. and then an hour later I make another dumbass joke and get a 2 hour mute

Nathanpls

Forum Expert
PATRON+
Ratings
460 21
literally 3 of my 4 mutes are because I didn't see my warnings LOL
Well you not being able to see your warnings is your fault though... just don't break the rules

trashthetic

ELITE
trashthetic
trashthetic
ELITE
Ratings
81 6
This suggestion seems like a no-brainer. Pls implement
agreed

not to mention chat flood can be at a peak at times.. and 80% of the time, moderators punish for different things because nobody follows an actual list of muteable offenses. some moderators consider things as okay, while others have a completely different opinion.

Nathanpls

Forum Expert
PATRON+
Ratings
460 21
What is flawed by that? The warn is not small as is right now.

Udun

Forum God
ELITE
Udun_
Udun_
ELITE
Ratings
887 35
Chat flood and/or if you are afk or on another tab and getting warned is an issue. I have been muted 3 times because of the fact that I didn't see a warning after caps, and I did a bit more caps, which ik is my fault, but the warn should definitely be larger.

Nathanpls

Forum Expert
PATRON+
Ratings
460 21
If you’ve been muted 3 times already for caps why do you think we should warn you at all for it if you continue? Shouldn’t you have learned your lessons by then?

Udun

Forum God
ELITE
Udun_
Udun_
ELITE
Ratings
887 35
If you’ve been muted 3 times already for caps why do you think we should warn you at all for it if you continue? Shouldn’t you have learned your lessons by then?
true, sometimes I can't help it though since I get angry sometimes, I will try to calm that :) plus the longest I have been muted was for 2 hours so I don't want it to be more so I have learned in that way

BinLicker

Forum Master
ELITE
BinLicker
BinLicker
ELITE
Ratings
482 8
It evidently is, if people are missing warnings in chat and are getting punished for not seeing the warnings rather than not listening to them is obviously an issue with size.

BinLicker

Forum Master
ELITE
BinLicker
BinLicker
ELITE
Ratings
482 8
I think that the suggestion is sound, and there is a real and valid reason for wanting it. But just don't break the rules, and there will be no reason to even be warned.
However using my own case as an example here. I had a nickname that I had been using for 2 days so I didn't think I was breaking any rules as no mods had mentioned it however I missed a warning in chat on the 3rd day and was muted for it. I would've happily changed my name but the warning was lost to chat and I wasn't aware that I was breaking any rules

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
However using my own case as an example here. I had a nickname that I had been using for 2 days so I didn't think I was breaking any rules as no mods had mentioned it however I missed a warning in chat on the 3rd day and was muted for it. I would've happily changed my name but the warning was lost to chat and I wasn't aware that I was breaking any rules
Don't get me wrong; I'm fine with this suggestion, I'm really not opposed to it. But it is not the staff's fault that you didn't see your warning, and this explanation is somewhat putting that blame on the staff. A warning, as Tiger said as well, isn't that small. Staff always give a verbal warning as well for chat-related issues, so I personally believe there is plenty of warning before a mute.

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
Usually, I would disagree with the logic of "just don't break the rules..." but the thing is staff don't use ./warn or ./mute unless they absolutely have to. I've usually seen a mod verbally warn a player. Anytime I've ever been ./warned it was AFTER being asked to stop doing whatever I was doing. Also, if you "tab out" you wouldn't even see it flash across your screen. What might be nice though is a warnings tab on the bans site, I know one of dacon's other servers has a warnings tab on the ban site. I want to say that most of the rules are common sense... but seeing as I myself have an extensive punishment history I'll leave that to people who don't have any punishments.

Edit: I also agree with the things wings said- and I have noticed how staff sometimes will not warn a player for something, but then that same said player would get in trouble for whatever they were doing... I had this happen with one of the clans I was in on aether. We were told that the name of our clan wasn't appropriate and it would have to be changed, but none of the other olympus staff had mentioned anything previously. Luckily, no one got punished... but I'd still say it's an example of this "miscommunication." I know the staff are all human and will interpret the rules slightly differently, but it shouldn't impact how they handle punishments, staff should all be on the same page to avoid these kinds of issues arising. I see this happen especially with telling the difference between hate speech and disrespect, one mod might think something is hate speech while another thinks it's simply rude/disrespectful. I can understand how it's really frustrating for everyone, but then again the easy thing to say is "just don't say anything that COULD be rude or offensive..." Quite honestly, I don't think that's really solving the issue either. Like I said earlier, all the staff should be on the same page, and the community should also be aware of what IS and ISN'T appropriate. If we do this, I'm sure it would mitigate the number of misunderstandings that occur and hopefully mean fewer mutes that could have easily been avoided with some proper communication between both parties.

