Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
Hello everyone!
Recently I decided to make a blog for Manacube. In this blog, I'll be discussing topics that are of interest to me relating to the server. I will also have a portion covering any other information I deem as important such as staff promotions, server resets etc. If you have any ideas, please feel free to message me on discord or the forums. Depending on what I'm discussing, I may ask for the community to pitch in. For this first blog post, I will be talking about mini-modding. Please also make sure to check out this other forum post on mini-modding! I believe people made some really good points! Why are mini mods hated so much?

Everything I talk about is personal opinions! This means that what I'm saying isn't true for everyone.
Without further ado, let's dive right in!

I know a lot of you are probably going to call me biased, as I am the definition of a mini-mod. However, before you walk away, let me tell you what I believe mini-modding is and if I feel it's beneficial to the server or not.

What I believe mini-modding is
Mini-modding is when a player pretends to be a mod and does their job for them even if they are online. Overall, it's a player who tries to enforce the rules by giving people verbal warnings and beat mods to answer in chat.

How I feel about mini-modding
Now, you might be wondering why I didn't mention answering questions. While answering questions is part of a mod's job, players are still allowed and even encouraged to answer questions especially when there's no staff online or they're busy. The only time a player should avoid answering a question is if they don't know what they're talking about, or if it's a staff-related question. It's very important that players avoid giving out false information be it intentional or unintentional.
However, something a player should avoid in all circumstances is telling players what to do. What I mean by this is when a player breaks the rules-say spamming- don't tell the player to stop spamming, or to "calm the caps." This can lead to the person arguing, and starting flame wars. Overall, it can start causing more issues than it's actually fixing. If you see a player breaking the rules, it's best to just report and ignore them.
That leads me to my next point, which is reporting players. I don't believe this counts as mini-modding because we are told to report players who are breaking the rules. After talking to different mods, I've come to one conclusion: It's okay to report people for offences, but try to keep in mind how severe the rule break is, and if it's actually causing any problems. As a mini-mod myself, I need to remind myself of this often. I often jump to conclusions, screenshotting the offence and sending it to staff before thinking about it. I honestly believe it's important that the rules are enforced, and I think that if players are tactful in how they act towards rule breakers, and how they deal with these kinds of situations they can actually help instead of harming the community.

What the community thinks

In general, what are your thoughts on mini-modding?
"I mean depends what they do. It's fine if they're helping people if there is no staff around to help them, but if there IS staff around, they should leave it up to them. Minimods should NOT try to moderate chat, even if there is no staff on. They can report it, but they shouldn't make it worse. Help is always appreciated, but use common sense!" -Sil
"Minimodding has two separate branches. The helpful branch and the useless branch. The helpful branch knows when and where to help, as well as how, and knows to stop if they see a mod responding, knows not to argue too often and knows to let the mods do their jobs, knows that sometimes, telling people off doesn't always work so its better to let the staff handle it. As for the useless branch, it's full of contradictions, ignorant players who wish to race the mods to be helpful. They're telling everyone off for the littlest of things and reporting every little thing they see, acting like they have more authority than they let off. Usually the latter is the most disliked of the server, even by staff as they make staff's job complicated and annoying." -Aurora
"Mini-modding, in my opinion, is when a player stops being a helpful member of the community and starts being an annoyance to the staff members trying to do their jobs. This may including racing staff to answer questions, interrupting staff when they’re helping someone, warning players when they haven’t broken any rule (is not familiar with the rules), etc." -kxie//lynnie
"deadass hella irritating" -Quick
"Idm/I perfer it if I'm in a high-stress situation. It actually helps someone like me who staffs(staff has mixed feelings if a person should help them but I like it). Also gives the person time to change their act before staff catch on." -Gap gap attack
"As a moderator, i appreciate it when other players help me out by reporting and answering questions when I am busy, but I feel as though there are times when a line is crossed and it gets in the way of me doing my job. For example, in the help channel once, skyblock staff were pinged and someone answered saying "how can I help" when they are not skyblock staff, and I was typing to answer." -pesto
Do you believe that mini-modding should be prohibited, and why?
"Nope. Without helpful minimods, the server would still have players be confused, always, always pinging staff, abusing commands or abusing an empty chat. Minimods help to teach new players to read the rules, and help to keep old players out of the boiling pot of punishment." -Aurora
"Yes. Based off my explanation above, mini-modding is nothing but a nuisance to the staff members and other players. Of course other’s definition of mini-modding may differ which may change the answer here. " -kxie/lynnie
"YES I DO. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING HELPFUL AND BEING A MINIMOD. IF YOU ARE CONSTANTLY REPORTING PEOPLE FOR SMALL THINGS AND BEING AN ASSHOLE WHEN YOU SAY SOMETHING SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC IN HELP CHANNELS, THAT SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED." -ILLEOID
"No but its still annoying asf" -Quick
"Na. People should be people if they wanna be people. I know they get hate but like eh they should still be able to help out if they want to." -Gap gap attack
"I don't think it should be prohibited, but I feel as though some players need to calm down a little bit in regards to how much they want to help. It just gets frustrating sometimes when 'mini-mods' get in the way of me actually moderating." -pesto

