Owner
OWNER
xDacon
xDacon
Owner
Ratings
4,718 83
Hey everyone

This is a crucial poll regarding our beloved Parkour server. The team has been discussing the next parkour update, and if we should pursue updating to 1.20, or remain on 1.8. The update is still many months out, but we need to poll this now

Below are some key differences that would affect Parkour:

1.20 Pros
  • More Freedom & Creativity: 10+ years of minecraft content would become available (blocks, items, mechanics, resourcepack etc.)
  • Better Cosmetics/Crates (= more funding = more updates)
  • New types of Parkour (New jump mechanics, elytras, etc.)
  • Latest Version would no longer be buggy on many of the maps due to hitbox sizes
  • Global Updates: Parkour can be included in global modern version updates like Festivals
  • New Player Friendly: Lets face it, most new players aren't going to switch to 1.8

However there is a significant hurdle that comes with upgrading to 1.20

----------------------------------
1.20 Cons
  • Broken Maps: Hundreds of maps would be broken due to 1.8 vs 1.20 differences in block hitboxes.
    These would all be fixed before releasing, but would likely take many months. This is why we are polling this super early so that we have plenty of time.
  • 1.8 Discontinued: We wouldn't support 1.8 anymore, which is the preferred client version for many parkour players

So we are at a crossroad. We can play it safe and remain on 1.8 (we still have many new features planned), or take on the challenge of updating to 1.20, embracing it's new features and opportunities. This poll is to gather the communities opinion and feedback. If you are a Parkour player, please submit your vote and discuss your thoughts in this thread! We will consider all feedback in our final decision.

Shinxray

SrMod | Parkour Manager
Senior Mod
Shinxray
Shinxray
Senior Mod
Ratings
692 11
Big con for players : more puzzle maps from me

Editing this message since it's my first post here : I will try responding to most opinions so we can discuss about everything needed about the update

Last edited:

AlfieJay

Parkour Mod+ | Survival Mod
Moderator+
AlfieJay
AlfieJay
Mod+
Ratings
341 10
What about splitting the diff and adding a new 1.20 parkour realm? Do what you did with cubes on Surv but one be 1.8.9, the other can update? Best of both worlds IMO

(but, if it's one or the other, 1.8.9 PLEASE. So much nicer pk)

Shinxray

SrMod | Parkour Manager
Senior Mod
Shinxray
Shinxray
Senior Mod
Ratings
692 11
PLEASE stay on 1.8.
Might need to explain why you wanna stay in 1.8, or there is just no discussion lol

What about splitting the diff and adding a new 1.20 parkour realm? Do what you did with cubes on Surv but one be 1.8.9, the other can update? Best of both worlds IMO

(but, if it's one or the other, 1.8.9 PLEASE. So much nicer pk)
Imo it's too complicated, doing this is basically splitting the community with elitist (who will stay in 1.8) and actually new player, and the 1.8 server will be quite abandoned at some point since no new stuff will be possible (which is a bit what is happening right now)

Masgerade

ELITE
Masgerade
Masgerade
ELITE
Ratings
4 2
Lets not go switch off 1.8.9 after the blips finally got fixed afters months to years. Most insanes would need revamping, of which most mapmakers dont play anymore. This would cause more effort than reward imo, unless we pump out 10 insanes a month with the new innovative parkour.

caseyclosed

Forum Expert
ELITE
caseyclosed
caseyclosed
ELITE
Ratings
518 24
Lets not go switch off 1.8.9 after the blips finally got fixed afters months to years. Most insanes would need revamping, of which most mapmakers dont play anymore. This would cause more effort than reward imo, unless we pump out 10 insanes a month with the new innovative parkour.
a lot more than that breaks but its way worth it cause 1.8 is dead and buried

Shinxray

SrMod | Parkour Manager
Senior Mod
Shinxray
Shinxray
Senior Mod
Ratings
692 11
Blips are not really fully fixed tbf, and there is many other jumps that are laggy because of different hitbox, which will be fixed if we update.
And yeah we will lose blips, but we will get 150+ new stuff instead.
Yeah we will need to revamp the insanes (and to be fair half of the maps), but most of the effort will be from me and Hayley, so if the poll is here, it's because we are ready to do this effort (it will be a pain but well lol)

Shinxray

SrMod | Parkour Manager
Senior Mod
Shinxray
Shinxray
Senior Mod
Ratings
692 11
Can the poll be weighted by hours played lol
Without saying it's impossible, I don't think it will change a lot lol (spoiler : I voted 1.20 and I have 4000+ hours, only players like casey or dooble outweigh me lOl, and that's assuming they not vote for 1.20)

