G.I.F.D. Mindset

SSM_GOD

Forum Legend
Ratings
1,891 47
I've never been one of those people who ignore problems. I don't see why you should deal with stuff that's broken when it can and should be fixed.
One day a classmate of mine drove to school with a flat tire on their car. I took time out of my metal shoppe class to plug and refill her tire so she could make it to the mechanic to get a new tire. A few days later, I hear that she cracked her axel. Turns out, she didn't get a replacement for the tire.

This is where G.I.F.D. mindset comes in. This stands for Get It Fucking Done.

When you have a problem, or see a problem, fucking fix it! Because it's only going to get worse if you ignore it and push it away. And why would you deal with something that's broken anyways if you can fix it? That makes no sense.

In the story I told you earlier, I dropped my classwork and went out of my way to help another person. I had no requirement or expectation to do this, but as a human being, I had an obligation to help them.
I try to apply this work mentality to everything I do. It's better for yourself to be behind a little bit and everyone else ahead than it is for you to be ahead a little and everyone else behind.

How does this apply to ManaCube you may ask? Let me tell you.
It took me 17 hours to get a reply to a new issue I brought to Olympus staff. And I only got a response once I pinged Admins. With this one specific issue, it's been reported several times by several different players, and when the Admins saw it, they said "whyd you wait until now". These Olympus staff people have gone out of their way to say "yes I will help you report these issues" when they themself ASKED to be staff. They DO have the requirement AND expectation to do this. This is not the first time this has happened. But it's nearly every single time. I reported issues weeks ago and pinged Olympus staff and they're still not followed up on.
And then not only was it ignored by Olympus staff, but every single other staff who read it also has the ability to help and report the issue. It's very clear that those bug issues were being ignored, so why could not a single staff go and fix the tire?
If you're not able to do it yourself right then, give a plan of action on how you are going to. "I can do this in 5 minutes" "we are sorry we missed this but are currently working towards a solution" "I am sorry I made this mistake, to make up for it I'll be fixing it shortly" "thanks for reporting this, I plan to do a, b, and c to fix this"

I do not mean to attack staff. I am grateful for the work they do when they do it. And I understand that people have things to do in game and in real life, but why are you chatting in other text channels, talking in vcs, and mining in the mines when there is work to be done that YOU said you would do? There are 12 of you Olympus staff. How can not ONE single of you respond without Admins or other staff getting you?

As a player, I am already going out of my way to report bugs anywhere. Do not expect me to report it everywhere or even elsewhere.
I am so fucking close to not reporting another issue and leaving it for someone else.
I don't even know how to report his minion dupe issue because I can't talk to staff!

Thank you to @Sonic_Raptor and @abs for going out of their way to help report Olympus issues. It really does mean a hell of a lot to me that you did that.

Last edited:

caleb!

Dedicated Member
ELITE
imageyser
imageyser
ELITE
Ratings
251 8
Hello SSM,

Thank you for making this thread. You brought up very valid points, and I will take them into consideration when handling issues going forward. Sometimes I forget that I should be helping with all servers & not just creative, so I appreciate this constructive criticism/reminder. I'm sorry to all players who have had issues when reporting bugs, and hope you will continue to do so in the future. Once again, thank you. I will do better.

- Caleb

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Sometimes the answer for a lot of bugs is we know about it, but we have no clue when it will be fixed. However in saying this as silly as it sounds more bugs are being fixed network wide than ever before. If you have a dupe bug please let me or any other stuff know and I promise it will get it reported and fixed as dupes are more damaging than anything else.

Topslime

PATRON
TopSlime
TopSlime
Patron
Ratings
I agree with SSM 100% SimplyLowry and I. Run around Aether and help test broken items or features. We also report bugs to EvanTech. But, It seems Staff are more worried about personal vendettas than working as a team, and accepting mulitple viewpoints.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
I agree with SSM 100% SimplyLowry and I. Run around Aether and help test broken items or features. We also report bugs to EvanTech. But, It seems Staff are more worried about personal vendettas than working as a team, and accepting mulitple viewpoints.
I don't agree with this. I have players I'm not a big fan of but a bug is a bug its not that deep.

simplylowry

PATRON+
SimplyLowry
SimplyLowry
Patron+
Ratings
38 1
Well well this is my kinda forum post where do I get started me and ssm have probably reported over 50 bugs since season start and maybe got 25 replies thats being generous . There's been times where I reported a bug a month ago and I ask about it a month later and they say oh no one reported this and I have litreal posts in issues and help channel. You can even make farms on aether they break cause of ticks which I reported at the start of February it is bad staff they are ignorant to replying to their staff pings and the server had died because of it -1 to all the mods who don't expect this as a fact

Last edited:

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Hello,

Was going to readdress this thread I've just been busy.

