Acrellux

Forum God
ELITE
Acrellux
Acrellux
ELITE
Ratings
1,364 146
So, I will never fully agree with you on brewing stands Casey. I believe there IS a use for them, although it is limited. Brewing stands have a fairly unique property in that, while standing on a brewing stand, you are affected by the ice below you. You can effectively use this to create a jump that is like jumping off of a glass pane with ice physics. I made use of this on my map AntFarm. If you can come up with a different set of blocks that have the same effect, I will admit I am wrong. I doubt that it is possible however.
Also, when you have an L shaped wall hug jump, piston heads are a full block wide, and brewing stands aren't :)

SpiroTech

Dedicated Member
PATRON+
SpiroTech
SpiroTech
Patron+
Ratings
Also, when you have an L shaped wall hug jump, piston heads are a full block wide, and brewing stands aren't :)
No. That is not a use for a brewing stand. There are other, much better options for that scenario you described (a cross neo I think?), such as a chest or cactus.

BDOsborne

Forum Expert
Ratings
265 1
So, I will never fully agree with you on brewing stands Casey. I believe there IS a use for them, although it is limited. Brewing stands have a fairly unique property in that, while standing on a brewing stand, you are affected by the ice below you. You can effectively use this to create a jump that is like jumping off of a glass pane with ice physics. I made use of this on my map AntFarm. If you can come up with a different set of blocks that have the same effect, I will admit I am wrong. I doubt that it is possible however.
the way ice works is that its physics apply to any block within one block above the ice so a jump with the exact same hieght as the brewing stand say or a similar hit box for landing on will be a much better substitute. i did some quick expermenting and as u can see a very similar jump can be created using a head say and some strategically placed panes. obviously the head is a 2 teirs lower at .75 as opposed to .875 but this can be overlooked as the head can be placed so that it can create a shorter jump to make up for the loss of height. it looks infinitely more attractive than a brewing stand an whilst its not the exact same jump clearly it is a better option. just because there is like one really hyper specific jump doesnt mean that a brewing stand has to be used, clearly there are other options. a jump with the same height say using snow can look more in theme than a brewing stand as well and paired with ice, which should only be used to create extra mm, the extra length isnt that big of an issue as the landing can be mover a few pixels away for instance and when chaining on ice in most cases it is almost awlays necassary to chain the jump with minimal running time to reduce loss of mm meaning that when the player lands on the ice, preferably in the middle in this case they would jump straight away anyway. i hope this can make u see there are always better options than brewing stands but that being said sometimes brewing stands genuinely look ok on a map and obviously feel free to use them at your discretion. just think about the jump when you create it and what other options you have, not every jump has to be complicated and when creating appropriate parkour the colouring very important and should guide your block choices.
1612948076244.png

SpiroTech

Dedicated Member
PATRON+
SpiroTech
SpiroTech
Patron+
Ratings
the way ice works is that its physics apply to any block within one block above the ice so a jump with the exact same hieght as the brewing stand say or a similar hit box for landing on will be a much better substitute. i did some quick expermenting and as u can see a very similar jump can be created using a head say and some strategically placed panes. obviously the head is a 2 teirs lower at .75 as opposed to .875 but this can be overlooked as the head can be placed so that it can create a shorter jump to make up for the loss of height. it looks infinitely more attractive than a brewing stand an whilst its not the exact same jump clearly it is a better option. just because there is like one really hyper specific jump doesnt mean that a brewing stand has to be used, clearly there are other options. a jump with the same height say using snow can look more in theme than a brewing stand as well and paired with ice, which should only be used to create extra mm, the extra length isnt that big of an issue as the landing can be mover a few pixels away for instance and when chaining on ice in most cases it is almost awlays necassary to chain the jump with minimal running time to reduce loss of mm meaning that when the player lands on the ice, preferably in the middle in this case they would jump straight away anyway. i hope this can make u see there are always better options than brewing stands but that being said sometimes brewing stands genuinely look ok on a map and obviously feel free to use them at your discretion. just think about the jump when you create it and what other options you have, not every jump has to be complicated and when creating appropriate parkour the colouring very important and should guide your block choices. View attachment 43736
The issue with this is that I was not talking about landing on them, I was talking about jumping off of them. Also, the options you gave were, as you said, not quite the same as a brewing stand anyways. The jump I was talking about in my antfarm map would have been completely different if it was made the way you just laid out. Heads on ice with other blocks limiting landing area is a good idea though for me to keep in mind.

BDOsborne

Forum Expert
Ratings
265 1
The issue with this is that I was not talking about landing on them, I was talking about jumping off of them. Also, the options you gave were, as you said, not quite the same as a brewing stand anyways. The jump I was talking about in my antfarm map would have been completely different if it was made the way you just laid out. Heads on ice with other blocks limiting landing area is a good idea though for me to keep in mind.
you need to be really careful with starting on ice as you dont fully utilise the ice block as a good chaining block. what i mean is usually starting on a plain ice block for instance will not render you any advantages over a normal block as force momentum will land you on the edge of the block thus cancelling any potential ice momentum. landing on the middle will give you the boost but the compromise for landing in the middle will render the jump similar to just landing on the edge like a normal block. in your case the ice doesnt actually help the jump at all through utilising the mm boost, in fact it makes it a tad more tricky by the odd sprinting mechanics it has. this in itself is a unique jump which is pretty cool but the actual jump itself is the same as if you had no ice. for future reference i find it best for ice to be almost exclusively used for chaining purposes as you probably already know. i found a pane makes a very similar jump although it is 1 block higher it is .06 further away and it can be buffed by a bean as a backwall to limit the run in. i found no difficulty differences between any of them so maybe a simple pane could of looked better as the jump instead of a brewing stand. i fear the brewing stand has just become a symbol of "block vomit" in the community which isnt to far from the truth considering how they are usually used so it is best to steer clear of them for a more polished pk course, that being said your jump still was utilising both the ice and the brewing stands features which is what parkour should be about.
1613175946031.png