How ManaCube Brought Me To New York / Meeting my LDR on ManaCube

Lukius

MVP+
Lukius
Lukius
MVP+
Ratings
How I Met My Long Distance Boyfriend On ManaCube

Hey everyone. A lot of you probably don't know me, but some of you might. I used to play on ManaCube back in 2014 (when it was called Minevast) and I still hop on sometimes. This server really was like a home to me, I played on it every day as a kid, mostly on Creative and Factions - so it has a special place in my heart. Because of that, I wanted to share a cute little story with you guys.

Five years ago, I met someone on Minevast (now Manacube) completely by chance. He was on the Creative server looking for people to help him build. At first we were just friends, but we ended up skyping all the time, almost every night. Eventually we ended up dating, and I didn't think too much about it. I was 15 after all, and he was like 16. I had no idea how far it would go, and I had no concept of what a real relationship was. His ign is AJFILMS, and he's from just outside of New York City. I'm from a SUPER rural area in Canada, Nova Scotia. The distance between us was just a little over 500 miles.

After some time, I decided this was something I wanted. I dedicated a jar to saving up for a trip to New York. Keep in mind, I didn't have a passport, and I lived basically in the middle of nowhere in a relatively poor community. I also didn't have a bank account. But I've always wanted to travel, and now I had a reason to go. I ended up getting my first job at the McDonalds in town to afford the trip.

new york.jpg

The First Time Meeting
There was one problem, though. My parents wouldn't let me visit my long distance boyfriend while under their roof, because they had never met him before. They thought I was going to get kidnapped or murdered or something, which is valid. So, Anthony (AJFILMS) ended up visiting me over the summer while school was out. He convinced his parents to take a family trip to where I lived. While he was here, he ended up giving me a computer he made by hand for me, so we could play more games together. (All I had was a junky laptop.) Here's a picture of us from that visit at a gift shop in Peggy's Cove. We're about 16 here.

uscan.jpg

Going to NEW YORK CITY because of ManaCube!

After he visited, my parents were more comfortable about me travelling to see him. With the money from my new job, I paid for the trip to Halifax to register for a passport at this huge government building. Anthony and I had always talked about visiting each other for prom, ever since we first started dating. It was like a dream of ours. So about three years later, I skipped school for a couple weeks and drove to New York with my dad. (Again, my parents wanted to make sure I didn't die, so my dad went with me.) They were mad about it, but I was stubborn. I brought a prom dress that I rented from a dress shop in my hometown and we drove across the border with it.

We ended up staying in this generic Best Western hotel. Anthony showed me his childhood home, his hometown, all that jazz. Getting ready for his prom was a very surreal experience. We ended up taking a limo to a super fancy country club, where there was a pool in the shape of a cross, giant pillars of literal fire, and golden bathrooms?? It was crazy. Here's some photos:

IMG_20190430_181305.jpg

IMG_8883.JPG

After the prom, we had the impulse decision to go to the Empire State Building while we were still all dressed up. So we did. This was my first time seeing the city, and it was amazing. There was basically nobody there because of how late it was. Some guy on the street yelled out "they're gettin married!" and followed us for a bit. Some other guy was eating out of a garbage can. But I digress. Don't walk around NYC at night, kids.

IMG_20190501_014216 (1).jpg

Anyway, once that trip was over, Anthony ended up visiting me for my prom as well. It wasn't nearly as fancy as his was, and took place on an old military base. I'm 19 now and he's 20. I visit him for every Thanksgiving and over the summer, and he visits me for every March break and over whatever other break he has, usually also over the summer.

Evacuating him from the country??

The most recent trip we had was last March, where he visited me and then COVID happened. Canada completely shut down the border to the United States. We had to cut his trip short and drive him to the border, because we didn't want him to take a plane and we weren't sure if they would even let him go. We drove for about five hours and helped him take his luggage across. Here's a picture of us from that March visit (ignore the weird drawings in the background, those are mine):

20200319_143403.jpg

Moving to New York for him. Thanks, ManaCube.

Now we're genuinely talking about getting married sometime after college. I've decided to move to NY to be with him once I'm done with my degree. And it's all because of ManaCube. If this server didn't exist, we probably would never have met, and I would have never had such awesome experiences. Thank you @Dacon, and thank you to all my friends I met on this server. If we knew each other or played Minevast together all those years ago, I still think about you and miss you. Feel free to reach out, & keep in touch :)

TL;DR: I met my LDR on ManaCube almost six years ago, and I went to New York because of that & evacuated him from Canada.

Last edited:

gapplegal

SrMod | Wiki Manager
Senior Mod
gapplegal
gapplegal
Senior Mod
Ratings
298 11
This was a very sweet story
Glad that you both met by chance
<3
Gl with the future eepers
awwwwww

BuffIzzy

Dedicated Member
PATRON
BuffIzzy
BuffIzzy
Patron
Ratings
176 1
oh my GOSH!!!!!!!!!!! this is by far the CUTEST story I’ve heard from a manacube player!!! I am so happy you both met and I wish you both THE BEST for the future!!!!!!

Anacoustic

Forum Expert
ELITE
Anacoustic
Anacoustic
ELITE
Ratings
163 2
This is the most adorable thing i've ever read, i'm so happy for you and that you managed to find such love on this server absolutely melted my heart <3

rangedhealer77

Forum Legend
PATRON+
rangedhealer77
rangedhealer77
Patron+
Ratings
761 16
I am TEARING up, did you cut some onions too??? I am so happy to hear about this for you, I hope everything continues to go well <3

xplodingpeanuts

ELITE
XPlodingPeanuts
XPlodingPeanuts
ELITE
Ratings
aWWW this is sO SO CUTE! i'm genuinely in love with this story, thank you for sharing this with us:)
i remember AJFILMS (he used to spend some time with us on Oasis), and i'm so glad to hear that both of you are having a wonderful time together!! (he defs did not ask us for valentines ideas at one point ahem *cough*)
good luck with college and i hope everything goes well for the both of you <3

Udun

Forum God
ELITE
Udun_
Udun_
ELITE
Ratings
887 35
omggggg this is epic I feel so happy for y'all! <3