Firstly just straight off the bat @simplylowry if you aren't getting adequate responses on discord to your reports use the Forums. You have made 2-3 Bug related reports since reset and the rest are stuff like bugged out minions and other things of that nature. Tickets don't go away and its a really good place to lay out the detail. Not all Moderators know the game mode as well as you as you've been playing the game mode longer than most of the Staff team let alone the player base.
I have litreal posts in issues and help channel.
Make a ticket. If its difficult to explain, understand or test and discuss with you through discord tickets are the solution. Discord help channels are crowded and difficult and often ignored or read all due to the sheer amount of pings that are hard to keep up with and I am on discord more than most staff. The lack of success of the Olympus has nothing to do with how Moderators reply to their pings, you know this.

Olympus was rushed due to pressure from players
Look to the response above my post and you will see one of those aforementioned players.

This thread is to bring attention to the inactivity and disregard from the Olympus staff in general, over the recent weeks.
There are 12 of you. You all made a commitment. Stop playing league and osu and reply to the Olympus staff pings. You're literally replying to secondary game mode staff pings for people not knowing to click for a Factions gen bucket or someone wants a divorce in creative, minutes before and after being pinged for broken game mechanisms in Olympus.
Pretty sure I say this every time a thread within this genre is posted but if you have an issue with staff and any aspect of their commitment make a Report and talk to an Admin. There is no better way to bring up these concerns and it has always been this way.

Finally for secondary game modes, this a false notion when applying for a second game mode you do so as a full staff member of that part of the team as well. Also the examples you pointed out are easy 10 second issues which can be answered quickly whereas bugs often need to be understood to a working concept which takes some people a committed amount of time then small easy questions. You too can make better use of the ticketing system. Bar 2 tickets one of which is waiting on Dakota and the other you reported this week all your tickets on bugs have been sorted and added to our internal system for bug lists and what not.

Finally,
something I'm a big fan of is just getting it done when I get involved and you seem to be of a similar mindset. If you understand Olympus so well and obviously care and have time for it you should absolutely be encouraged to go for staff. No one who has commented on this thread is blocked from applying for staff and if you are so fundamentally frustrated by the process give it a go yourself!

EvanTech

SrMod | Mentoring
Senior Mod
EvanTech
EvanTech
Senior Mod
Ratings
347 38
I do my best to grab the bugs that are posted in issues but I don't always get them all, usually it's the time of day that I can remember to get on and report. If a bug goes unnoticed, feel free to DM me a link to it in the channel or DM the bug to me directly, it'll definitely get addressed within the same day. And SSM, I appreciate that you message me the bugs in game. It helps a lot and it gets added to the list of things to do a lot faster, since you won't have to wait for when I check it on my own. I also encourage pinging Olympus staff for every single bug you post in issues unless it's directly back to back, this helps organize and allows us to skim the channel for pings when looking for bugs.
Let me know if there's anything else I can address that me or Rap hasn't already said.

Hetti

Hetti301
Hetti301
Ratings
A server i loved just didn’t do shit they get annoyed their server is dead when its their fault. They ignore bug reports dont put effort in gamemodes and ignore players. They need to be told this xd

Topslime

PATRON
TopSlime
TopSlime
Patron
Ratings
I don't mind the little bugs. It's the features they don't have in the game. I understand they are fixing stuff or adding questionable features. I just would like to see if the rewards from rebirthing are cool. Instead of adding tax to auction house. It would be cool to see what the Hera's gifts are or Poseidon's pond. It seems they could reskin the gift of the gods with a better loot pool. Or atleast give players 2 gift of the gods instead of one. An exclusive poseidon pond may make pond more enjoyable, if the pond has better loot. I just appreciate content and a bit of rebirths give you no real rewards...

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
It's worth remembering that while staff members are very knowledgeable about the server they're staff on, and Minecraft in general, they are not typically trained in other aspects of their responsibilities. Not every staff member will be equally good at customer service, problem-solving, or conflict resolution (to name a few) and there is no real training for this outside of how to resolve very specific common server issues like "how to fix this bug." Not to mention that a good percentage of staff members are minors.

