Forum Master
ELITE
TigerTwist2
TigerTwist2
ELITE
Ratings
401 124
1. I don't want to live in paranoia. please
2. if this feature was removed I'd know if a staff member is online to who I can report a rule breaker/bug , and staffhide stops me from doing this.
3. If staff still want to hide somehow, they can do /vanish! this will hide them from everything except /staff.
Except for mass surveillance, there really is no reason for /staffhide to exist. Whilst I hope it was added as a feature with good intentions, it'd make the populace of Manacube Very happy if we could see the staff currently online at all times.

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
Hey there,
First, I'd like to say that I appreciate your suggestion! It's always great to see ideas and feedback from the community.

But I'd like to point out that there are reasons why staff have the ability to do this; I won't go too far down the rabbit hole here, in response to your second point, you can always /helpop your issues, or report them in the community discord and tag the appropriate staff. We'll be sure to respond to you that way ^-^

Hallowqueen

Olympus | Mod+
Moderator+
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod+
Ratings
2,326 82
Instead of saying 'no we don't want this' say 'what would help the players most'? And that would be for the players to know their report is being seen when they helpop. Be grateful players report at all, don't tell them to report elsewhere.
I don't really understand your point. Of course, player reports are totally optional, and players have no obligation to report anything - but staff don't tell players to make reports elsewhere if there are staff in-game to respond to helpops. From experience, 99% of the time if there are staff online who have no permissions to deal with the game-mode the report comes from, they will pass it on to a member of staff who is capable of handling it, they will simply try to get as much information as possible from the player(s).

There are several staff who abuse staffhide to run from some of their duties. Don't try to hide it; it's self evident.
If you are aware of staff members abusing their positions and have evidence to back this up, the best place to go to resolve this would be contacting an admin directly about the issue, or filing a staff report. It's quite a bold claim to make on a public forums thread.

To go back to the original point of the post - reducing tools that allow staff to be able to function simply isn't necessary. If you have concerns regarding specific members of staff abusing their permissions, then as mentioned above, you should make a report. However, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have no reason to be 'paranoid' that a member of staff is online and 'invisible'.

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
If I don't see staff online in ./staff I tend to check my friends list or send a message in the discord and ping the appropriate staff. Staff need to be able to appear offline/invisible so they can catch hackers. It's hard to catch or punish rule breakers if they just log off every time they see a staff member online...

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
So I'll be the first Mod to reply to this and it will most likely be my one and only reply. Staffing is an active thing and you have to be paying attention at all times.

The staff hiding command from /staff is a useful tool it helps catch some of our most ardent cheaters who constantly run /staff to avoid detection. We've seen players use alts to run the command and message their main account when staff members are online with the expressed intent of cheating. Regardless this is not the main function of the command it is to assist us when we cannot split our attention from the task we are doing ( looking at core logs, collecting evidence, dealing with serious issues and etc).

My idea isn't to reduce staff tools. It's to make it so that instead of having staff not show up on /staff is to have them listed next to "Other: "
What you are suggesting is taking valuable time and dev work to make you feel more secure that reports are being seen. Something you have already expressed is not happening anyway. Depending on the time of day there can be dozens of reports and not all staff are obligated to attend to every issue other than reporting it to other staff. Your admission that Staff reports do nothing is false. I was involved with many as a player and have been involved in it as staff as well they do incur repercussions but having a full bill of facts is something that takes time there is a lot of trust between lower and higher staff as there has to be to have a cohesive team, Trust takes time to build and is not easily thrown away. Staff reports do matter and your continual insistence that they make no difference is false

Except for mass surveillance, there really is no reason for /staffhide to exist. Whilst I hope it was added as a feature with good intentions, it'd make the populace of Manacube Very happy if we could see the staff currently online at all times.
We don't need mass surveillance of online staff to keep up with whats happening.

but there is no one on /staff it feels like a waste and is frustrating.
This is also often because there are actually no staff online.

2. if this feature was removed I'd know if a staff member is online to who I can report a rule breaker/bug , and staffhide stops me from doing this.
/fr list
3. If staff still want to hide somehow, they can do /vanish! this will hide them from everything except /staff.
Most staff do this when catching hackers regardless. We use it as a tool when we need to not be interrupted.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
I don't know if I will get in trouble for this but.. will always do the job.
That is just a bug on Survival. Would prefer if you didn't spread it.

Last edited: