Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Hey Everyone,

I have a cool question for the people on the forums again and its about what makes a good moderator in the eyes of the community. What moderating is and how I view it has changed drastically since I became one myself from view. For me understanding the rules and appeal process to a deeper degree has really changed how I view moderating. Another part of this is being busier and exposed to a part of the player base on Manacube when I was just a player.

So what I really want to know is, What makes a good moderator? Keen to hear everyones thoughts and having discussion about it. As always feel free to ask questions of me about anything and I'll do my best to answer them.

Rap

DylanB_666

Dedicated Member
ELITE
DylanB_666
DylanB_666
ELITE
Ratings
72 4
i just see someone as that talks with the community alot, whether that is on minecraft discord or forums, if they communicate wiht the community that is a great thing but obviously not all that matters. If you are quick to reply to things such as helpop or reports in game thats a great thing, even if it doesnt lead to a good or definite answer for the person its good to be answered as you know you not being ignored. someone thats nice and does best to enforce rules without seeming rude in the process. i think your a good mod, i havent even seen u on mc much at all, but seeing u active on discord and helping alot on there gives me the impression that your great. This is just my first thoughts that come to my head when seeing this, this is just coming from my viewpoint, because im sure there are alot more views from all sorts of people from the community.

BinLicker

Forum Master
ELITE
BinLicker
BinLicker
ELITE
Ratings
481 8
What makes a good mod? A good mod is someone who is caring for their server and also the other servers that they don't main on. They have to be understanding and compassionate, they need to be willing to invest lots of effort and time into the server and be efficient in the tasks they are handed. Communication is key with the community and mods need to be open to suggestions and each have the ability to make changes. They need to be friendly (which they all are) and still need to be stern and forceful in their decisions. Mods should be confident. To be honest all the mods are all of these things and that's why they all are good mods. Have a lovely rest of your day
- Bin

Last edited:

SSM_GOD

Forum Legend
Ratings
1,890 47
I think a good mod is someone who goes above and beyond what their duties are. I'd expect all mods and staff to be active *cough*, responsive, friendly like family. But a good mod would be someone who you can feel connected to, like your cool cousin. Someone who does more than what is asked. For example, when they see a good suggestion, they work with the person who suggested it to improve it and work to get it added instead of just forwarding it. A good mod says, and means it when they say, sorry. A good mod listens to the community and takes consideration from everyone's thoughts.
Not doing this wouldn't make you bad, just makes you, average.

Emee

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Emeenem
Emeenem
ELITE
Ratings
Apart from like the obvious (active, know the rules on a thorough level), coming from a player's POV a mod would also need to provide great hospitality towards players. Be mature enough and likeable enough at the same time so no players have any alienated feelings. Of course, likeability is somewhat subjective, and everyone has their own charm that makes them likeable in their unique way. But regardless, great mods are ones that are able to keep the environment of the server calm and chill, have enough patience to control any situation from getting out of hand, and are willing to sacrifice any bit of comfort and humility to give guidance the best they can to anyone and everyone.

awesomeboy__

Forum Expert
PATRON
awesomeboy__
awesomeboy__
Patron
Ratings
241 9
Main three:

- Listens to players and their suggestions and doesn't completely disregard them, good communication between the staff member and the player.
- Admits they're wrong when they make a mistake, apologize, move on. No players enjoyed being lied to repetitively by a staff member, it just damages the reputation of the server and the staff member itself.
- Be active and respectful

LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
I actually wanna talk about both things in this post so imma do that real quick.

Server Reset Thoughts:
I am personally stuck between creative and skyblock for which server I feel should get a reset/revamp next. My reasoning behind this is that 1.16 brings so many blocks and overall game updates that creative needs. 1.13.2 is a nice version for building but other creative servers have already transitioned to 1.16. This puts us behind possible competition. However, skyblock has a much larger player base and has leader boards. Creative can still be playable and enjoyable in it's current state (to an extent) while skyblock will eventually get to the point where it feels as if there is no point to playing competitively. Also, since skyblock is not well... in creative mode... it has a lot more opportunities for income. Now if we factor in my personal bias- I'd say reset creative first hehe

What Makes a Good Staff:
I am using the word staff because we have many ranks that some might not pile in with moderator. A lot of what I say about this will come from personal bias and experience within being a player and staffing- not only on the manacube platforms either. I truly think that those who are willing to be responsive and a friendly face, even to those who don't return the postive attitude, is a great first step in being a good moderator. With this being said, staff who set their own boundaries are amazing. Staff love to reach out and help players but we are human and they need to recognize that. A good, well rounded staff will not allow themselves to get burnt out extremely fast or allow players to push their limits. Finding that sweet balance between friend and staff, it can be more difficult than some assume.

caleb!

Dedicated Member
ELITE
imageyser
imageyser
ELITE
Ratings
251 8
I won't answer the question about what makes a good moderator here because I agree almost entirely with both Dylan's and Kayla's posts. However, I would like to delve into which servers I believe should reset/reboot & in which order:

1. KitPvP

I believe resetting KitPvP first would be the smartest business move. KitPvP has been on the same season for just over a year now. It has a relatively large community and I believe a reset would bring some players back and some new players as well. I would also suggest adding elite crates, etc. to possibly get some more money out of this gamemode.

2. Islands

Islands has been on Season 5 for even longer than KitPvP has been on season 10. The only reason they are not above Kit in this list is because they have a smaller playerbase and the difference in length of seasons is only a month or so. That being said, a revamp could still boost the total players & thus, boost the sales. I don't know too much about this gamemode so I can't make specific suggestions.

3. Skyblock

Skyblock has been on the same season for 9 months and, as Kayla mentioned above, it does get boring after a while. This community is very large and a new season would bring on a lot of sales. It might make more sense to reset this gamemode before the other two for monetary gain, but I feel like it's important to keep players interested in all areas of the server. Once again, I don't have much experience with this gamemode so I can't make specific suggestions.

4. Creative

I ramble here a lot even though the question didn't ask what I wanted to see in a revamp, just if I thought it should have one. Tl;dr of the bullets is I would like to see creative crates, bug fixes, a server update to a more recent version, and custom flatworlds (although this is impractical currently).

Creative has been on the same version for a year and a half. As Kayla mentioned, competitors are moving up and if Manacube doesn't switch versions soon I fear that the gamemode might be removed. Here are some things I'd like to see added:

- Crates: I realize this would require a new plugin which takes work, but the absence of crates & other ways of generating income is putting this gamemode at risk. The only thing that's selling is ranks, and most people won't even get Elite because the only perks are a bold nick & the ability to change the Elite prefix, in addition to shouts. Coupled with the small playerbase, I fear that it is bringing in less money than it takes to keep it running and that it might suffer a similar fate as the Death Run bee server.
- General Bug Fixes: The Creative server is riddled with bugs, and it's understandable that these have less priority than other servers with more players. However, serious builders have said building on Manacube is more annoying than relaxing due to all of these glitches. They are going to other servers for this reason.
- Server Update: I'd love to see the server update to at least 1.14.4 for all of the blocks people most commonly ask about, like lanterns, different signs, different slabs/stairs, etc. or preferably 1.16.5 or whatever the most recent update is. I included brief reasoning for this above, but if competitors are updating and we aren't, there will be fewer and fewer players coming to Manacube Creative due to the lack of pull factors.
- Custom Worlds for A+, Megaplots switched to an A- or A feature: I realize this is probably impractical for the near future as Creative almost definitely doesn't make enough money for this, but if crates, etc. are added, I'd love to see this in a couple years. A server I'll call BR has these for members, and they are a huge pull factor for professional builders. Basically, you can have custom flatworlds, download them, etc. Players can make commission builds here & maps for different servers. I believe this would draw more experienced builders into the community & keep "normal" builders here for longer, instead of either leaving Creative for a different Manacube gamemode or transitioning more to BR.
- Build Battles: I would love to see build battles functioning. This is a really popular minigame on larger servers and it could draw another audience into Creative.