This isn't a call-out or an insult of staff, it's just a factor to consider when dealing with staff interactions. You might be the best parkour in the world and be forgetful like me, forget that you were going to pass that report along an hour ago and never got around to it. These are skills often gathered from experience and time spent, and you can't expect every mod to be on the same page in that way.

ashalee

Forum Expert
ELITE
ashalee
ashalee
ELITE
Ratings
395 5
Hello SSM and other players, I'd just like to first of all say thank you for bringing this up. As an Olympus staff member, I do admit that there have been instances where some bugs are not answered/reported for many hours at a time and I agree it is inconvenient. I'd like to sincerely apologize for these inconveniences and issues and on my end will try to do more to minimize these forgotten issues. Please remember too, that this doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is ignoring it if its not answered. Sometimes things in the community Discord can be missed as there are lots of reports per day. This is no excuse though, as I admit they should've been answered and I do apologize that they were not. To my second point, if there is a bug or issue that has not been answered in the community Discord, my DM's are always open! If something is in my DM's, i will likely always be on top of it. Therefore any of you are always free to message me if there is an issue that hasn't been answered/resolved! (Still use the discord channels though, if something is forgotten/not answered in a specific amount of time, i encourage you then to DM me or another staff <3 )

I'd also like to point out that personally, in my experiences, life usually gets busy during this time of year, so I sincerely apologize if it may seem like if i am ignoring pings or issues. I can assure you that when i am available, i will do my best to answer them if they haven't been answered already. Recently, things have slowed down a bit and I don't have too much life-stress anymore so I am trying to pick my activity back up and to pay more attention to the issues channel for anything that might be reported. I'd also like to ask that players please understand that sometimes there can be burnout in staff members, and even though you may see us on other games, that does not mean we are disregarding ManaCube as a whole. We are human, sometimes we need to take breaks. Staffing shouldn't control one's life as every staff member is merely volunteering amongst other life events. I am not saying this as an excuse for complete absence though, as we should not leave players hanging on their own without warning. To state again, my DM's are always open if there is an issue that has not been answered/resolved in the community Discord!

Thank you for your time and I sincerely apologize <3

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
Don’t quote me on this- but I think (at least in my opinion) some of it has to do with the staff to player ratio. Manacube has maybe roughly 60 staff last time I counted, and thousands of players online at any given time. Of course, that’s just a rough total estimate... if we want to get specific, on aether alone, I’d estimate somewhere between 20-50 players and for atlas anywhere from 10-20. This is judged based on me looking at tab when I was on last. But I hope that this gets my point across!! SSM already pointed out that there’s only 12 Olympus staff currently. At least two or three are staff on one or more gamemodes. Basically what I am trying to say is the number of staff is smaller to begin with, and REALISTICALLY each person can only handle one thing at a time. Everyone has mentioned that there are tons of reports coming in everyday, so to me it doesn’t come as a surprise that things DO get missed. Especially with the pressure of having to keep up with all the responsibilities of being staff, things are bound to get missed! I think the best solution would be getting more qualified staff and reposting things in the help/issues channel if it has gone unresolved for a while. This is just my perspective on things as a player :)

warlord9120

Forum Expert
ELITE
Warlord9120
Warlord9120
ELITE
Ratings
485 23
I'm not going to repeat things people already said since there's not much use to it. If there is one thing I would repeat is that I agree there are things that get missed, and that's only human. I've seen the mention of our tickets, which is a really organised way to keep track of everything for ourselves. Especially since we can always go back to said ticket for more info, so I would really like to encourage the use of this. This doesn't mean that I'm telling you guys to not use the discord channels!

I'd like to point out that it goes both ways. I have noticed that sometimes, reports go unpinged, which makes it easier to miss for staff. I would encourage people to keep pinging for this stuff, especially if it goes unnoticed. I'd rather have "a ping too much" than not enough pings. If pinging doesn't help... Like Ashley said, my dms are open. I have a different time zone than most Olympus staff but I will mostly answer my dms once I wake up or have free time.

Lastly, I feel like there is another part that should be adressed. Staffing is 100% voluntarily, which means that technically it's not "a job" if you get what I mean. It's not a job in a way because you're not expected to be present every day for x amount of hours doing x amount of work. Please note that staffing can also be stressful. We have to keep an eye out for chat, bugs, hackers, tickets, discord, forums post, reports, our dms, things other staff ask us to do if they can't and more stuff behind the screens. Ofcourse, I'm not saying that everyone does all of the above and yes, technically we did sign up for it. But once in a while, we need a little break from it. Some need a longer break than others. Keep in mind that personal lives have a big impact on this too. Let's take me as an example for a moment and I'll be 100% honest with you guys. Yes, my activity could definitely be better. Yes, I do play a bunch of League and Osu... But let me explain. I'm a college student for Applied Psychology. I tried university last year but covid messed that up so badly that I gave up and made a switch. This gave me a bunch of anxiety for the current academical year because... If I don't pass or pass enough, I'm done for. I don't think I'd have to tell you that covid doesn't help. Meanwhile, I'm having stuff I've been working on for the past year on a mental aspect. The anxiety I have for my education, the image I have of myself because of my past, the other type of scars my past gave me and the current situation I'm in at home (not going in too much detail on that). I guess that in a way I've been trying to heal a wound that's still festering. Add on top of that the big possibility I could have lost my brother in the last two weeks and still could in the weeks to come. Combine all of that with a few dozen pings a day as staff, having things to do in game and on discord... I can tell you, it gets heavy. So yes, I actually need League or Osu to be able to relax and distract myself. It's one of the things that have kept me going the past year. If it wasn't for playing League with a group of friends, I don't know where I'd be at. I'm not trying to get sympathy here at all by everything I said, however... I'm trying to get a little bit of understanding. This is just the case for me but there are many staff members who go through similar or completely different stuff in their lives which affect their staffing.

