Featured [RESULTS] Final Paper is Finished!

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
Hey again everyone!

I want to thank everyone again for participating in my survey for Research Methods. As promised, I am releasing the final paper for those who want to take the time to read!

This is advanced, college level writing so it may be difficult for some of our younger community members to interpret. I would love to answer any questions you all might have about the research and especially the results. I found this super interesting to analyze and I think you guys will too :)

View the final paper here: Paper Link

Personal information about me and my professor has been redacted for our safety. Not that I don't trust y'all...but I also don't really want my address on the internet.

I hope you all enjoy the results of this paper and maybe this will inspire someone to do future surveys or research about Minecraft or ManaCube later on. I would love to see follow up work on the topic!

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
Hey again everyone!

I want to thank everyone again for participating in my survey for Research Methods. As promised, I am releasing the final paper for those who want to take the time to read!

This is advanced, college level writing so it may be difficult for some of our younger community members to interpret. I would love to answer any questions you all might have about the research and especially the results. I found this super interesting to analyze and I think you guys will too :)

Personal information about me and my professor has been redacted for our safety. Not that I don't trust y'all...but I also don't really want my address on the internet.

I hope you all enjoy the results of this paper and maybe this will inspire someone to do future surveys or research about Minecraft or ManaCube later on. I would love to see follow up work on the topic!
I did find this very interesting:
"
The study at hand explored potential reasonings for deviant behavior on a specific Minecraft server known as ManaCube. There were significant findings related to donator versus non donator perceptions on punishment, especially in the nature of motivation. Higher donator ranks are more likely to be involved in gamemode and leaderboard related deviant behaviors over lower ranks and non-donators overall. Donators are also more inclined to break chat rules due to social reasons such as irritation or disliking someone.
"

At first, the notion of "motivation" in regard to breaking rules seems somewhat absurd; why would anyone be motivated to break the rules? Then again, this is what the whole paper is about, but this paragraph really summarized it well. I find this is a very interesting look at player psychology; especially perceptions and reasons for punishments. Very nice work!

Acrellux

Forum God
ELITE
Acrellux
Acrellux
ELITE
Ratings
1,364 146
Incredible job! This was very fun to read. Maybe if you keep doing papers featuring ManaCube your entire university would start playing :O

Buffy

Forum Master
QA Team
BuffySwag
BuffySwag
QA Team
Ratings
331 5
although i dont have time to read it now, i will because it looks fascinating! my really awful, nit-picking side however notices the lack of chart 2. (sorry for pointing that out, unless it was deliberate)

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
although i dont have time to read it now, i will because it looks fascinating! my really awful, nit-picking side however notices the lack of chart 2. (sorry for pointing that out, unless it was deliberate)
Yes, some charts were removed deliberately from the final report but the paper I turned in did have chart 2, since my professor wanted to see all of the analysis we did. My bad for not taking it out of this copy!

is theyre a jr version for us lesser smart people :flushed:
I thought about making an "executive summary" except less formal as well, but I wanted to present the full paper first before I did that. I'll consider making a summary with some more interpretations of the results. However, I don't want to end up in a situation where I write a document that appears I jumped to conclusions or attributes causes rather than simply pointing out where data correlates. Hope that makes sense :oops:

Kuduva

Ratings
65 7
Take this as a compliment:

This reminds me of those people that advertise they will write anything for you and get an A

The fact that you were able to break down minecraft servers is astounding to me. Great job on the writing, couldn’t have done it better myself.

burt3103

PATRON
BurtyBird
BurtyBird
Patron
Ratings
Hey again everyone!

Congrats on finishing!!

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
I haven't finished reading the paper yet... but I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure taking part in the survey. I also would like to thank you for inspiring me to pursue these kinds of topics in the future. I've done similar projects relating to Minecraft and Manacube, but I've never really done any extensive research on the community itself, and this just goes to show that it IS possible! Next time I need to do some kind of research in the area of sociology or psychology, I'll keep Manacube in mind as a possible topic. This might work well as I'm taking courses that cover sociology/psychology.

Quick

Forum Expert
ELITE
Quick_Silver_
Quick_Silver_
ELITE
Ratings
214 20
I love the idea of bringing entertainment into a professional and deeper understanding. This was a great detailed piece of writing and it really digs into parts the average player wouldn't really dwell over. 10/10