Guide to Making a Great Base!

Speediare

Forum Master
MVP+
Ratings
668 9
Hello there, fellow ManaCubesters! Welcome to my first guide after the ManaCube update! I wanted to make a guide about enchanting, because that would fit towards the name (more specifically, Mana), but that would be way too long of a guide, so I decided to make a guide on making a base in Survival. Not just any base, a great base! I do hope the information that follows will be some sort of use to you, and, with that, let's begin!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claiming
Before this guide truly starts, I have to talk about claiming. When you create a party (with /p create <name>), you're given the ability to claim 20 chunks of land (and 20 more for every person who joins your party). Each chunk is 16x16, and you can claim them by using /p claim. When you claim, only you and your party can interact with the land, so you don't have to worry about someone else destroying it.

Where to Build
The first thing about making a great base is where to build it. After the new update, ManaCube's Survival server ended up getting a custom map, but they still have a variety in biomes. Each biome has a certain environment and resources that could be of use to you. Forests have lots of wood; Plains have lots of flat land; Snowy biomes have, well, snow and ice (+ polar bears and rabbits); Mountains have very high terrain to look from; Jungles have giant trees, cocoa beans (used to make cookies for Hungry 1), and vines; Swamps have lilypads, trees, and vines; Mesas have a big variety of clay and trees at the top; and Deserts have cacti and the new custom temples, which have lots of loot (there are also rabbits).
Now, for the more interesting part: with the new update, you are now able to claim in the Nether and the End! The Nether has lots of lava, so you have a giant trash can. It also has quartz for easy EXP. If you're looking to easily complete the Breaker quest line, the Nether is the place to do it, because Netherrack is very, very easy to mine! (Beware, however, that PvP will always be on in the Nether, so watch out for Cheech) The End has the Ender Dragon, so if you kill that, lots of EXP, a dragon head, an elytra, and a dragon egg. If you're able to get to the outer End islands, you will have a huge supply of chorus fruit (basically, they're Ender Pearls without the damage, but it's random where you end up). Also, on the outer islands, there are End Cities, which have really OP loot, very decorative blocks,and End ships (which have potions, more OP loot, an elytra, and a dragon head). Just watch out for the Shulkers.
Wherever you decide to build, you will have resources around you. If you're not in it for the resources, just pick the place that interests you the most. You'll be satisfied either way.

The Exterior of Your Base
Now, this will be short and simple. I'm not going to tell you how to make your base exterior (the main look of it). However, I am going to tell you that you should make your base exterior anyway you want. It's your base, your choice. If you want to make a secret base, go ahead. A mansion or cabin? Be my guest. A simple house? I don't care. Just build. Use your imagination. Be creative. Besides, isn't that what Minecraft is about?

Needs for Your Base
There are a few things that SHOULD be part of your base. First, always add a door. It prevents mobs and players from getting in. If the door isn't made of oak or iron, use /lock on the door. Second, always add torches. It prevents hostile mobs from spawning in your base, and you don't want that. Third, add chests. You will have a lot of stuff and you will need somewhere to store it. Next, add a bed. If you set a bed and sleep in it, it will set your spawn point in your bed, so if you die, you don't get sent back to /spawn. However, DON'T add a bed if your base is in the Nether or End. If you try to sleep in that bed, it will explode. Next, add a crafting table and one or two furnaces. There is no crafting table around spawn (at least, I don't think there is), so you need some way to craft big items. There will be things you need to smelt, so furnaces are needed. Finally, add an anvil. Sure, anvils aren't really needed, but they are useful for combining items without losing enchants and you can add enchants.

Decorations
Here, I'm going to suggest some decorations for your base. First off, glass. You can have it either in block or pane form, but either way, you can have a nice view outside without having to go out. Next, a door that's different from oak. Why have the basic oak if there's more types? Next, banners. I don't care if you make them or you get them from someone else and I don't care what they look like, but banners can make your base interior (and even exterior) look nicer. Next, armor stands. Sure, stuff on armor stands (and item frames) can be taken from others, but you put glass (I suggest two layers) in front of them, you can protect them. They can also hold your armor or other types of armor, if you don't feel like carrying them. Next, paintings. Paintings can really make your base look nicer. Just, continue flipping through the paintings until you find the one you like (May I suggest the Donkey Kong one?) Finally, add flowers. Flowers can give that sense of nature in your house and out. If it's in your house, use a flower pot. If it's out, just place them on grass blocks with trapdoors on the sides. There are more suggestions (for example, tables), but I don't want this being too long.

Optional Stuff
There are some stuff that you don't need in your base, but if you want to add them, go ahead. First, enchanting tables do not have to be added. There is one at spawn (behind you after you use /spawn) that's easy to use. Just bring your own lapis. Second, you don't need to add an ender chest. There's two at spawn (in front on both sides of you when you use /spawn) that are really easy to use. Third, a pig spawner. Yes, I know this sounds a little weird, but you don't need to add one. There's one at spawn (just look for the "#x Piggys!" tag).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is how you can make a great base! If you believe I am missing something, please comment down below. I hope you all enjoyed this guide. If you think you have a great-looking base, I would love to see it and I'll even give my own opinion on it! (Just, don't hate my opinion. It's ok to disagree, but you don't have to get all upset about it.) Hasta la vista! (Until I see you again! [For anyone that doesn't know Spanish])

P.S. See you on Survival!! ;)

Speediare

Forum Master
MVP+
Ratings
668 9
Thanks, Ronan! :D

Briskers

Donator
Ratings
Really love this thread. Easy to read, nice use of colors.
I just started playing Survival and I'm trying to find a good place to build a new base with a nice design. :p