Problem With Map Themes

Llighty

Dedicated Member
Ratings
41 1
So, I have being playing parkour on manacube since late 2019 and have noticed some definite problems with map themes. There are none.
Maps that are getting accepted have themes that no-one has heard of and are totally random. And it is a long process to check that your map is infact, original.
Now I am not saying that there should be 100 maps with the exact same theme, all I am saying is that there needs to be a change to how the server deals with unoriginal maps. Most maps from big franchises (eg. Mario, Pokémon, Sonic) are very old and do not meet the current standards of accepted maps. These maps should not be deleted but new maps that share the same theme SHOULD be accepted. Think of it as remaking the older maps on the server.

If anyone else has additional thoughts on this I would be interested in hearing them as I know others are getting frustrated with the same problems.

BDOsborne

Forum Expert
Ratings
265 1
devils advocate:
How would u like it if in a year all ur maps were deleted due to different standards?

clearly some maps deserve to be maps more than others in terms of themes but i really dont see how it is hard to find an original theme, there are literally infinite options. i know it can seem frustrating but theres still lots of themes that are well known that havent been touched yet which is ur job to unveil!
edit: i cant read clearly. if i was to rephrase, instead of deleted but "replaced"

Last edited:

Llighty

Dedicated Member
Ratings
41 1
I never said that maps should be deleted, but newer maps with the same theme should be allowed.
And with what you said about finding new themes, I have found it really difficult to find a good theme that i enjoy making that would get accepted.
edit: again, im not saying that they should not be replaced, but displayed equally so people can see how standards have progressed

Last edited:

Llighty

Dedicated Member
Ratings
41 1
aslong as the maps aren't exact copies and are set in a different area or with a different version of the character, and are reasonably different, they should all get accepted

Acrellux

Forum God
ELITE
Acrellux
Acrellux
ELITE
Ratings
1,364 146
So /log cake, but /log cake? what else would you call the warp? it's too complicated

Llighty

Dedicated Member
Ratings
41 1
name them something else like what i said with a different variant or setting

Acrellux

Forum God
ELITE
Acrellux
Acrellux
ELITE
Ratings
1,364 146
name them something else like what i said with a different variant of setting
I can think of a lot of maps that you can't rename. The ones that come to mind are
- Most superheroes
- Snowman

Acrellux

Forum God
ELITE
Acrellux
Acrellux
ELITE
Ratings
1,364 146
So they'd accept another cake map?

Llighty

Dedicated Member
Ratings
41 1
yeah pres i dont think thats the case most of the time, as some maps that i have submitted have been warned that there are 2 or 3 maps in the same franchise and that any more would make that theme unoriginal

Llighty

Dedicated Member
Ratings
41 1
like it can still be a cake but a different type of cake like a wedding cake or a decorative cake that is for a specific event like Halloween
edit: carrot cake

Acrellux

Forum God
ELITE
Acrellux
Acrellux
ELITE
Ratings
1,364 146
no the build has to be significantly better or different i think and even then its iffy
Yes so, a beautiful chocolate cake with vanilla frosting poured over and seeping onto the plate with strawberries wedged into delightful bites and strawberry jam injected carefully between the layers? On a china plate, to mention? Mmm.

Presidenten

Forum Master
ELITE
Hampifant
Hampifant
ELITE
Ratings
521 13
So they'd accept another cake map?
I already made another cake map (wedding cake) and it won the map building competition

yeah pres i dont think thats the case most of the time, as some maps that i have submitted have been warned that there are 2 or 3 maps in the same franchise and that any more would make that theme unoriginal
When was the last time you saw a good map get rejected for it's theme only?

Jash

Forum Expert
PATRON+
Jashhy
Jashhy
Patron+
Ratings
367 5
As told by Krissy (Map Judge);
If you create a map that is already on the server, so same theme of the map; as long as you create the map with more detail, ensure the map is enjoyable to play on and is balanced, fits difficulty and is executed differently from the other map that it shares the theme from it has a chance at being accepted.

Hope this at least helps to clear a few things up.
Have a nice rest of your day/evening.

Shinxray

SrMod | Parkour Manager
Senior Mod
Shinxray
Shinxray
Senior Mod
Ratings
692 11
Here is an image to synthesize what everyone said (It's on the wiki on the FAQ part):

What this mean is we don't really care that much about the theme at the end, we suggest to avoid using unoriginal theme because they tend to be very similar build, you need an original build (Example with Floating island maps, even if your build is not exactly like what we already have, but there is so many maps with this theme already that it's generally very similar to another map), but that do not mean you can't get something original with what is set as an "unoriginal theme". (Using the Floating Island theme, a recent example would be Inverted, with another theme, we could pick the Regi builds from Inktest recently, despite using the same theme and even the same group of Pokemon, they still get accepted because they are different enough, and the parkour is decent) (Even tho I would prefer if someone don't submit 10 pokemon maps in a row).