Also, please note that a staff members presence in game does not represent all they do as staff. There's a bunch of stuff staff members tend to do that players generally aren't able to see because it indirectly affects them. I hope this shed some light on things. I don't really have anything to hide and I hope that it makes sense. And again, please feel free to dm me if stuff goes unnoticed, I will always try to reply as fast as I can!! I would also like to apologise on my behalf for stuff going unnoticed, I try to stay on top of things as much as I can. Also, thank you to anyone who is supportive. It be through having a staff member as a friend and being there for them or simply being understanding. I hope that whoever reads this is doing well and that they have a good day! Sorry for the long post!

Mik

Forum Expert
ELITE
mtb130
mtb130
ELITE
Ratings
193 36
I'm not going to repeat things people already said since there's not much use to it. If there is one thing I would repeat is that I agree there are things that get missed, and that's only human. I've seen the mention of our tickets, which is a really organised way to keep track of everything for ourselves. Especially since we can always go back to said ticket for more info, so I would really like to encourage the use of this. This doesn't mean that I'm telling you guys to not use the discord channels!

I'd like to point out that it goes both ways. I have noticed that sometimes, reports go unpinged, which makes it easier to miss for staff. I would encourage people to keep pinging for this stuff, especially if it goes unnoticed. I'd rather have "a ping too much" than not enough pings. If pinging doesn't help... Like Ashley said, my dms are open. I have a different time zone than most Olympus staff but I will mostly answer my dms once I wake up or have free time.

Lastly, I feel like there is another part that should be adressed. Staffing is 100% voluntarily, which means that technically it's not "a job" if you get what I mean. It's not a job in a way because you're not expected to be present every day for x amount of hours doing x amount of work. Please note that staffing can also be stressful. We have to keep an eye out for chat, bugs, hackers, tickets, discord, forums post, reports, our dms, things other staff ask us to do if they can't and more stuff behind the screens. Ofcourse, I'm not saying that everyone does all of the above and yes, technically we did sign up for it. But once in a while, we need a little break from it. Some need a longer break than others. Keep in mind that personal lives have a big impact on this too. Let's take me as an example for a moment and I'll be 100% honest with you guys. Yes, my activity could definitely be better. Yes, I do play a bunch of League and Osu... But let me explain. I'm a college student for Applied Psychology. I tried university last year but covid messed that up so badly that I gave up and made a switch. This gave me a bunch of anxiety for the current academical year because... If I don't pass or pass enough, I'm done for. I don't think I'd have to tell you that covid doesn't help. Meanwhile, I'm having stuff I've been working on for the past year on a mental aspect. The anxiety I have for my education, the image I have of myself because of my past, the other type of scars my past gave me and the current situation I'm in at home (not going in too much detail on that). I guess that in a way I've been trying to heal a wound that's still festering. Add on top of that the big possibility I could have lost my brother in the last two weeks and still could in the weeks to come. Combine all of that with a few dozen pings a day as staff, having things to do in game and on discord... I can tell you, it gets heavy. So yes, I actually need League or Osu to be able to relax and distract myself. It's one of the things that have kept me going the past year. If it wasn't for playing League with a group of friends, I don't know where I'd be at. I'm not trying to get sympathy here at all by everything I said, however... I'm trying to get a little bit of understanding. This is just the case for me but there are many staff members who go through similar or completely different stuff in their lives which affect their staffing.

Also, please note that a staff members presence in game does not represent all they do as staff. There's a bunch of stuff staff members tend to do that players generally aren't able to see because it indirectly affects them. I hope this shed some light on things. I don't really have anything to hide and I hope that it makes sense. And again, please feel free to dm me if stuff goes unnoticed, I will always try to reply as fast as I can!! I would also like to apologise on my behalf for stuff going unnoticed, I try to stay on top of things as much as I can. Also, thank you to anyone who is supportive. It be through having a staff member as a friend and being there for them or simply being understanding. I hope that whoever reads this is doing well and that they have a good day! Sorry for the long post!
that gif in ur signature new? Orr am I unobservant. cute