MCBYT

Forum Master
ELITE
MCBYT
MCBYT
ELITE
Ratings
491 19
In the wise words of Michael Scott: "You don't call retarded people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded. "
Fortunately, I haven't seen this word used very often (and even when it is, it's usually amongst friends), but if it's a serious problem on the other subservers, I'd agree that it should be censored.

Ratings
I don't see a need to censor the word. It's mainly used as a joke and, as mentioned above, is rarely used (in a joking or serious manner). It just comes down to the maturity of the person and how they interpret it. If you find it offensive that's fair enough but no need to censor it.

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
I don't see a need to censor the word. It's mainly used as a joke and, as mentioned above, is rarely used (in a joking or serious manner). It just comes down to the maturity of the person and how they interpret it. If you find it offensive that's fair enough but no need to censor it.
Well the issue is that people find it offensive: I think that it would be better to censor it, and possibly have a toggle for it if you don't mind, because it's honestly not used as a joke word in context. It can be a very offensive thing. That's where I disagree with you. Just because some people don't think its offensive, doesn't mean that people can't/won't be hurt by it.

Ratings
Well the issue is that people find it offensive: I think that it would be better to censor it, and possibly have a toggle for it if you don't mind, because it's honestly not used as a joke word in context. It can be a very offensive thing. That's where I disagree with you. Just because some people don't think its offensive, doesn't mean that people can't/won't be hurt by it.
Your point is kind of invalid in my opinion. There are many words that people find offensive, doesn't mean we should block them all. I appreciate this is a controversial topic with split views and I accept other opinions. I believe it will ultimately end up being blocked because of the connotations it has, but I just stated my opinion on the matter :)

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
Your point is kind of invalid in my opinion. There are many words that people find offensive, doesn't mean we should block them all. I appreciate this is a controversial topic with split views and I accept other opinions. I believe it will ultimately end up being blocked because of the connotations it has, but I just stated my opinion on the matter :)
All I was saying is that this is a word that I've seen used quite a bit on Manacube, and that people find offensive. I'm not saying block every word, I was just talking about this one. :)

RozaThePanda

MVP+
MVP+
RozaThePanda
RozaThePanda
MVP+
Ratings
160 7
Adding words to the filter like this is a very common suggestion amongst players, something I’d like to clarify is that while we allow players to use certain terms that aren't currently filtered, some may still have its limitations.

I and the rest of the staff team want players to express themselves and feel comfortable in the ManaCube community no matter where they are. While I do understand and see your point, I don’t believe that filtering the word and stopping players from saying it altogether would make a change at all. The word is thrown around so often nowadays that I feel it's become a normal word to use such as "shit" or "fuck" etc. I would never use the word as it's more often then not going to be used negatively.

However, as I mentioned above, it does have its limitations. We discourage the use of the word if it’s excessive and/or used to disrespect others, and will ask players to stop if they are using it in practically every sentence, or just a very unnecessary amount. Even though the word isn't currently filtered, there have been suggestions to filter it, and people can still be punished for using the word. You can always reach out to our discord and ask for staff to help you if you see someone disrespecting another player, you can also use /help as a way to contact staff.

You may, however, make this a suggestion at https://suggestions.manacube.com/. You can also upvote suggestions that you agree with!

Thank you for expressing your concerns and maybe someday the filter will change, but it is what it is now and we just have to make the best of that. If you wish to discuss it further you can message me on discord at Roza#6385 or start a conversation with me here. Like I stated, I love hearing your opinions.

Have a good day/night

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
Actually, this is all really helpful. Honestly, maybe instead of having words censored- there should be a setting or option of some sort for users to block out certain words. I think there's something like this with Badlion?

RozaThePanda

MVP+
MVP+
RozaThePanda
RozaThePanda
MVP+
Ratings
160 7
Actually, this is all really helpful. Honestly, maybe instead of having words censored- there should be a setting or option of some sort for users to block out certain words. I think there's something like this with Badlion?
That's another thing for the suggestion page! :D

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
That's another thing for the suggestion page! :D
Thanks Roza! And ty to all the other lovely hooman beings who replied to this thread. (if u totally agree with me, make sure to upvote my suggestion on the suggestions webpage)

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
Thanks Roza! And ty to all the other lovely hooman beings who replied to this thread. (if u totally agree with me, make sure to upvote my suggestion on the suggestions webpage)
When it's been approved, do you mind pasting it here so I can upvote it? Thanks!

-WingsOfFyre

warlord9120

Forum Expert
ELITE
Warlord9120
Warlord9120
ELITE
Ratings
485 23
I kind of have my opinion on both sides to be honest. I get that people can get offended by it and I get that people use it as a joke. For instance, because of my homosexuality, my friends are allowed to call me a ****** sometimes. It's kinda like the N word for gays, so to say. But when people I don't know use it, it can get to me in some situations and depending on my mood.

This makes censoring or not a difficult subject which is more subjective than objective.

jasper_

Forum God
MVP
jaspernotcasper_
jaspernotcasper_
MVP
Ratings
1,232 233
Okay, so I know this is probably going to get a lot of back lash, but I think if we are going to censor the n word, we should also censor the r word. If you don't know what it is, it's retarded or just retard. This is extremely offensive, and I believe it's just as offensive as the n word. I myself have multiple disabilities, and have several friends who have disabilities. No one should ever call someone or something retarded, if you are going to use it, use it properly.
Retard: "to delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment." It's not nice to point out someone is less advanced cognitively or mentally or socially. Just because they may have a health problem that makes it harder for them to learn, or to do whatever, doesn't mean they aren't capable of anything. And they are still human, they should be treated with more respect. This is why I believe it's extremely rude when people start throwing the word around in chat like it's nothing; and yet we can't throw the n word around.
Okay, so I know this is probably going to get a lot of back lash, but I think if we are going to censor the n word, we should also censor the r word. If you don't know what it is, it's retarded or just retard. This is extremely offensive, and I believe it's just as offensive as the n word. I myself have multiple disabilities, and have several friends who have disabilities. No one should ever call someone or something retarded, if you are going to use it, use it properly.
Retard: "to delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment." It's not nice to point out someone is less advanced cognitively or mentally or socially. Just because they may have a health problem that makes it harder for them to learn, or to do whatever, doesn't mean they aren't capable of anything. And they are still human, they should be treated with more respect. This is why I believe it's extremely rude when people start throwing the word around in chat like it's nothing; and yet we can't throw the n word around.

jasper_

Forum God
MVP
jaspernotcasper_
jaspernotcasper_
MVP
Ratings
1,232 233
I argree ive been called a retard before because i have ADHD and its really offensive i hate that word.