5. Survival

Survival has a large playerbase and deserves an update eventually. They've just gotten the most recent one, save Factions & Olympus' next one, so that's why they are lower on this list. I don't know too much about the server so I can't give my opinion on that.

6. Parkour

Parkour got a pretty significant update this autumn, so I don't necessarily think they need a new one. If the community wants a reset of all stats, they could do that at pretty much any time tbh as I doubt it would take as much effort as a complete revamp. There are plenty of ideas across the forums for any future updates, so I don't think my input would necessarily add anything new.

Last edited:

Katiekanji

PATRON
Katiekana
Katiekana
Patron
Ratings
21 1
Revamp server: I think that islands is due for a change because every time I go on it, it has less people playing than other servers like creative. I think it just needs to appeal to more people.
What makes a good staff: I personally have not had great experiences with a majority of the staff. I think my friend (won’t name names) said one of the main issues best, Atleast for survival, the staff seem to have a “guilty until proven innocent” strategy rather than “innocent until proven guilty” which is quite frustrating for a lot of people and it would be nice to see staff reach out to players to see their side for serious issues or even just telling them why and what is making the ban, mute, etc. possible. Anyways, to broaden the question to all staff and not just survival, a good staff member is someone who isn’t afraid to speak up to the rest of the team if you think a treatment was unfair, someone who is there for the community and is fairly active, not just on the discord or forums, but in game as well, I think player interaction is a good way to connect. Furthermore, someone who looks at issues from both sides and does what is truly best, rather than just giving a punishment to get it over with, etc. It really is about communication and caring for the community as a whole. Also, staying true to yourself even when you have the authority; I say this because almost every person I’ve talked to agrees that once a member becomes staff, they “change” meaning they aren’t as active anymore, don’t communicate as much, and sometimes they let the power, as dumb as it may sound, get to their head. Power/authority can go to a person’s head, even if it is just a Minecraft server lol.

IPenguinI

Forum Master
ELITE
IPenguinI
IPenguinI
ELITE
Ratings
502 57
Definitely KitPvP for the revamp.

What makes a good moderator/staff to me is based on a few things. Mainly I like staff who are active and online often. Like others have said someone who doesn't take the staff role as a power thing, but someone whos genuine and there to help. The staff who are envolved in the community and who reach out to people.

blspyro

PATRON
PyRo_The_Panda
PyRo_The_Panda
Patron
Ratings
28 1
Good staff would be panda's that eat burrito's all day. Until this first part is met, it is not possible to further answer this question and I believe it is crucial this problem is addressed. The lack of panda's as staff is disturbing.

Slime_Lord101

Forum Expert
PATRON+
Slime_Lord101
Slime_Lord101
Patron+
Ratings
271 3
Reset:

You know right away I have to say Skyblock. There aren’t too many particular reasons, but like many other people have said, like a few gamemodes, it’s due a reset. Skyblock, with how it is setup and how the community and economy has grown and transformed over the last few seasons, it has changed how seasons last and how they work out. Players are more competitive now, and in a competitive environment like this, people strive to be the best and control the economy. It only takes a small group to change virtually everything.

In short, with all these transformations, the gamemode is created to withstand 5-6 months of full activity. After that, people start to lose interest. In fact, people start losing interest before that. With how it currently is, 3-4 months in, the top places are set and rarely will change around, unless they lose interest and give up, but usually that doesn’t change too much.

From hearing many many times from players for the last 3-4 months, it’s become boring and tedious. Some players in between then have quit, some have switched from Aztec to Oasis or vise-versa to try to start over or compete in other areas to re-ignite the spark of playing again. From personal experience I can speak that I did exactly that.