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
Hey there :D
Cool idea to start some kinda series on forums! Looking forward to see the next subject!!
It's gonna be good, don't worry.

Note to everyone: Forgot to add this to the original post, but if you are interested in providing your opinion on the next subject please message me for more info! :)

ashalee

Forum Expert
ELITE
ashalee
ashalee
ELITE
Ratings
395 5
Heya Stormy! I loved this first blog and can't wait to see more. Great work <3

- ashley<3

LaColin

MVP+
TheRealColinQCs
TheRealColinQCs
MVP+
Ratings
23 2
I find your blog very interesting and innovating. I really liked it, I read the whole of it and I believe you are such an active person on Manacube and you will have a great success on blogs. Keep doing this great work. I totally support you and I would also love to discuss general stuff with you!

Sincerely yours, Colin

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
Thank you so much for all the wonderful support!! I'm glad that you enjoyed my first blog. I'm hoping to post another episode maybe over the weekend or next week. The next topic I'll be discussing is paid unbans/mutes, so if you want to share ur opinion with the community (within reason) please message me via the forums or discord. Please just make sure that your responses follow the Manacube guidelines because I had some nasty responses in the making of this blog.
In other words... just make sure your responses are appropriate, I'll be the one judging what is and isn't appropriate because it's my blog. Of course, staff have the final say in this!

LaColin

MVP+
TheRealColinQCs
TheRealColinQCs
MVP+
Ratings
23 2
Thank you so much for all the wonderful support!! I'm glad that you enjoyed my first blog. I'm hoping to post another episode maybe over the weekend or next week. The next topic I'll be discussing is paid unbans/mutes, so if you want to share ur opinion with the community (within reason) please message me via the forums or discord. Please just make sure that your responses follow the Manacube guidelines because I had some nasty responses in the making of this blog.
In other words... just make sure your responses are appropriate, I'll be the one judging what is and isn't appropriate because it's my blog. Of course, staff have the final say in this![/QUOTE
I personally thing my responses are always appropriate. I'm a person that dislikes inappropriate language, immaturity, irony and offensive behaviour. I love supporting people with a goal, that they get good main ideas and build a whole line behind it!

-Colin-

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
I personally thing my responses are always appropriate. I'm a person that dislikes inappropriate language, immaturity, irony and offensive behaviour. I love supporting people with a goal, that they get good main ideas and build a whole line behind it!

-Colin-
There are lots of good players out there, and I think that's what's great about Manacube- the community. I wanna say that the reason I mini-mod (despite my perm mute) is to try and protect the community. I'm also just that person who argues with everyone, will say what's on my mind, and protect the people I care about the most at all costs. I have been working on trying to change, focus on my mental health and well being instead of trying to always look out for others.
I also believe that part of the reason I "mini-mod" is to make up for all my past mistakes because the messed up part of me thinks that if I report all the rule-breakers on Manacube, the staff will love me more or respect me more. But I'm starting to realize that isn't the case. Love and respect is something that has to be earned. In the past, I've been rude and disrespectful. I've never had anything against the staff, but my actions said otherwise...
Well, I just realized that I went on a somewhat unrelated rant, my point is that my "snitching" and "mini-modding" is done with good intentions to try and help keep the community safe, bring justice and a sense of peace for myself. Though, reflecting on all the reports I've made and the number of people I've "snitched" on... I don't feel any better about myself, and I don't think my standing in the community is any better than it was before. Something to think about.

