Mik

Forum Expert
ELITE
mtb130
mtb130
ELITE
Ratings
193 36
As most players of skyblock/survival know at the current state of both games minions are very inefficient and utterly useless. With mana being the MOST important resource in the game to progress your island upgrades and there being other money sources that can easily make more money without using mana for minions, the minions are in need of drastic changes and reworks.

Testing
I recently did testing on both miner and farming minions on Aztec Skyblock to see how many items it generated, and how much profit it received. In each minion I put 1k mana and let is run until the mana ran out. I used no minion upgrades and all minions were level 1. Also wanted to say that there was problems with the server crashing during the experiment. I do not believe it effected the results but just felt like I should mention it.

Farmer Minion
-Wheat 726 Harvest. Sold for $217,800
-Pumpkin 1,189 Harvest. Sold for $208,075
-Scane 1534 Harvest. Sold for $199,420
-Potato 2279 Harvest. Sold for $227,900
-Carrot 2174 Harvest. Sold for $217,400
-Cocoa Beans 2858 Harvest. Sold for $214,350

Miner Minion
-Coal 6213 Mined. Sold for $248,520
-Iron 3188 Mined. Sold for $238,875
-Lapis 1903 Mined. Sold for $237,875
-Gold Mined 878 Mined. Sold for $237,060
-Diamond 466 Mined. Sold for $233,000
-Emerald 315 Mined. Sold for $236,250

As you can see the current state of minions is 1k mana for around 200k for the farmer minion and 230k for the miner minion. This was passed in the first week of both skyblock and survival making the minions not worth using for the rest of the long season.

My Ideas for a minion revamp
Firstly Minions would now run on a new item "Minion fuel" instead of mana.
- Minion fuel can be obtained similar to the minion upgrades we currently have. They would have a drop chance just like the minion upgrades in slayer regions (or slightly more common, would need testing), You can get them in /vote crates, from ancient, and legendary keys, and by completing solo and island/party quests.
- Each fuel would last 5mins and be stackable up to 64 (320 minutes/ around 5 hours) in a minion.
There will be different types of minions.

1) Mana minions
- Mana minions would produce 1k mana in 30 minutes (this is based off of minor calculations and would again need further testing). Mana minions would use minion fuel as a fuel source. This would mean that in a day, with full minion fuel a mana minion would make 48k mana. This may seem like a lot but it would also require 288 minion fuels which will not be easy to get.

2) Money minions
-Money minions will produce 10k x your island/party level every 2 hours. (Note this is the same formula for island/party levels so a minion will be producing 1 is/p level every 2 hours). Money minions would again use minion fuel as a fuel source. If continuously running and upgrading you island level you can get 12 levels per day. Again this may seem like a lot but it would also require 288 minion fuels which will not be easy to get.

3) Slayer minions
-Slayer minions will produce 4 stacks of heads every 30m (Based on the mana minion produce). Slayer minions would again use minion fuel as a fuel source. This would mean that in a day you would recieve 12,288 heads. Please keep in mind that as this sounds like a lot but again 288 minion fuels isn't something every person on the server will have to fuel their minions every day.

Other Changes
- Magic, efficiency and energy orbs would be turned into an orb for each minion that doubles their speed for 5mins (Mana minion energy, Slayer minion energy, etc.)

I think that the only way to every make minions a viable source of any income is to completely revamp them. We saw Dacon make a 35% reduction to the mana cost but these numbers were after that change. Even with greater mana reductions minions will never remain as a steady source of income for players and seasons progress. Feel free to put your own suggestions and changes about minions in the comments and I will be sure to look at them and add it here if I like it :D Ty for taking your time and reading this

Last edited:

SSM_GOD

Forum Legend
Ratings
1,891 47
I like all the research you have done and the ideas proposed. I agree that minions need fixing and should have never been had a mana cost.
On Olympus, you just feeds them and they slave for you. It kind of makes me believe this new system is a desperate attempt to get people to purchase mana from webstore for only a price the queen of england could pay.

I think that with some tweaking your minion idears would be awesome to have in ze game.

Mr. Mikey, did you typo?! I can not believe this "330k for the miner minion". Uh uh! Looks to me like 230k! You must have some secret contract with the NMMMMA (National ManaCube Miniature Miner Minion Association) where you get payed to make them look better! I'm on to you! >:{

ssnek_

ELITE
ssnek_
ssnek_
ELITE
Ratings
26 1
Great post! We definitely need more discussion on minions.

I like your suggested minion ideas because those would more properly scale with a server's advancing economy and the party's resources.

staviette

ELITE
Ratings
I agree with most of this. The minions have been useless since day 1. 1k mana on aztec goes for as much as 35mil. Trading that mana for a few thousand worth of wheat would be silly.

Mana minions sound like a great idea. I think it might be a little too powerful, depending on how hard that fuel is to get.

Money generating minions tied to island level would be awesome and might work out.

The slayer minion generating heads I think would be pointless - the only reason heads have much value beyond unlocking slayer is you can trade them in for mana through /kilton. So they'd still be kind of pointless.

If they could cost XP to run that would be nice - with many of the custom enchants disabled XP doesn't have a ton of value and it would be nice to give it some. Would give some more use to the millions of bottles o' enchanting floating around.

warlord9120

Forum Expert
ELITE
Warlord9120
Warlord9120
ELITE
Ratings
485 23
I completely agree with you. Minions do need some attention. I was thinking about some sort of item a while ago but never made a suggestion about it. Really good work!

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
With the current economy mana is always needed for alt islands to create more grinders to get more money. I don't think mana will ever be "useless",
Sorry lazy suggestion that it might be useless I think other custom items/currency for minions would be cool but I think it might decrease the usefulness of Mana in general. I think perhaps a rebalancing of mana in relation to the relative price like you talked about is also a really valid idea without introducing another currency/item. In saying all this I still really love the idea.