Being a Good Staff Member:

Like Kayla said, I’m going to say it in a general sense due to their being many roles in the staff team rather than just mods. Also, I speak from personal experience in both sectors, being a player and being a staff. Not just on ManaCube but throughout the years I’ve had experiences owning servers, being in management, being staff, and just playing to have fun with friends or compete to be the best. In all, I’ve seen a lot of things which could have been done better or experienced things I could have done better, learning from those experiences and turning them into a good guide to follow. So without writing this any further, what makes a good staff member?

I believe there are many skills that can be used to a staffs advantage, but also some basics which are very important and stand out quite well in doing them. Dedication/activity, patience, honestly & transparency (where applicable, not everything can be shared of course), experiences, open-mindedness, know how to act appropriately, be a friendly face and be caring, and many more.

Being dedicated and being active are two very important things when doing anything truly. You need to be dedicated but you also need to show it by being active. A staff member needs to believe in the server, the team, and the players. Going above and beyond what is required just to show how much they care and actually meaning it in the process, doing it the right way as well, not taking shortcuts trying to get to the top.

Having patience while talking with players, dealing with reports or helpops, or dealing with tickets. Sometimes whether in-game, on discord, or on forums, as a staff member you will have to have patience and wait, not everybody responds at a fast pace, and some people may be new to how the systems work, they may not understand how certain things work so they could be confused how to respond or how to do certain things. In any event, a staff member needs to be able to take the time required to finish helping the player, while caring. Taking the extra step to connect with them afterwards is appreciated by players as well, comforting them in a sort so they know you actually care.

Being honest and transparent with the community. Though, yes, as we all know not everything is open to everybody. But, it is important to be open where we can be. An example of this is the bans page, all players can go and view punishments of players whether they are bans, mute, or kicks. You’ll notice warns and other information isn’t publicly displayed there, but there are reasons for that. Honesty is key, lying to players doesn’t solve anything and in fact, it can make things a lot worse for both the player and the staff member.

Experience. This is touch and go, we all learn from our mistakes so truly we are experiencing change in everything we do. Whether we have past experience, in-game or real-life, or it is our first time, we are taking the steps to use the knowledge we learn and apply it where we can correctly. Knowing when you’ve made a mistake and owning up to it, sincerely apologizing and correcting it is also very important.

Being open minded about others opinions, suggestions, ideas, etc. is also important. As staff, you likely will encounter this daily, as you will most of these, but being able to read, understand, and accept others opinions is needed to grow. Being able to listen through criticism, taking suggestions, and become better from it. When somebody suggests something, go beyond and talk about it with them and others, build that idea up and make it into a solid plausible idea.

Knowing how to act appropriately. This can be in a general sense of how you speak or talk to people but also how you approach a situation, how you deal with things, and how you treat others. Acting appropriately and professionally is an important factor, being friendly is good but not losing site of what your job is. Knowing how to properly approach a situation and not being offensive while doing it, being appropriate and respectful while trying to help others. Doing your best to respond as quick as possible when you are able to.

You can’t expect others to listen to you if you don’t act reasonable and responsible, you can’t get mad if you do something and then somebody else does it and punish them for it. You need to be able to be that good example. Adding on to that all, you also need to treat everybody fairly. Just because you are friends with the player or you are close, doesn’t mean the rules are bent in their favor. I’ve had experiences with this, and though sometimes it can be hard and at times, ruin friendships, the rules are meant to be followed. As a staff you can’t expect everybody to follow the rules if you are letting your friends slide by.

In some places, if you ask somebody what staff do or what they think they should do, they’ll say that they are the people who come on, take care of the problem, and then leave. Being staff is much more than that and some people just refuse to believe it. As a staff, you engage with the players and get to know them. You create a strong connection with them which can help you as a staff member and the server, bringing new people and more suggestions in. The place as a staff is, yes, to protect the server but it’s also about having fun while doing it.

Important to note this isn’t everything, there is a lot more that can be added about being a good staff member, these are the main few I’ve had experiences with. Being a staff member more than just being somebody that players rely on to punish cheaters and “watch over the server”, it’s about being involved with the community.