LaColin

MVP+
TheRealColinQCs
TheRealColinQCs
MVP+
Ratings
23 2
There are lots of good players out there, and I think that's what's great about Manacube- the community. I wanna say that the reason I mini-mod (despite my perm mute) is to try and protect the community. I'm also just that person who argues with everyone, will say what's on my mind, and protect the people I care about the most at all costs. I have been working on trying to change, focus on my mental health and well being instead of trying to always look out for others.
I also believe that part of the reason I "mini-mod" is to make up for all my past mistakes because the messed up part of me thinks that if I report all the rule-breakers on Manacube, the staff will love me more or respect me more. But I'm starting to realize that isn't the case. Love and respect is something that has to be earned. In the past, I've been rude and disrespectful. I've never had anything against the staff, but my actions said otherwise...
Well, I just realized that I went on a somewhat unrelated rant, my point is that my "snitching" and "mini-modding" is done with good intentions to try and help keep the community safe, bring justice and a sense of peace for myself. Though, reflecting on all the reports I've made and the number of people I've "snitched" on... I don't feel any better about myself, and I don't think my standing in the community is any better than it was before. Something to think about.
"People respect people that respect people". I know many will say my opinion is wrong but since I'm a bit older I wanna give you an advise. I have been to your place before. I have been young and stupid. When I used to play games, many years ago, I was raging alot and right now I don't understand why I had such a character against others. Success of negativity is more negativity. You wanna help people you love and you care about, I respect that, but helping your loving one's doesn't mean to offend everyone else. There's a huge difference from being a good debater and a person trying to protect someone. Always respect people around you, no matter what. Respect your enemy and treat him like a friend. This is the way when you will also be respected. I have been working on character developing for some years and the first character I developed was myself. I appreciate your mistakes because this is the only way for you to improve. You seem to be a nice person. Anything you want, I'll be here next to you. Keep being polite and people who worth to be with you, they will also be polite

-Colin-

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
I found this thread really entertaining and well written!
I do have a couple of questions though for you Stormy.
1. Why do you like/feel the need to MiniMod ?
2. Your definition includes interrupting mods but within your explanation of how you yourself MiniMod you don’t interrupt staff, do you see this as a important distinction?

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
I found this thread really entertaining and well written!
I do have a couple of questions though for you Stormy.
1. Why do you like/feel the need to MiniMod ?
2. Your definition includes interrupting mods but within your explanation of how you yourself MiniMod you don’t interrupt staff, do you see this as a important distinction?
1. As previously mentioned, I have this deep down need/desire to protect the community. But it also runs deeper than that... as you know I have extensive history on Manacube. Part of me believes that doing all of this will help make up for all my past mistakes, even though it's good behaviour and change that makes up for it.

2. I'm not really sure what you're getting at, but I'll try my best to answer to the best of my ability. I think as other players have mentioned there are two different "types" of mini mods. I feel that most mini mods are just trying to help. However, there's definitely a difference between being helpful, and just interrupting. In general, I think that the most important thing with mini-modding is that you're being helpful, and not just a pain in the ass. Communicating with the staff and making sure both parties are on the same page might be beneficial, I've done this a couple of times before.

I hope this answers your questions, let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

kxe

Forum Legend
ELITE
kxrose
kxrose
ELITE
Ratings
877 6
It's gonna be good, don't worry.

Note to everyone: Forgot to add this to the original post, but if you are interested in providing your opinion on the next subject please message me for more info! :)
of course :> send me the link for the next one for sure

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
of course :> send me the link for the next one for sure
I won't be doing it as a google form this time because last time I did a google form I got inappropriate responses. Noah suggested I ask on the forums, so then no one will try pulling any funny business. The only thing is I don't want people to see the responses until the blog has been released. Unfortunately, I may have to stick to asking only people I trust because I don't wanna deal with people putting inappropriate responses in.
It's just really frustrating because I did put a good amount of work and effort into the blog and people are just over here not taking it seriously. Someone also impersonated another user and left some nasty inappropriate things. I didn't know at first, so I confronted the user and it turns out that it wasn't them. They did leave a response, but it wasn't the inappropriate stuff.

kxe

Forum Legend
ELITE
kxrose
kxrose
ELITE
Ratings
877 6
I won't be doing it as a google form this time because last time I did a google form I got inappropriate responses. Noah suggested I ask on the forums, so then no one will try pulling any funny business. The only thing is I don't want people to see the responses until the blog has been released. Unfortunately, I may have to stick to asking only people I trust because I don't wanna deal with people putting inappropriate responses in.
It's just really frustrating because I did put a good amount of work and effort into the blog and people are just over here not taking it seriously. Someone also impersonated another user and left some nasty inappropriate things. I didn't know at first, so I confronted the user and it turns out that it wasn't them. They did leave a response, but it wasn't the inappropriate stuff.
understandable, i’ll definitely still participate though :>