Last edited:

caleb!

Dedicated Member
ELITE
imageyser
imageyser
ELITE
Ratings
251 8
Warnings given by mods should appear across your screen exactly like the "discord" pop up does. This ensures you do no miss warnings for any of the following examples: You aren't reading chat, you are building, you are concentrating on gameplay, a scrambler pushes the warning off screen, chat is typing too fast. Warning across the screen means people don't get muted for missing warnings when they would've happily complied with mods if they saw the warning.
Could you elaborate on this a little bit, please? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Where on the screen would the warn message be? (You say across, does this mean off of the chat box and instead in the middle of the "playing screen" (I don't know how to word it, but the part where you see blocks)) How long would it last? Would it go away automatically or through some action by the player? (A command, etc.)

not to mention chat flood can be at a peak at times.. and 80% of the time, moderators punish for different things because nobody follows an actual list of muteable offenses. some moderators consider things as okay, while others have a completely different opinion.
Hello, I just wanted to address this quickly. All staff follow the same "list" of muteable offenses. However, a lot of situations take experience to learn, and so newer staff might punish for something that more experienced staff would know not to punish for, or vice versa. This can lead to a disparity in punishments - I know I have made multiple mistakes, and I'm sure everyone else on the team has, as well, at one time or another.

Is this fair to players? Well, not really, but it is also hard to avoid as staff. It's hard to understand all the rules and punishments perfectly right off the bat, and even after months or years, sometimes we make a judgement others would consider incorrect for the situation. For more drastic punishments, an appeal will fix this, and if considered false, the punishment will be removed from the player's record completely.

We generally try to minimize this difference in punishments, however it cannot be fully eliminated.

BinLicker

Forum Master
ELITE
BinLicker
BinLicker
ELITE
Ratings
482 8
Don't get me wrong; I'm fine with this suggestion, I'm really not opposed to it. But it is not the staff's fault that you didn't see your warning, and this explanation is somewhat putting that blame on the staff. A warning, as Tiger said as well, isn't that small. Staff always give a verbal warning as well for chat-related issues, so I personally believe there is plenty of warning before a mute.
Staff don't always give a verbal warning for chat related in incidents. I have not said it's staff fault that people don't see the warning I am just suggesting it should be a pop up on screen so people don't miss the warning

Last edited:

BinLicker

Forum Master
ELITE
BinLicker
BinLicker
ELITE
Ratings
482 8
Could you elaborate on this a little bit, please? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Where on the screen would the warn message be? (You say across, does this mean off of the chat box and instead in the middle of the "playing screen" (I don't know how to word it, but the part where you see blocks)) How long would it last? Would it go away automatically or through some action by the player? (A command, etc.)

Hello, I just wanted to address this quickly. All staff follow the same "list" of muteable offenses. However, a lot of situations take experience to learn, and so newer staff might punish for something that more experienced staff would know not to punish for, or vice versa. This can lead to a disparity in punishments - I know I have made multiple mistakes, and I'm sure everyone else on the team has, as well, at one time or another.

Is this fair to players? Well, not really, but it is also hard to avoid as staff. It's hard to understand all the rules and punishments perfectly right off the bat, and even after months or years, sometimes we make a judgement others would consider incorrect for the situation. For more drastic punishments, an appeal will fix this, and if considered false, the punishment will be removed from the player's record completely.

We generally try to minimize this difference in punishments, however it cannot be fully eliminated.
My suggestion is that it appears exactly the same as the "join discord " pop up or the " use pack manacube" pop up. Something that pops up in the middle of your screen. The warning wouldn't last very long, I would suggest 2-3 seconds and would fade out automatically. In terms of what it should say I think " You have been warned for (reason) and then something along the lines of please change this or please be appropriate or risk being muted.