Perk Keys

How should the McMMO xp multiplier be handled?

• Replaced with McMMO cool down booster. All McMMO active abilities have a reduced cool down (1/2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replaced with non McMMO related perk. Reduced hunger consumption, boosted damage, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Experience gain changed to standard 100%, perk gives a 25% boost instead of 100% boost.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Ratings
To start off, I'm still really hyped about Islands finally being released post reset, it finally feels like there's a point to playing it again and that's great, however the perk keys present a bit of an issue.

The magical chests thing is honestly pretty cool, no real issue with that, and I feel the same about /heal. I have no real use for the /setwarp command, but I understand how it is useful. The master kit and water immunity perks to me personally feel kind of counter intuitive and against the point of "you don't have a lot of resources and your space is being limited", but I have no issue with other people utilizing these tools if they so choose. My major concern lies with the McMMO experience multiplier, and I'll go into some detail below.

Going from Islands beta v1.4 to Islands version 2.0 feels like McMMO got cut off at the knees in terms of experience gain. In 4 hours of play I've managed to gain 55 levels total from actually playing, and another 100 from an ancient key in the form of McMMO credits. My first experience with Islands I managed to reach almost level 100 in my first 3 hours by simply playing the game. Now in the perk chest (a single key normally costs a whopping $25 USD when not on the current 75% off sale mind you) you get a 1/6 chance, assuming every perk has the same chance to be rolled, to multiply all McMMO experience by 2.

Now I would have no issue with McMMO xp being reduced if it weren't for this perk being added and there being a publicly displayed leaderboard in the spawn for McMMO level. The leaderboard aspect does nothing more than encourage people to spend money on keys to gamble for a chance to maybe be able to get on the leaderboard long term, that's not good for the players on the server. As I'm writing this I'm sitting at #5 on this leaderboard purely because I got 100 credits out of an ancient key, I'm on this leaderboard because I spent money and got lucky. Anyone who does not have spare money to spend has absolutely no chance of getting on this leaderboard in the long run because it will be dominated by the 20 people who have the McMMO multiplier who play the most, with people occasionally being shunted off by other people who have the multiplier and also play a lot.

Reaching wall of text status here, but I have one last thing to say and I'm going to set up a poll pertaining to it. One of a few things needs to happen for the sake of being fair to people who play the game and don't have spare money. Either the McMMO multiplier needs to be replaced by a different perk, a few of which I will suggest in the poll, or the experience gain needs to be tweaked numbers-wise, so that you don't have to play over twice as much as people who spent money to have even a chance of being on the leaderboard in the long run.
[DOUBLEPOST=1475162942,1475162250][/DOUBLEPOST]In the interest of not editing the original post and leaving it be, the perk chest can only roll each perk once per character, so technically if you spend $300 USD without a sale you are guaranteed to get the multiplier, but that doesn't make it any less pay-to-win in terms of getting on the leaderboard, it's just not really a gamble if you have a lot of money to spend. (Quick note, it's actually only $150 for 6 keys as pointed out by Unrefined Style, my brain decided to double the final value for whatever reason)

Last edited:

UnrefinedStyle

Dedicated Member
Donator
Ratings
90 6
While I agree with your general opinion, in order to achieve all 6 perks, it will cost $150, not $300, though that is still a extremely high price for 99% of players.

I can't offer any other good ideas for fixing this perk at the moment, perhaps if I give it some more thought though.

Ratings
While I agree with your general opinion, in order to achieve all 6 perks, it will cost $150, not $300, though that is still a extremely high price for 99% of players.

I can't offer any other good ideas for fixing this perk at the moment, perhaps if I give it some more thought though.
Right, I don't know why I came to the conclusion of $300, my bad.