Nxight

PATRON
nxight
nxight
Patron
Ratings
Reset:
obviously, surv it should be rest more often in my opinion, and what it does the staff should listen to what we want, not just add new random things.

Good staff:
In my (honestly very biased opinion) What I believe makes a good staff member aside from the obvious things like knowing the rules, being active and moderating chat, is listening to what we as the players want. I am aware a lot of things are out of most staff's control, but when staff randomly start muting people without much reason it can get under people's skin. I also believe that staff should be very transparent with everything they do, which in my experience I do not see much. But that is just one man's honest opinion.​

Last edited:

DylanB_666

Dedicated Member
ELITE
DylanB_666
DylanB_666
ELITE
Ratings
72 4
Reset:

You know right away I have to say Skyblock. There aren’t too many particular reasons, but like many other people have said, like a few gamemodes, it’s due a reset. Skyblock, with how it is setup and how the community and economy has grown and transformed over the last few seasons, it has changed how seasons last and how they work out. Players are more competitive now, and in a competitive environment like this, people strive to be the best and control the economy. It only takes a small group to change virtually everything.

In short, with all these transformations, the gamemode is created to withstand 5-6 months of full activity. After that, people start to lose interest. In fact, people start losing interest before that. With how it currently is, 3-4 months in, the top places are set and rarely will change around, unless they lose interest and give up, but usually that doesn’t change too much.

From hearing many many times from players for the last 3-4 months, it’s become boring and tedious. Some players in between then have quit, some have switched from Aztec to Oasis or vise-versa to try to start over or compete in other areas to re-ignite the spark of playing again. From personal experience I can speak that I did exactly that.

Being a Good Staff Member:

Like Kayla said, I’m going to say it in a general sense due to their being many roles in the staff team rather than just mods. Also, I speak from personal experience in both sectors, being a player and being a staff. Not just on ManaCube but throughout the years I’ve had experiences owning servers, being in management, being staff, and just playing to have fun with friends or compete to be the best. In all, I’ve seen a lot of things which could have been done better or experienced things I could have done better, learning from those experiences and turning them into a good guide to follow. So without writing this any further, what makes a good staff member?

I believe there are many skills that can be used to a staffs advantage, but also some basics which are very important and stand out quite well in doing them. Dedication/activity, patience, honestly & transparency (where applicable, not everything can be shared of course), experiences, open-mindedness, know how to act appropriately, be a friendly face and be caring, and many more.

Being dedicated and being active are two very important things when doing anything truly. You need to be dedicated but you also need to show it by being active. A staff member needs to believe in the server, the team, and the players. Going above and beyond what is required just to show how much they care and actually meaning it in the process, doing it the right way as well, not taking shortcuts trying to get to the top.

Having patience while talking with players, dealing with reports or helpops, or dealing with tickets. Sometimes whether in-game, on discord, or on forums, as a staff member you will have to have patience and wait, not everybody responds at a fast pace, and some people may be new to how the systems work, they may not understand how certain things work so they could be confused how to respond or how to do certain things. In any event, a staff member needs to be able to take the time required to finish helping the player, while caring. Taking the extra step to connect with them afterwards is appreciated by players as well, comforting them in a sort so they know you actually care.

Being honest and transparent with the community. Though, yes, as we all know not everything is open to everybody. But, it is important to be open where we can be. An example of this is the bans page, all players can go and view punishments of players whether they are bans, mute, or kicks. You’ll notice warns and other information isn’t publicly displayed there, but there are reasons for that. Honesty is key, lying to players doesn’t solve anything and in fact, it can make things a lot worse for both the player and the staff member.

Experience. This is touch and go, we all learn from our mistakes so truly we are experiencing change in everything we do. Whether we have past experience, in-game or real-life, or it is our first time, we are taking the steps to use the knowledge we learn and apply it where we can correctly. Knowing when you’ve made a mistake and owning up to it, sincerely apologizing and correcting it is also very important.