CreeperSlayer

ELITE
CreeperSlayer
CreeperSlayer
ELITE
Ratings
30 2
Either do it or dont but the player count won't change. Literally comes down to destroying most of the good maps on the server vs being able to make cool new maps, but there aren't enough players to make enough new ones. An update isn't going to bring old players back - they don't play on 1.19 servers currently so what difference would this make to them
Post automatically merged:

aka u wasting your time even thinking about it

Jxson

PATRON
Jxson
Jxson
Patron
Ratings
137 6
1.20 is the way to go. 1.8 is simply outdated, and while the logistics of parkour in 1.8 are better, there’s no more room for growth.
My suggestion moving forward - open applications to create a “Parkour team” to assess and go through every map and create a list of maps which can be archived going into 1.20, meaning don’t bother updating the parkour just create a separate warp to “play old maps” . There’s 1800+ maps and so many of them are so bad that they should just be archived and not contribute to ranking up. It would open a lot more space for growth and newer things going into 1.20

CreeperSlayer

ELITE
CreeperSlayer
CreeperSlayer
ELITE
Ratings
30 2
Additionally the newer versions' performance is straight aids. Fine if you're fannying around on kiddy games like survival or skyblock, but when you're halfway through a gauntlet like orangevsblue, you really don't want to drop frames. Life or death

BluePottwal

Dedicated Member
ELITE
BluePottwal
BluePottwal
ELITE
Ratings
163 12
In my opinion parkour does not belong to 1.9+.
Some people may argue that 1.12 is still okay, but having parkour for 3 years now with about 5000 hours of playtime over all servers i can say, that 1.8.9 has the best feeling for parkour.

There are 4 main types of parkour:

1. Segmented: Maps with checkpoints
2. Speedrun: timed maps
3. Rankup: Longer, easier maps without checkpoints
4. OneJump: Hard single Jumps

While Manacube provides possibility to play the points 1 and 2, points 3 and 4 are not present. I know many people might disagree with me on this one, but I think it would be a good addition to add either rankup or onejump to make the playexperience more varied. These maps could be on "manacube level". As you might know, Manacube is a very beginner friendly parkour server. I think it would give new players another way of getting into the parkour world. Another idea would be to add hidden tags on big maps. You could either get a tag if you complete a very hard map, or if you find a hidden Tag (usually a sign to click). Anyways, after 5k hours over all parkourservers and 4.2k hours on manacube i have the opinion that parkour should remain 1.8.9. Another aspect of parkour is that in some later version the facings got removed. This, to me, always was a skill, that new players needed to learn before they got more into parkour. Maybe for the casual player 1.20 might be better, but for the people that actually mastered parkour over the years, 1.20 would be like learning a completely new game.

BluePottwal

Dedicated Member
ELITE
BluePottwal
BluePottwal
ELITE
Ratings
163 12
Without saying it's impossible, I don't think it will change a lot lol (spoiler : I voted 1.20 and I have 4000+ hours, only players like casey or dooble outweigh me lOl, and that's assuming they not vote for 1.20)
We can weight this poll by parkour skill

Masgerade

ELITE
Masgerade
Masgerade
ELITE
Ratings
4 2
In my opinion parkour does not belong to 1.9+.
Some people may argue that 1.12 is still okay, but having parkour for 3 years now with about 5000 hours of playtime over all servers i can say, that 1.8.9 has the best feeling for parkour.

There are 4 main types of parkour:

1. Segmented: Maps with checkpoints
2. Speedrun: timed maps
3. Rankup: Longer, easier maps without checkpoints
4. OneJump: Hard single Jumps

While Manacube provides possibility to play the points 1 and 2, points 3 and 4 are not present. I know many people might disagree with me on this one, but I think it would be a good addition to add either rankup or onejump to make the playexperience more varied. These maps could be on "manacube level". As you might know, Manacube is a very beginner friendly parkour server. I think it would give new players another way of getting into the parkour world. Another idea would be to add hidden tags on big maps. You could either get a tag if you complete a very hard map, or if you find a hidden Tag (usually a sign to click). Anyways, after 5k hours over all parkourservers and 4.2k hours on manacube i have the opinion that parkour should remain 1.8.9. Another aspect of parkour is that in some later version the facings got removed. This, to me, always was a skill, that new players needed to learn before they got more into parkour. Maybe for the casual player 1.20 might be better, but for the people that actually mastered parkour over the years, 1.20 would be like learning a completely new game.
Couldnt agree more. Wise words.