New Players Leaving

Halokiller990

MVP
Halokiller990
Halokiller990
MVP
First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this.

The First Problem:
I feel that the newer players to islands are just so confused on what to do so they just leave, even if we had some form of (possibly skippable or can be done again) tutorial that would be much, much better, because I and others will see people join and just ask everyone how to play and what the goal is, etc, etc. The community tries their best to help out with these new players but sometimes these new players just end up leaving anyway.

The Second Problem:
Another problem that the newer players have is the fact that the rain is acid as well, I know that it's supposed to be like that because the water kills you, blah, blah, blah. The new players always ask if they can turn off the rain but they really can't. The active people will tell them to wear a helmet but usually, these new players don't have a helmet yet. So there are new players just stuck huddling under a tree so they can wait out the game and actually play islands.

I just don't feel that this is how it should be.
Anyways, these are just my thoughts on the matter, thank you for taking the time to read this post.

-Halokiller990 / Cookie

TheRealHZFJ

ELITE
TheRealHZFJ
TheRealHZFJ
ELITE
Ratings
Very true actually and there is more than just that:
My 1st problem is the Economy:
Basically people usually want things instantly, especially kids, and they are not gonna wait or grind for several hours for some spawners which get them money. It's quite boring too sometimes, and they will just leave ( but if you make it too easy anyway people will still leave because there would be no challenge and everything would be done so quickly so yeah )
My 2nd problem is the Goal:
Usually when you play a game there are few things which makes it be called a proper game. Those are: developers which make the game, players which play the game, challenge because without it every game would be boring ( i know getting money for spawners is a challenge but doing that for hours is gonna get boring ) and the Goal which usually rewards your hard work when you finish ( and makes you play something in the first place ). As of right now there is no Goal for islands, u just get money,expand then get more money then expand and that's it and then when you feel everything is done, you are just gonna buy cubits and get ranks with money which they get from being Away From Keyboard next to grinders
My 3rd problem is Silver:
Now, when i saw that silver was introduced to ManaCube as a currency for Islands, i though it was a great change because Mana was SO HARD to get in season 2 for Islands so yeah but now when you play a little bit, nothing has really change for new players. Basically new players are not gonna spend hours trying to get silver so they can upgrade there islands. Now this does not mean that this will make them leave but it can happen, might already did to be honest....

JRS3445

ELITE
JRS3445
JRS3445
ELITE
Personally, I like Islands but it's not for everyone. It's a mash-up of survival and creative with some extra twists. If you want something more than building and completing some quests, this isn't for you. That said, I agree a few tweaks can make it more appealing.
  1. The main thing I think it needs is a wiki -- both to provide some direction to new players and to explain some of the more detailed custom features.
  2. I agree that the rain is an issue for new players. I'd either make it less frequent (it seems way more common than on a vanilla server) or add a leather cap to the starting chest.
  3. To keep players interested, I'd add more rewards based on extended play. Something like silver boosts for big milestones: 250 island levels, 2500 kills, 24 hours played, etc.

Ratings
I very much agree that it is quite difficult for players to get the hang of when they first start and agree with @JRS3445 ,that these would be good updates but they arent going to make a difference to new players, I think a starter guide maybe even a book? Would be really useful.