Being open minded about others opinions, suggestions, ideas, etc. is also important. As staff, you likely will encounter this daily, as you will most of these, but being able to read, understand, and accept others opinions is needed to grow. Being able to listen through criticism, taking suggestions, and become better from it. When somebody suggests something, go beyond and talk about it with them and others, build that idea up and make it into a solid plausible idea.

Knowing how to act appropriately. This can be in a general sense of how you speak or talk to people but also how you approach a situation, how you deal with things, and how you treat others. Acting appropriately and professionally is an important factor, being friendly is good but not losing site of what your job is. Knowing how to properly approach a situation and not being offensive while doing it, being appropriate and respectful while trying to help others. Doing your best to respond as quick as possible when you are able to.

You can’t expect others to listen to you if you don’t act reasonable and responsible, you can’t get mad if you do something and then somebody else does it and punish them for it. You need to be able to be that good example. Adding on to that all, you also need to treat everybody fairly. Just because you are friends with the player or you are close, doesn’t mean the rules are bent in their favor. I’ve had experiences with this, and though sometimes it can be hard and at times, ruin friendships, the rules are meant to be followed. As a staff you can’t expect everybody to follow the rules if you are letting your friends slide by.

In some places, if you ask somebody what staff do or what they think they should do, they’ll say that they are the people who come on, take care of the problem, and then leave. Being staff is much more than that and some people just refuse to believe it. As a staff, you engage with the players and get to know them. You create a strong connection with them which can help you as a staff member and the server, bringing new people and more suggestions in. The place as a staff is, yes, to protect the server but it’s also about having fun while doing it.

Important to note this isn’t everything, there is a lot more that can be added about being a good staff member, these are the main few I’ve had experiences with. Being a staff member more than just being somebody that players rely on to punish cheaters and “watch over the server”, it’s about being involved with the community.
Imma be honest, I'm too lazy to read this

Tytler

PATRON+
Tytler
Tytler
Patron+
Ratings
I'm going to be honest, I do feel like every staff should at least consider every side of the story if it is more of a "complex" situation, as a certain one thats happened on survival not too long ago, I'm not going to name the situation as I'm not involved with it, but I feel like (iykyk) that would be a perfect example to see both sides as where one of the punishments could have not been involved with what it looks like. In those types of situations, yes there can be appeals involved, but I seriously believe that if there was communication on that specific judgment in the situation, there wouldn't be this betrayal feeling a lot of survival players are feeling at the moment and it would've saved more time than dealing with an appeal. But only should there be a visual on both sides if its necessary or more complex than just someone having video proof of someone xraying. A good staff member I feel like should have a load of patience, and expect a LOT of people having high standards and not taking it personal, and that they should prepare themselves for that right from the start. (Honestly its a little disappointing how high the standards are when someone becomes a helper, which im sorry you staff members have to deal with). Another thing i would think would be best for someone who wants to apply is, ask other staff what its like being "on the field" of being a staff member, so then the person really takes in on what it takes to become one and what to expect. Its certainly not an easy job as every staff member has made a mistake some time down the road. And when you come to making that mistake you should own up to it, because us as a community looks at that and when you own up to a mistake it shows us you're honest and that you plan on doing your best to learn from it, rather than pushing it off and saying "eh stuff happens". I've been apart of the community for 3 years (4 this September) and ive seen quite a lot of people become staff, some I feel like weren't mature or ready enough at the moment but they changed and adapted for the better. Some changed in a way that wasn't so well. I know my essay goes all over the place and is probably hard to read and understand. In the end, honestly, I think a really good staff member is someone who doesn't look at it as a job or a chore, or as a responsibility, but as a hobby, something they enjoy to do, because the moment they do it as something they want to do, is the moment they have fun doing it, where you can see they try their best everyday that they come on. Its also when the community notices them and has a feeling of joy when they come on. Even though I haven't met all the staff here, one thing I can tell from the get go is that the majority of them were smartly picked and were picked for a good reason, and I hope you all continue to try your best, and to keep an open mind to all these suggestions as a lot of them are really good. ❤❤